Mirages

Hi, does anybody have any data on the relative merits of the Mirage GT40's?
I understand 3 were built, one was crashed etc.
Was the new body more slippery?
(they seem to have been busy with spoilers and dive planes at that time as well)
And has anyone ever made a quality replica?
{I realise they look like a GT40 morphed into a Lola T-70 :) }
Thanks
Rob
wink.gif

Robert,

I read somewhere that they were hoping to
lose some weight as well as improve aerodynamics. It must not have had a positive
effect as they rebuilt one of the two
surviving Mirages back to a GT40(1074) The
cockpit of a Mirage must have been a little
tight, as they were still right hand drive,
not centerline like a MacLaren F1. Still,
it was a sharp looking car!

Bill

As far as I know, the Mirages were an attempt by Ford Great Britain to develop the GT40 further.
The standard GT40 cockpit was considerably wider than the regulations allowed, causing excessive drag.
Len Bailey picked three tubs to modify. The most visible modification was the squaring off of the front of the monocoque, as distinct from the semi-circular cut out on the standard tub.
The front body panel was similar to the MkI GT40, although without the twin nostril radiator vent. Extra driving lights were fitted underneath the headlights, and small canard fins fitted just ahead of the front wheel arches.
The major difference in appearance was in the centre section and rear body cover, this being fitted with three NACA ducts.
The Cd was down to 0.33 from 0.35, and the weight reduced by 200lbs.
Regulations were changed for 1967 giving the Mirages only one season to prove their worth. Out of 14 race starts, they won 5 races! Pretty good with basically two chassis to work with.
At the end of the season, it was thought that chassis M1002 was converted to the great GT40/1075, and M1003 to GT40/1074.
A brief but very successful career.
Finally, may I wish all GT40 fans a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Long may the Forum flourish - It is a wonderful source of inspiration.

smile.gif
smile.gif

I wonder if any body moulds exist for the Mirage?
Or if anybody had made a decent replica??

Rob
grin.gif

Re: Mirage aerodynamics..
Measurement of photos of the GT40's seem to show a reduction in frontal area of something very close to 0.5 sq ft...combining that with a reduction in drag coefficient from 0.35 to 0.32, would place the drag figure at approx 89% of the "1075" body...almost precisely that of the standard width car!!
Rob

I have a RealPlayer video clip that looks at chassis 1076 as raced in 1968. The clip calls the car a "redeveloped and refined" MkI. It was build by JW Engineering and called a MkIB. It says that along with the widened fenders, the MKIB had a much narrower roofline than the MKI. Interesting...

Hi guys, sorry for asking the question , but why were they converted ? If they had better aerodynamics(better fuel mileage and top speed, 2 great advantages on a 24 hr race) would it made more sense to run them with the engines in 1074/75 ?

[ January 07, 2002: Message edited by: FIA289 ]

Most likely because the Mirages were never homologated (only built 3, needed to sell 50) while the MK I's were and so could compete in the production classes after the rules change in '68. Just my guess. Maybe someone else has more info.

[ January 07, 2002: Message edited by: Orin Meyer ]

I believe that the Mirages were 5 litre V8's??
The "200" lb reduction: was that from the 1075 7 litre spec, or the much lighter small block, I wonder?
Gt40 history gurus may know this one off the top of their heads :p

Rob
shocked.gif

The RealPlayer file I have of 1076 is 2.7 megs, about 10 minutes long. If anyone has a place to place to post it, leave me know your email address and I'll send it. I only have a 28.8 connection, so it makes it difficult to email too many times.
my email is [email protected]

According to the video, 1076 was 4.9 liters, about 400 HP with Gruney/Westlake heads.

G

There is an excellent chapter on the Mirages in Ronnie Spain's book. The cars were Len Bailey designed and built at JWA in Slough, England. Basically, the Mirages were constructed as lightweight racers (lighter chassis, body and suspension) and competed in Group 4 and Group 6 with, variously, 305 and 351 engines. The peculiar thing is that, because of the name, Ford was unable to claim any of the championship points the cars won. A change in rules for the prototype category for 1968 effectively made the Mirages obsolete but two of them were rebuilt as 1074 and 1075, each with the lightweight Mirage chassis and new lightweight roof structures and carbon fibre reinforced lightweight front and rear ends. The rest is history, 1075 being the only car to win Le Mans twice...

Cheers, Brian.

brian . i am pretty certain 1075 was not a rebuilt mirage but i think that a lot of the trick bits from the mirage programme were incorporated in it regards norman

brian woooops i think i'm wrong on 1075 it appears now i'm home that you are right . i knew there were three mirages . one still exists , one i though to have been written off and one became 1074. but the one written off became 1074 and the remaining one became 1075. i hope that makes sense but it's getting pretty late here so i best go to bed regards norman

Chris,

Is that the genuine article?

If so, I'd be scared to see the sticker

price on it! Where is the car? Who is the

lucky owner? etc., etc., etc.

Great photo by the way!

Bill

cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

This car is M.10001 it was owned by Bill Kontes Chekered Flag in Vineland, New Jersey in 1984 then it was restored by
Glenn Roberts in 1986. Who owns this car now I don't, know but as the only Mirage in the world poss over $1,000000
MirageNo14-01.jpg

Back