Wiggle room.

I was wondering what the experience of the group has been with haggling with the GT-40 replica car companies.

Do they tend to stand firm or is there a little bit of play in their price?

For example, on a $16,000 kit, might they (I know it depends on the comany, timing, etc.) be inclined to "let it go" for $15,000? $14,000?

Thanks.

Darrin,

The prices of foreign built cars do fluctuate occasionally due to currency exchange rates going up and down.
However,I doubt that there is much room, if any, for haggling on prices.

Bill

Darrin, I agree with Bill. It's not like you are going to go to a manufacturer and find a big pile of kits hanging around a get a sale. I would think that these folks pace their production properly in order not to have stock gathering dust. I had about a 6 month wait for mine.
As Bill indicated, the exchange rates have impacted my purchases.

Brian

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: Brian ]

Ron Earp

Admin
I agree, I doubt there is much room. But, exchange rates do have an impact - Roaring Forties recently lowered their prices to reflect the stronger US dollar in relation to the AUS dollar. So, that is somewhat helpful to us US folks.

ron

You guys will all think I'm nuts,but I purchased my replica in stages with a credit card, taking advantage of the immediate exchange rate. Fortunately for me the pound kept sliding over time. But it completely eliminated the whole wiring money hassle and having the folks on both ends skimming their pay off the top. It was also cheaper than buying pounds over here and sending them to the UK. Brian

G

One thing I find curious is that no kit maker
I know of offers a savings by buying the entire kit at once vs buying stages over time. This is great for many of us since it's hard to come up with a big outlay.

But you'd think they'd WANT to offer an incentive for buyers to order entire kit
at once. Are their margins that slim?
Hard to believe.

MikeD

G

I am building my third kit and the last two came from England and Australia. When I asked for a better price, I was asked what I would like to delete from my order. I did however benefit greatly from the exchange rates.

G

Canceled order can we say CMC. That was their gimic. I made an inquiry to CMC when they were in business. I received numerous calls about a cobra on a truck in my area being refused or a dealer canceling a large order.

Lloyd

[ February 21, 2002: Message edited by: Lloyd ]

[ February 21, 2002: Message edited by: Lloyd ]

Back