My RFGT40 project progress....

Yes, I know I have been away from this site for a little while. But it was for goooood reason. I have put in some real quality time into my build.
grin.gif

Since I started building on September 5th I have managed to complete the following.....
All panels bent drilled and afixed

The fuel system is in and done. That includes all the fuel floats that are in the tank and all the pumps.

All the brake lines are finished and
installed.

Steering rack and column fitted

Shift lever in. (won't be complete til
trans is in).

Clutch lines in.

Air contioning hoses and evaporator trial fitted and all hoses hooked up except to condensor which comes way later.

I am hopeful of getting the body parts fit within the next two weeks. I want to have the GT on the suspension before Christmas.
I am taking some suspension parts over to the ceramic coater Tuesday so they will be ready when I need them.
I gotta say that so far I have found this Kit to be well engineered and thought out.
I have had few problems. Most were because of mine being the first left hand drive from RF. When I call them they are always helpful and take the time to answer my questions.

I sent pictures to Ron Earp. If he wishes he can post them here. I have no way of doing that at this time.
Well guys, that's about it for now so I will be at it again tomorrow morning.
grin.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Hershal,

That is awesome! I'm only now finishing the panels, but I'm having fun. I will have to give you a call on a couple of things that I have questions about. Please send some new photos over, I've got a few older ones but not new ones. I'll put'em up as soon as I get them,

Ron

Got the pics, they were on the other email. I'll put them up.

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

Ron, That's what happens when you retire. You have all the time in the world to work on little projects like.
Hersh, you mean it's not finished yet? What's taking so long?

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Hershal,

Now that you're a reasonable length of time into the build what do you think is a realistic time for total number of hours to complete a RF car - start to finish?

Ron

Hershal,

Can't wait to see your pictures. Sounds like you are catching up to Jay and I. Jay is fitting the body now while we wait for parts. Going with the 351C stroker created a lot of problems(i.e. didn't fit). It's installed now and looks really mean. George did an outstanding job on the headers and collector.

One thing for sure, we'll see you at DVSFII with the GT40(provided Jay and I can agree on the color).

Keith

Thanks Ron for posting the pictures. I think it's still hard to tell how many more hours it will take. My best guesstimate is maybe 400 more hours. I got the steering in today and found
that the mid bulk head panel has the hole in the wrong place for a lefthand drve. I have to move it up 1 1/2" and over 1". This is what happens when you get the first LH drive car.
grin.gif

Gordon, besides gettin' old I'm slower than I used to be so I need that extra retirement time to do this thing.
grin.gif

Hey Kieth, I don't think I am going to catch Jay. He's way too far ahead, unless you guys take a good long tome to pick that color
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif
I can't wait to see your GT and all the other at the Fling. I'm sure I will make it there but I am trying to have it ready for Knotts. If I get it done and there by then Robert owes me a steak dinner. If I don't I buy the steaks. I don't like losing.
wink.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
I thought I'd include a quick update on mine and a picture. I'm going to try and redo the build sites on GT40s.com so people can post their on pics easily.

I'm not nearly as far along as Hershal. Basically I've finished the panels and I'm going back and putting the final touches on them and powedercoating some. Here is a photo of my first powder coated panel, it turned out pretty good. Easy to do.

I've still got to do a little more with the engine bay panels, those I will not powder coat however.

firstpcpanel.JPG

As far as builds go I think we I get done with all of these then I'll be where the Sabre and ERA folks start - a chassis that is ready for brake lines, etc.

I think the paneling can be done in 100 hours or less, I'm just slow due to home and work demands.

Ron

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Hershyl

Any more updates of your car? I was in the RF workshop when your car was being packed away into it's box, days before it was delivered.
Keen to see your progress!
grin.gif

Hi Bill,
Yes, I have made a little more progress. I am finished with the most of the chassis. I am now fitting the spyder and rear clip. It is coming along nicely. I have the first left hand drive that RF made so there were a few small issues that I resolved quickly. I also passed this info over to RF for future reference.
Bill, I will post some more photos soon.
Well it's back to the shop and start wrestleing that spyder.
grin.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

Hershal,
All the pictures look great. Congrats on a job well done. I'm glad to see you're back to having fun with it. Keep up all the good work, it's motivational for the rest of us. The 2nd L.H.D should be in the first week of December or so. I will let you know ASAP. See you on the 9th,
John

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Hi Guys,

After seeing what is involved with the RF, I feel like a bit of a cheat. My DRB started life as a full body/chassis assembly, so all the panel work was done - all that is needed is to "JUST" add everything else !!

I'll have a go at some pics ...

My car - front view ('87 Corvette front susp)
fe1a0128.jpg

My car - front view (with lights at last !) http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p5ee93410751ee33442a1f88667037268/fe1a0122.jpg

Friend Steve Shedden's car (also a DRB, finished, registered, running & awesome !) http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p536f91a25943295ef7eef86bee90b20c/fe1a011b.jpg

Hey Peter,

The car looks great. When did you get your

rolling chassis and how long do you think it

will take to finish? I want to know if I

made the right choice going with a minus/

minus car. I have to applaud the RF guys

for their patience and dedication.

Regards,

Bill
DRB GT40/0035
351 Windsor/750 Holley
GD50 Transaxle

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Hi Bill,

I got the body/chassis, engine & trans, & suspension at the beginning of August. The previous owner had run out of time & bought the local dealer's finished car & left him with the beginnings of my car. A long & complicated story, but I ended up swapping my '89 Corvette for the GT40. The first month was spent stripping all of the bitumous paint off the GT - the previous owner had sprayed it everywhere ! Given this, I guess that I really started the "build" in September, & my plan is to finish the car in 12-18 months. So far, I have almost finished the inside front & am about half way through the inside cabin section. I have also got all of the outside filled & blocked back to 100 grade (the whole house is covered in fine blue dust - boy am I popular !).

I assume that your ref to a "minus - minus" car is one that is complete except for motor & gearbox - if this is the case - smart move ! (says me, covered in blue gel-coat dust & itchy fibre-glass dust).

All in all, I am very happy with the DRB - apart from minor building challenges, I think that it will turn out to be a really sound car. When is yours due for delivery ?

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Hi Peter,

Isn't working with polyester fun. NOT!!!

I work with epoxy quite a bit, and it is

dreamy by comparison. Polyester is more

flexible so I guess it's best for our

purposes.

You must be putting in a lot of time on

your car to get as far as you have. At the

rate you are going you'll be done in no

time at all.

I will have my engine finished in about

a month, and should have my gearbox done at

about the same time. I am waiting on some

351W heads and a Quaiff LSD for my gearbox.

After that, I just have to wait for the car

to arrive.

The car should be ready sometime in

January. I'm leaning towards air freighting

it here, as shipboard would take so much

longer. I hope to have it on the road in a

month at the outside, barring any unforseen

snags.

As of right now my car is at the paint

shop, hopefully nearing completion. Peter

Ransom said he would send photos after the

painting (Cobalt blue metallic clearcoat)

was done. I can't wait to see it!

I hope all is going well with your car.

please keep us posted on your progress.

Regards,
Bill
DRB GT40/0035

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Hi Bill,

Couldn't agree more on polyester vs epoxy - I am building an 8ft model of Nat Herreshof's 1915 schooner Mariette - hull is epoxy/glass over balsa & it is so much better to work with than polyester.

I am lucky enough to work from home, so I can slip the odd half hour in on the car whilst waiting for fax's & emails.

Are you going to go for carbs or fuel injection on your beast ? We have a problem here in NSW that GT40's are considered to be new cars & have to meet the emission rules. If you want carbs here, you have to send the car to another state (with less stringent rules) to get it registered, then transfer the rego to NSW. I am going to use the DC&O 8-throttle body FI system - it can be tweaked to meet the emission standards for NSW rego, then you can take it home & dial up some serious (illegal) performance !

Colour - what a co-incidence ! If your colour is the same as the small pic on the home page, that is exactly what I plan for mine !

This weekend saw the centre tunnel completed - I decided to raise the back of it some 12mm - this gives me a flush mating across all floor ridges & a bit more room for pipes leaving the back of the tunnel.

The next couple of weeks will revolve around the doors - exterior handles, cable mechanisms, etc.

Re the freight - if I was as close to getting the finished car in my hands, I would probably sell a couple of the kids & have the thing sent over on the space shuttle !!

When Peter sends you the pics, I would love to have a look.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Hey Peter,

It must be coincidence about the color.

I picked it after seeing a Porsche Boxter

painted Cobalt Blue. I'm going with the

Porsche paint.

My engine is a 351 Windsor with:

1. 750 Edelbrock carb

2. Edelbrock aluminum heads

3. Edelbrock dual plane manifold

4. 9.5:1 pistons

5. Crane cam

6. Electronic distributor

7. Balanced and blueprinted

It should push a little over 400HP.

That's a shame about your emissions

regulations. I'm sure you'll enjoy the

injection as much as a carb, just more$$$.

I love the idea of selling a child! As a

matter of fact, I have a thirteen year old

that I would sell at a bargain price right

now. Any takers?

As soon as I receive those pictures, I'll

send them along, as well as some of my

engine.

Regards,

Bill

DRB GT40/0035

Back