Having trouble viewing pictures

I am having trouble viewing pictures. Some pictures will show full size automatically (I presume these photos are hosted on another web location) and are interspersed in the paragraph that discusses them.

When the pictures are thumbnails, one of three things will happen. (1) Sometimes (but not very often), the pictures load quickly. (2) Sometimes I get the "loading" icon but they never load. I have to cycle through "next" and wait a few seconds on each one. When I get back to the starting point, they all will load properly. (3) Sometimes (more often) when I select a photo the whole screen turns grey and the picture never loads. That portion of the screen remains grey until I leave that page.

Is it my internet settings or did the author load the photos improperly?

I further wish there was a way to load pictures directly after the paragraph that discusses that photo without having to post the pictures on another web location. My posts puts all of the photos at the bottom.

-Bob Woods

Hi,

What you can also do is scroll to a different part of the page and click an a different thumb nail or picture. Most of the time this will load and when you scroll back to the picture where the whole screen turned grey will no load normally. So you don't need to turn to the next page as long as there are other posts with pictures in it on the same page.

John

John,

That doesn't work for me. This seems to be a new problem, I don't remember it being that way a few weeks ago. Now I can't see any of the photos... always a grey screen.

-Bob Woods

I have all of Bob's issues mentioned in his first post. It has been that way for at least 5 to 6 months. However similar to what John has described, scrolling further along the thread to another thumb nail and hovering the icon over that generally works, then go back to the previous icon that was greyed out to have another go.
I have an Ipad as well, no dramas with that.
Cheers, Gus.

Last edited:
Slightly different problem but when I go to upload pictures, all it posts are small blue boxes with a white question mark in them??? Any ideas anyone, have looked online but seems that there is no definitive fix? Macbook air and uploading pictures from Flickr

Ron Earp

Admin
Bob, are you using Mac/Safari?

I get the problem on my iPad and iPhone, but I cannot duplicate it in Chrome on my PC.

Ron,

I am using Microsoft Internet Explorer 11. It never loads properly now. I have tried Mozilla Firefox on another PC and it worked most of the time, but not every time (although the internet connection was slow today). I do not have a problem with my ipad or iphone.

-Bob Woods

Here is another hint about the problem.

When I use Mozilla Firefox, the photos load correctly (although Mozilla has a lot of very irritating popups and security threats). It also seems slower in scrolling through the forums.

Perhaps what happened was that Microsoft decided to upgrade my Explorer from 7 to 11 a while back (without my knowledge or permission). Maybe there is a problem or setting in Explorer 11 that will not let the photos load.

Do we have someone that could chase this down?

-Bob Woods

Ron Earp

Admin
Good information and I'll pass it on to Harry. They were setting up a Win 7 with Explorer 11 system for testing because none of their other configurations exhibited the issue.

Ron

I thought it was my new laptop that I got last year so did not
say anything today photos are much better to view so thankyou
for doing what ever you did
chris

Ron,

Yea! It doesn't work the same way as previously, but it does work now!

Previously, when I hovered over the photo or if I clicked on the photo, it would load and then I could use the "next" and "previous" to scroll through the photos. If I clicked on the picture when it was displayed, it would open in its own window.

Now when I hover over the picture it doesn't load automatically. When I click on the photo, it opens in its own window and I have to use the back arrow to get back to the forum page.

I liked the other format better because I could scroll through the pictures, but at least I can view the pictures now. I'll get used to this.

Thank you for your efforts.

-Bob Woods

Ron Earp

Admin
No real doing of mine here. We have a development group that does the coding, Harry's the point man on that. We were using a "picture viewer" that was installed a long, long time ago. It hasn't been updated in seven years and to make it compatible with new browsers would take a partial rewrite, so I asked them to just remove it.

Explore some more and see if it is loading pictures in a new browser/tab (that part is definable by your browser settings). If all is good we'll leave it alone.

Ron

Keith

If it's any help here is some info on how the changes have affected me. Firstly, to me it wasn't broke to start with and worked fine. Now, on PC, a thumbnail opens as a full size pic and you have to go back on the browser to bring the thumbnails up again to select another one which is OK.

The worse change, for me, is on iPad. A photo opens ok in a big window but on going back in the browser to get another thumbnail, the view will shift to the last post of the thread. Fine if that's where the pics are, but not so fine if you are reprising a build thread for example, then you have to go back each time to find where you were at. To me that's now unusable.

It may be an iPad setting but if it is, I can't find it.

On my PC, I have to click on a photo and then use the back arrow to return to the forum. It does go back to the same location and then I can click on another photo. It no longer has the "previous" and "next" buttons to scroll through the photos (which was very nice).

On my iPad, it is the same thing, but it takes it three screen updates to get back to the original location in the forum; however, it does go back to the same spot I was on in the forum. It just takes some time to get there with the screen refreshes.

-Bob Woods

I was just about to post that the preview/picture browser was no longer working but it seems that's because it's turned off...

Personally I preferred the old version as it was far easier to browse a number of pictures.
Now I end up with either having to do a right click and open in new tab or keep going 'back' after viewing each picture.

I understand and agree with the reasoning behind removing LightBox but there are plenty of replacements.

I did not notice it before, but when I am typing a quick reply, if I go to view another picture or page, it erases whatever I was typing and I have to start all over. Is there any way to save the typing or put the quick reply in a different window?

-Bob Woods

Back