Scratchbuilt 'Kiwi 40' goes racing.

Good to see that the third gear issue was not really a problem at all Russ, you guys must have had enough all nighters by now on this car. I thought that 'laid back' attitude on my flying visit on thursday was a bit too relaxed!!!!

I could fill pages with my thoughts on MSNZ & their bright ideas, but its a waste of time as most have serious hearing & eyesight problems ( even worse than mine:), and have never ever built or raced a car with their 'own' money, one guy told me recently that they are so clever that eventually they will run race meetings without cars or people, thats the sort of mentality we are dealing with...

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Russ
If 3rd worked and then you could not select I would suspect something moved.

I was having gear selector problems for a couple of weeks - found the problem at Santa Pod when I broke an engine mount! - It had been telling me but I was obviously not listening correctly.

Ian

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Russ
If 3rd worked and then you could not select I would suspect something moved.

I was having gear selector problems for a couple of weeks - found the problem at Santa Pod when I broke an engine mount! - It had been telling me but I was obviously not listening correctly.

Ian

Sort of Ian. Thanks for the thought. The lever is in a different position to how I had it last season.This is the root cause, and was only just engaging. After a few laps the change rod which runs underneath the exhausts and only a couple of mm from them picked up enough heat that the thermal expansion meant the movement restricted lever/rod could not move the g/box shaft far enough forward to properly engage. Getting worse the hotter it got. That was the only problem.

Had qualifying and one race today. There were classics on the program so I entered for that, rather than the OSCA races.

Did a warm up lap then on my first timed lap put in a 1:32.7 figured that was enough for pole, so came in. About a second better than my previous best, and still a lot of scope for improvement. But no point in beating the crap out of it when there is no need.

I took pole by a reasonable margin, so I elected to start from the back of the grid for the 5 lap scratch race. Makes things more interesting for me and the paying spectators.... Came through the 24 car field to win no problem. Once again the car received a lot of favorable comment.

Three races tomorrow and no all nighters beforehand. Car is sweet!:pepper:

Russ,
Isn't it amazing how some time, diligence and little patience pays off. I am beginning to see that with my build as well. Keep on progressing and we'll see how it pays off.

Bll

Geez, not a word from Russ Noble, must still be out celebrating... I just checked on My Laps.. Four Wins from Four Starts......whats next, a Gurney Bubble??. Well done guys:):)

:chug: :chug: :chug:

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Well I think Jac Macs said it all. Basically spreadeagled the Classic field starting from the back of the grid.

No real issues although with the better rubber I can brake harder and deeper into the corners so the softer pads that I had fitted towards the end of last season were starting to go away towards the end of the races. So no improvements in the lap times achieved in qualifying

There is a Club Race meeting this weekend at Ruapuna. I will fit the harder pads and enter in the over 3000cc Saloon class instead of Classics. This is an unrestricted class and sports some pretty quick Jappo turbo cars that are a bit faster than I am currently. Should give me something to aim for.... Hope to see some further improvement in my lap times. Provided the weather holds.....

This week I have the normal myriad of small jobs to do that result from a days racing. I am still finding items that need slight improvement and modification.

I will try and get the incar camera set up before the SFOS series. Unfortunately I cooked the camera and a few other electricals when I accidentally knocked the battery charger switch onto 24V earlier last season. :furious: I'm sure there will be be some good footage to be had at SFOS.
Great that I can now contemplate such peripheral issues :chug:

yup , my mate in the sp250 tells me you had an amazing run. very impressive. regards steve

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Steve. Yeah it was a good day!

Club Day 2 at Ruapuna last Sunday was even better! And saw me entering in the Unrestricted Club Saloons class which sported some frequently raced and well sorted cars. I was up against Porsche GT2 and GT3 cars and a gaggle of RX7 Batmans, the quickest of which was running V8 power.

Qualifying was relatively uneventful and I posted by best time yet at 1:32.124 to put me P4 on the grid. Beaten by a GT2 on 1:31.371, the V8 Batman 1:29.493 and a GT3 1:28.677. The plan for the race was to try and hang on to the black GT2 who was a second quicker than I was and hopefully to improve my lap times by trying to keep up with him over the 8 laps.

However as so often happens in motor racing the plan went out the window when the flag dropped. I got a real blinder of a start and managed to get past them all to lead into the first corner. Surely it would only be a matter of time until I got done by the faster cars. My mirrors were full of the white GT3 who had qualified 3½ seconds faster, and the other two cars were in close attendance also. This continued until the GT3 spun and his place was taken by the V8 Batman. I could hold them in a straight line but without the aero it was pretty hair raising in the turns and I was expecting a lunge down the inside every corner. The pressure was on and every completed lap had me wondering how much longer I could hold them out. The Last Lap board was shown and I had to try and hold it together for the last lap. It seemed like it would never end but onto the start finish straight for the last time and I was still in front and knew that it was mine. A win by ½ sec from the V8 Batman! A mighty race and even better my best lap time had come down to 1:30.391. Nothing like a bit of pressure!

Next race was a reverse grid race and I was off Grid 27 with one of those three fastest alongside me and the other two behind. For this 6 lapper I got another good start and managed to work my way through the field all the while expecting to be gobbled up by the quick cars. Didn't happen and I got past all the cars in front to win by less than ½ sec from the GT3. With the traffic, most of the laps were in the 1:31 range but my fastest was 1:30.723. Not too bad I felt.

The next race was a 6 lap handicap race and they had me off the back of the grid on 73 secs while the other three quicker cars were in front of me off 70 sec. This was going to be a hard nut to crack and I was really focussed on the job in hand and it took total concentration. The GT3 won it with a best time of 1:30.446 I finished 4th and was next fastest on 1:30.484.

However a big wake up call, I was that busy concentrating on what I was doing that I missed seeing a few critical flags and wound up getting penalised for passing a car under the yellow flag, two others under double waved yellows and ignoring a drive thru penalty. I never saw any of them. Quite justifiably I got hauled off to talk to the Stewards who fortunately must have been having a good day. Got a 60 sec penalty added to my race time so that relegated me to 14th. No monetary fine, no suspension. Very, very, lucky!

The last race of the day was a 6 lap scratch race combining all classic cars and club cars. No formal grid, first up best dressed. I managed to get out quickly and grab Grid 1. On flag fall I soon cleared out to a comfortable lead and I was getting a bit adventurous trying different lines, trying to go in deeper and cut later apexes so I could get the power down earlier. Well the theory was good but I wound up spinning it on the 2nd lap and collected a bit of damage so I decided to head for the pits and call it a day.

Not too bad though, first spin this season. The car is really predictable and I can get it out of shape and it will come back, unlike last season when the merest indiscretion saw it heading for the kitty litter or worse...

When I first started building this car I had my eyes firmly on the Classic Sports/GT lap record which at the time was 1:30.5 held by a T70 driven from memory by American Tom Malloy. I can now comfortably go under that but in the intervening years that has been lowered to 1:29.5 by NZer Murray Sinclair in his beautiful wee Chevron B16. So that is another challenge. I think when I get a bit more used to the car that it will be doable. Time will tell.

Levels Raceway this weekend where I will again be running in the Club Saloons class. Another Sunday only meeting. Although there are some fibreglass and front subframe and radiator repairs to do before that! One day we'll just be able to polish it between races, I hope.

Last edited:
Russ I am impressed. You are doing really well. And pushing the boundaries, trying new lines and rythmns of driving, as you are doing, you are going to occasionally have a whoopsie. But you are having fun and thrashing everyone!!! Go for it.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Awesome Russ. Can't wait to see you strutting your stuff at SFOS.

Attachments

• 14112010685.jpg
    14112010685.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_4039.jpg
    IMG_4039.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_4034.jpg
    IMG_4034.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 469

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Glad to hear Russ is OK. Was there a mechanical failure, or was it just a racing incident ??
At any rate, I'm sure he's sore.
Regards Brian

Ive spoken with Lim this morning, Russ will have a few bruises etc, it appears that it happened at end of main straight @ Levels Timaru, fastest part of track, not sure of exact circumstances, but in practice & dont think any other car involved, sounds like it might be due to an unforseen 'outside' factor which Russ had no warning of..dont mean to create conjecture, but best we wait for further info on that.

Going by middle pic, if you enlarge it the bell housing is broken & shifter mechanism has taken a hard hit into the embankment along with a lot of other collateral damage.

Back