SSTL Panels Instead of Aluminum

I started to think (dangerous, I know) about the use of SSTL panels in critical areas like the bulkhead and floor as done by Hersh. This sounds like a good idea, but I want to take it a step further. Would there be any advantage to welding these panels in place using 316 or 347 SSTL weld wire.

This would make for a very strong structure and make it similar to a monocoque chassis.

Comments?

Bill D

Bill,
There are several panels that you could weld in place. However there are some panels best left riveted or screwed in place. I know on the RF GT40 you must remove a couple panels to get the steering rack out.
Also the panels in the engine bay that surroung the area where the fuel pumps are should be removable. It just makes it easier to change a filter or work on the system. All the panels on the center console should be removable so you can get at the water pipes.The inside bulkhead panels could be welded and the front lower footbox panels could be welded too, if you cut them where the steering rack goes through so you can remove them.
I luv this stainless. It looks sooo good.
grin.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

Back