Shipping

RF handles the shipping arrangements.
They will notify you as to the flight number and arrival time. You will have to make arrangements with a customs broker to get it
through customs if you can't be at the port of entry. My shipping fee to Phoenix was
$3500. The broker was about $175. The
custom imoprt tax was under $500.
My car came through the Los Angeles Customs.
I used Clarke International Ser. Inc.
John Clarke
1-310-671-7990
They will fax you a power of attorney form that you sign and fax back so they can sign the
release papers on your behalf. All charges will be put on your credit card. After my car cleared customs it was sent to Phoenix
airport at the united frieght terminal where
I showed up with my trailer and paper work.
I was loaded and gone in less than an hour.

Hersh
smile.gif

Ron,
I don't think Robert will want to ship my DRB, but you never know! That air freight
price sounds too good to be true. I was
quoted up to $16K to Baltimore, MD. OUCH!!
I'm going to call Gibson Freight tonight.
Finally found their phone #, but no email
address.
Hersh,
I only hope that my car gets here as easily
as yours. I'll try Clarke Int'l today.

Thanks guys,

Bill
DRB GT40/0035
Cobalt Blue Metallic
351W/400HP/G50

Ron Earp

Admin
Sh**! I completely forgot about that, I do know DRB is Australian as well.

I think it was Gibson that did it, but Robert has some good connections there that might have influenced things. I never saw the invoice, just paid Robert directly and I certainly appreciated his and RF's attention to detail in getting the car here quickly AND in one piece. They did an outstanding job.

I used the same folks Hershal did, they've done 3 or 4 RF cars and they've all worked well.

DRB needs to crate the car up for you and make the crate dimensions that will fit in a 767 class aircraft or larger. Then you should be set.

If you cannot find anyone I have some friends at AIT frieght that can get it here and I think it was reasonably priced. This was back before I found out that RF took care of the arrangements for me.

Good luck,

Ron

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

Ron,

Don't feel bad. I get Old Timer's Disease
sometimes too! AKA CRS... Can't remember SH..!
Thanks for your kind offer of help. If I
can't find anyone to do the job, I'll be in
touch about your friend at AIT.

Regards,

Bill
DRB GT40/0035
Cobalt Blue Metallic
351W/400HP/G50
750 Edelbrock
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

If you haven't done so already, you might want to call the airlines direct (i.e. Quantas, United, etc.) and ask them for Cargo Sales. United's Cargo sales number in Sydney is 01161293178911. Alternatively, maybe the folks at www.gt40.co.nz could help you, as they list typical freight charges from New Zealand to various cities on their web site.

Mark,

I have called and/or emailed about 20
freight companies and airlines. Some are
reluctant because they think there might
be fuel in the car. Others do not send large enough planes to Australia. Some just flat
out don't reply. This boils down to knowing
someone in Australia who can do your legwork
for you. I didn't want to drop this in DRB's
lap, but if I can't get something arranged in the next week or so, that's what I'll
have to do.
Thanks for the United #. I'll give it a try.

Bill
DRB GT40/0035
Cobalt Blue Metallic
351W/400HP/G50
750 Edelbrock

G

I would definitely use Calrke International as your broker. He has done two cars for me. Kit cars and vintage cars is his specialty. To use him you need the flight/ship to enter the US in Los Angeles and then connect form there. My shipping charges were the same as quoted above and was to Dallas. The LA to Dallas segment had a UA flight number and was delivered to the DFW airport but was actually sent by truck from Los Angeles after clearing customs.

Does anyone have any information on the

freight company(s) that Roaring Forties uses

to ship their cars to the USA? HELP!!! I

am having no luck finding a shipper that is

even remotely reasonable in price. I would

greatly appreciate any suggestions. I was

told that they use Gibson Freight, but was

unable to contact them for a quote

Bill

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Roaring Forties will probably take care of the arrangements for you. The cost is reasonable, at least for NC air freight delivery it was about $3k, maybe a little more as I can't remember exactly.

Moving by ship is an option, but it takes about 6 weeks and the cost is still high, about $2500.

Ron

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I have had some experiance shipping cars from the UK via both air and ship. The trick with air is let the shipment go on a space available basis, i.e. not a "hurry". On this way the car will fly out usually within a few day, quicker than surface but at a much better rate. We used to bring ACs in for around $3000.00 to New York or Toronto. Brought the AC polished 289 show car into Toronto in 1999 for about $2500.00.

Surface we used to put two cars into a 40' container and ship in to the port for around $2200.00.

Sent a car back to the UK in 2000 in a 20' container for about $2100.00.

Also do not tell the freight broker that the 40 is a "car", rather a kit of parts. They will charge more for a car as they preceive a higher value to you and therefor assume you will pay more.

I imported a Safir GT40 MK V form the UK in 1986 via Toronto on Air Canada and as I recall it was less then $2000.00 at that time.

Shop around, the time you spend will be worth it.

Rick
smile.gif
smile.gif

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: Mark IV ]

Rick,

Car? What's that? Definitely car parts.

What get's my goat is the price range. Up

to $16,000USD. I assume there are lots of

middle men and palms to grease. From

what I'm hearing here on the Forum, I'm

sure I'll find someone willing to ship my

car for less than an arm or a leg.

It's hard to be patient and shop around

when I am so close to getting my car! I

should have my engine completed today. At

least I can sit in my garage, looking at

it, and dream of what's yet to come!

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Bill
DRB GT40/0035
Cobalt Blue Metallic
351W/400HP/G50
750 Edelbrock

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Bill,
Has your car arrive yet? Many folks are interested in hearing about the thrill of unpacking it and your initial comments about the project. Brian

Brian,

No car yet.

It won't be finished until the end of the month. Shipping is scheduled for 2/7/02, so I should have it here by the 15th. As of now, the interior finish is pretty much the only major thing left. Some minor wiring
details, throw the wheels and tires on,
install the window cutouts, steering wheeel, some trim, carpet, seats, etc.
I'll keep you posted.

Bill

Malcolm,

Peter Ransom of DRB did put me in contact with a number of shippers that he has worked with previously. However, neither he, nor the previous owner of DRB, Denis Bedford, had ever shipped a car by air, nor had any of the people he put me in contact with.
I wanted to air freight my car, so I went looking around the globe for a shipper on
my own.
After many weeks of searching, and many
suggestions by members here(many thanks by the way to Ron,Hersh,Robert, et al), I came up with Gibson Freight as the best suited for the job. The final tally was $6,160USD, including customs duty from Brisbane,QLD,AUS to Baltimore,Md, for those who might be interested.
You can't say DRB was unhelpful. On the contrary, they were as helpful as possible,
considering their lack of experience with
air freight. I would imagine that they had
better things to do than spend hours and
hours e-mailing and telephoning different
companies trying to make air freight arrangements. For me, it was not difficult, just time consuming.
DRB has been very much on the ball through the entire building process. The only problem in the construction of my car was sourcing headlamps for a left hand drive
car to fit a DRB. Aside from that minor
detail, and the shipping issue, the entire experience has been a breeze.

Bill

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

G

Can anyone else see the pictures? I get forbidden Access Denied.

G

Bill Bayard,
I take it you did not check out the shipping costs before buying this car.
Why is it that DRB is not helping you with the shipping as far as finding a shipper?.
You would think if they want to sell cars in the states, they would have this taken care of this for you.
This does not speak well for DRB if they have left you to the wolfes. Robert logan (RF) has taken care of this side of the sale of his cars. He is also in Australia and has done his job on the shipping issue. All I can say is if you want to buy a car from Australia, deal with the Cork man Logan. I think Logan is ANGLO-IRISH.

Bill and GT40 Freak -

The car looks awesome. I know you must be very anxious to get the car. Be sure to post pics of it's arrival, and one of your expression as it's unloaded.

Bill D
grin.gif

Back