Private Message Dissapearance

Pat

Supporter
Hi Ron,
This morning an interesting thing happened. I was checking the site on my Kindle and saw I had a PM from some fellow named Mark asking if my '40 had been in a local show. I decided to respond on my PC where the keyboard better accommodates my fat fingers. When I signed back on, the message and any trace of it disappeared. I didn't take any action I thought would have deleted it unless shutting down a device with a message still on the screen would have deleted it. Any thoughts?

Ron Earp

Admin
Pat, I don't know. I've never heard of that happening but that doesn't mean it can't happen. The PM controls in the Admin panel are simple though and there isn't any "recovery" type buttons, nor can I see what members are sending messages. Probably not a lot I can do, but if you get some more information such as the other person that sent it then it might be helpful.

Pat

Supporter
Hi Ron, "Mark" is what the display name was. But that's a lot of members. I'll let you know if it looks like anything like it happens again. It's odd in that I've never had issues with the PM system before but using the Kindle/Wi-Fi is something new. So I thought that might have somehow affected it.

Ron Earp

Admin
Ah, good find Ian. It wasn't a Private Message, it was one of the Visitor Messages. Which would be absent if you were looking for it in the Private Message Inbox.

Pat

Supporter
Duh, thanks. I guess the flag I had that indicated a new message on the kindle didn't carry over when I went onto the PC. Thanks Ian. If my wife finds out about this she'll make me start using the rounded plastic scissors and Crayolas again.
Ron, maybe the title should be changed to "Messaging: you CAN have it both ways..."

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Duh, thanks. I guess the flag I had that indicated a new message on the kindle didn't carry over when I went onto the PC. Thanks Ian. If my wife finds out about this she'll make me start using the rounded plastic scissors and Crayolas again.
Ron, maybe the title should be changed to "Messaging: you CAN have it both ways..."

The only reason I had a look was I did a similar thing a few months back and "Lost" a message

Ian

Back