UPDATE on G50 starter problem

G

FYI for anyone wanting to use a G50 porsche transaxle. All G50's are not the same. The '87 to '89 model has a gear reduction starter available. (Necessary to crank a V8) The '90 and later models do not. Mine is a '94.

I talked to Tilton 3 months ago and they said they were in the process of making one that would fit, apparently they've decided not to.

Luckily the guys at www.patrickmotorsports.com can convert (machine) the bellhousing to the '87'89 configuration for 1500.00 assembled or 650.00 if you tear it down and send them the case.

I'm going to try to do it myself. I took the taxle apart and the front case/bellhouse fits in my mill with 1/4" to spare (grin).

I called KEP www.kennedyeng.com and ordered the flywheel, clutch assembly and starter 1400.00 (ouch). I can't decide if I want the stock porsche press plate 460f/lb.torque clutch assembly (740.00) or the KEP custom alum. 600f/lb.torque press plate/clutch (1075.00). The alum p/plate is half the weight of the stock unit. What do you guys think?

Another thing to look at with the G50 is the rear mount. Some are flat in the back like in the patrick home page pic and some (like mine) have a mount sticking out the back. Too long to fit in the GT40 bodywork. I cut it off (about 4") and remachined for the shift shaft brg and seal, luckily the case is condusive to doing this without much trouble.

Man the gears in the G50 look like the old rock crusher muncie's, tough enough. And I was pleasantly surprised thinking the final ratio was 3.4 when it's actually 3.33... bit more top end yeah.

Kalun,

You should contact Peter Ransom Of GT40

Australia. His cars are built exclusively

for the G50. If anyone can help you, he can.

When I was searching for my gearbox, he told

me of a G50 model that you had to cut the

rear mount off. With his mount system, this

wouldn't be a problem, as it bolts directly

to the rear cover studs. If you can find a

starter, one of his rear mounts would get

you on the road. Call him at (61)(7)5529

1655. Keep in mind that he is 12 hrs ahead

of you on the West Coast. His email address

is available on his site, where you will be

able to see photos of the rear mount.
www.gt40australia.com.