Rear tires and wheels w Gulf flares

G

Guys,

I thought I'd use 335 x 35 x 17" tires on 12" rims on the car.

However, in placing the flares on the body and checking the available clearance ... my Golly there is a LOT of room. Body line will look very muscular indeed!

What is standard practice for tires and wheels on a Mark I with Gulf flares?

Mike, look at an earlier posting re wheels and tyres, and look at details of what we use on Robin Batts GTD, WHICH HAS GULF ARCHES,and runs Goodyear Blue Streaks. There are also several pictures on the forum that will help you. Frank

G

Frank,

Have spent considerable time looking through the old posts search for tyres, tires, gulf, and flairs. Did find the post you're talking about ... but old tire sizes don't translate to widths and new tire sizes for me very easily.

Thank you very much for your reminder of what's on the board (sometimes I do miss things and always appreciate a reminder), but in this case I had done my homework pretty well.

Others ...

Would still appreciate any information about the tires that folks use on GT40's with Gulf flairs (arches) ... especially data on currently available high speed street tires (335 and larger).

thanks!

Ron Earp

Admin
Mike,

were your flares integrated into the original mold, or were they bond on bits similar to all the others I've seen as well, ERA/RF/GTD/Tornado etc?

I assume when you mention those large tires
those only fit with the Gulf flares. What is the largest that fit without the flares?

Hope your build is going well,

Ron

G

Ron,

The flairs are the bond-on (cut away the underneath) type seen elsewhere.

I believe that Wayne reports that he has mounted 315 x 35 x 17" tires on 11" rims. Typical seems to be about 285 thought.

Build is improving. Starting to get over some of the humps in the way. The rear clip is fitted. The front and rear suspensions are complete save anti-sway bars which are ordered. The rack is in. The shifter and emeergency brake are in. The pedal tower and arms are in. The brake master is mounted.

The next two things appear to be challenging ... steering column/wheel, and the fit of the front clip/scuttle/dash.

The steering column is a problem because I have the pieces for the wrong parts of two different designs. Will have to cut the column I have and make a new column mounting block. Thank Heavens for the milling machine!

After that, I suspect there will be challenges, but it's mostly just work.

How's yours coming along?

Back