Julian,

Ford can't rate wheel(propeller)horsepower
without knowing the application,i.e. straight
drive,V-drive or inboard outboard, which
would all be different. If they are rating
a marine engine at 250HP then it must be at
the flywheel. The "marine" designation
refers to the cooling system(engine&exhaust),
and sometimes the direction of engine rotation, when twin engines are involved.

Bill

Re: 302 spec\'s

Merc used the 302 a number of years ago 1978, at that time it produced 188 HP @ the crank small carb, OMC usedit for a short time with a little more power ratting 205 HP you must remember that the HP is ratted at low RPM 38-4200 MAX in marine use in 1978

Gents,

this engine was supplied new with a GTD kit & is un-modified, driving thru a Renault 'box.

Owner seemed to think it had larger mains & big-ends.

G

Julian

I guess you are looking into marine engines due to what is in those two second hand cars out there. GTD used to supply the marine engine as the standard engine with their kits some time back. I always thought they had 275 bhp at the flywheel in standard set up. The holley carb was quite small. The other difference I knew of was how many bolts held on the crank shaft pulley being different to a road engine ie three instead of four or vice versa (long time since I looked at that bit of my car, but maybe I should as once the harmonic balancer was loose! Cost me a new crankshaft that.)

Anyway as a starting point for an engine it is ok. You should be able to change carb and heads etc as you would any other engine with aftermarket bits to suit yourself.

If these are the type of engine in the cars for sale then I would also guess that they were supplied brand new as crate motors.

Malcolm

Julian, most of the engines used by GTD during 1989-1995 were maring -industrial use versions (as they had no emission controls) While i was at the factory we must have imported over one hundred. These base unit is around 260 at the crank as malcolm says. It is a good base unit to work from, it is similar to the GT40 base lower end. Heads and cam being different. Induction did not come with the GT40 package, though a standard cast iron manifold did come with the marine unit. An edelbrock manifold such as performer two and a 600 vac sec holley work well on the engine. As does a msd ignition system. The points close up at high RPM 5200! Later versions had electronic which can be used with a MSD 6al.
MArine engines after 1986 had a three bolt lower pulley. They were made up til 1992 i believe. Ford still had stock though. Hope this helps.
Mark

Back