15” Tires for 8” Front and 10” Rear BRM style wheels to go on an RCR40

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Hoping for some guidance / sources for 15” tires for 8” front and 10” rear BRM style wheels to go on an RCR40. I would like a period correct look, i.e., big, bold lettering. Also wondering if there is any preference for bias ply vs radial. Not going to go with Avon or similar because this car will be mostly used on the street with an occasional track day.

Cheers, Randy

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Why not go with Avons (while you still can)? My car is used exactly as you intend to use yours (i.e. mainly street use with the very occasional track day) and the Avons have been superb. In fact I have another set sitting in the basement ready to be put on in another 200 miles or so. Only drawback was having to paint the lettering on myself.

Extra 1 copy 2.jpg

Mike Pass

Supporter
The Avon cr6zz tyres are exactly what you need. They are pricey but excellent. I have been using them on my GTD for 15 years I use 215/60 x 15 front on 8" wheels and 275/55 x 15 rear on 10" wheels. Mostly road use with occasional track use - perfect for both. Everybody I know uses them on 15" wheels.
Cheers
Mike

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Why not go with Avons (while you still can)? My car is used exactly as you intend to use yours (i.e. mainly street use with the very occasional track day) and the Avons have been superb. In fact I have another set sitting in the basement ready to be put on in another 200 miles or so. Only drawback was having to paint the lettering on myself.

View attachment 131932
My concern with Avons, and similar, is that my engine dynoed at 533hp and has ridiculous low rpm torque. My understanding is that if I accidentally side step the clutch with those sticky tires, the drive train could fail.

Are your Avons bias ply?

Randy Folsom

Supporter
The Avon cr6zz tyres are exactly what you need. They are pricey but excellent. I have been using them on my GTD for 15 years I use 215/60 x 15 front on 8" wheels and 275/55 x 15 rear on 10" wheels. Mostly road use with occasional track use - perfect for both. Everybody I know uses them on 15" wheels.
Cheers
Mike
Thx for the info. How many miles can you get out your Avons?

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Mine have done 11,000 mikes. There's still maybe a 1000 to 1500 miles left on them, but I figure I'll change them soon to be on the safe side.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
My wheels are 15 x 12 and 15 x 8.5. Tyres are 295/50VR15 and 215/60VR15.

Back