Notices

The SLC Clubhouse RCR SLC Build Logs and Technical Questions

Old 23rd April 2018, 09:23 AM   #141
Dreamcars
A Tenth
United States

GT40: SLC,63 Vette FI
Stephan's SLC Build Log

Here are some pictures showing me practicing and removing the timing covers for future service. All good, no issues
Attached Thumbnails
Stephan's SLC Build Log-engine_front_covers_1-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-engine_front_covers_2-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-engine_front_covers_3-jpg  
Dreamcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 09:32 AM   #142
Dreamcars
A Tenth
United States

Stephan's SLC Build Log

Moving forward to the flywheel installation. At this point I have to say a big "THANK YOU" to Fran and Kristin. I had an issues with the original flywheel and RCR exchanged it within a week without a problem. Fran even emailed me back on a Sunday after I noticed the issue.

Nothing exiting to report. Just as seen many times before. All done by the book.
Attached Thumbnails
Stephan's SLC Build Log-flywheel_1-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-flywheel_2-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-flywheel_3-jpg  

Last edited by Dreamcars; 23rd April 2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 23rd April 2018, 09:44 AM   #143
Dreamcars
A Tenth
United States

Stephan's SLC Build Log

The clutch was next in line. Again all by the book with no issues at all. This is a PEGA clutch with Ceramic and Kevlar facings. The Gallardos which race the Texas Mile are using this type of clutch. I think I will get a few miles out of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Stephan's SLC Build Log-clutch_1-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-clutch_2-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-clutch_3-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-clutch_4-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-clutch_5-jpg  

Stephan's SLC Build Log-clutch_6-jpg  
Old 23rd April 2018, 10:00 AM   #144
Dreamcars
A Tenth
United States

Stephan's SLC Build Log

Started to hang the transmission. Installed the guide sleeves for correct alignment. Those are $4.00 a pop from the friendly Audi dealer. They perfectly center the transaxle. The adapter plate has the relief pockets for them already machined. The transmission slid right into place using an engine hoist. Will continue on the suspension rods and drive shafts soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Stephan's SLC Build Log-guide-sleeves_1-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-guide-sleeves_2-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-guide-sleeves_3-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-transaxle_1-jpg  
Old 29th April 2018, 07:32 PM   #145
Dreamcars
A Tenth
United States

Stephan's SLC Build Log

I strapped the Graziano in, mounted the drive shafts and diffuser to check for clearances. Now since the transmission is in I have a better idea on how to support and to reinforce the diffuser.
Attached Thumbnails
Stephan's SLC Build Log-transaxle_1-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-transaxle_2-jpg  

Last edited by Dreamcars; 29th April 2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 29th April 2018, 07:48 PM   #146
Dreamcars
A Tenth
United States

Stephan's SLC Build Log

Joel was over today and helped me to set the body on to check if the rear shell will clear the engine. We set preliminary ride height to clear the wheels. We had to keep our fingers crossed when we lowered the rear. AND IT DOES FIT!

Now I have to figure out the exhaust and rear cross brace design...
Attached Thumbnails
Stephan's SLC Build Log-engine-clearance-rear-shell_1-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-engine-clearance-rear-shell_2-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-engine-clearance-rear-shell_4jpg-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-engine-clearance-rear-shell_3-jpg  
Old 29th April 2018, 09:00 PM   #147
Jkviper
Rookie
United States

GT40: SLC on order
Re: Stephan's SLC Build Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcars View Post
Joel was over today and helped me to set the body on to check if the rear shell will clear the engine. We set preliminary ride height to clear the wheels. We had to keep our fingers crossed when we lowered the rear. AND IT DOES FIT!

Now I have to figure out the exhaust and rear cross brace design...
Great seeing you again Stephan and glad it all fit together rather nicely. That is a heck of an engine and your car is coming along so well. Talk to you soon.
Jkviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2018, 11:46 AM   #148
Dreamcars
A Tenth
United States

Stephan's SLC Build Log

I was able to create a mockup of the new cross brace from PVC tubing. Test fitted and ready to become reality. 1.5" DOM tubing and 5/8 tube adapters for the rod ends are on order.
Attached Thumbnails
Stephan's SLC Build Log-cross-brace_1-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-cross-brace_2-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-cross-brace_3-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-cross-brace_4-jpg  
Old 8th May 2018, 07:36 PM   #149
Dreamcars
A Tenth
United States

Stephan's SLC Build Log

When I decided to go with this engine I was already concerned about the intake version being used. The Mercury engineers were smart enough to design the intake manifold symmetrical as know on the LS and I could have done the 180 degree trick. My problem is that I like the SLC body uncut as is and don't want to disturb the lines. I was already sweating bullets to get the rear shell on with the factory forward intake version. Since I am around the block a few times, I remembered from past tight turbo applications these Silicone intake adapters. I had exact 3.5 inches from throttle body collar to firewall which is also the OD of the throttle bodies. Under normal circumstances way too small to accommodate an elbow with a radius anywhere from 2 - 4 inches. These 3.5 inch adapters maintaining the open area without sacrifice by changing the shape along the way from round to oval and back to round. Eliminating turbulence and bottlenecks. I had no desire to cut and modify the firewall and alter the roll cage either. Still a few bridges to cross but this problem is solved, still leaving some room for imagination on where and how to run the tubing to the filters...
Attached Thumbnails
Stephan's SLC Build Log-intake-adapter_1-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-intake-adapter_2-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-intake-adapter_3-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-intake-adapter_4-jpg  

Last edited by Dreamcars; 8th May 2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 9th May 2018, 12:22 PM   #150
Jkviper
Rookie
United States

Stephan, Looks like a nice solution vs. modifying the bulkhead.
Old 9th May 2018, 01:16 PM   #151
Dreamcars
A Tenth
United States

Stephan's SLC Build Log

Thanks Joel,

I think these adapters could be an option to various SLC turbo and supercharger applications or even standard LS or any other engine with forward facing throttle bodies. They are good for positive and negative pressure. If someone is not into cutting body, firewall, structural components or simply prefers to have the air filter not in the back or does not like the rear scoop they could create an alternative. Available up to 7 inches openings in hard plastic, silicone and rubber depending on who manufactures them.

Last edited by Dreamcars; 9th May 2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11th May 2018, 06:50 PM   #152
Jkviper
Rookie
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcars View Post
Thanks Joel,

I think these adapters could be an option to various SLC turbo and supercharger applications or even standard LS or any other engine with forward facing throttle bodies. They are good for positive and negative pressure. If someone is not into cutting body, firewall, structural components or simply prefers to have the air filter not in the back or does not like the rear scoop they could create an alternative. Available up to 7 inches openings in hard plastic, silicone and rubber depending on who manufactures them.
Where did you get them Stephan?
Old 11th May 2018, 07:39 PM   #153
Dreamcars
A Tenth
United States

Stephan's SLC Build Log

Joel,

Please try

Intakehoses.com

for a larger variety of materials and sizes.

Stephan
Old 14th May 2018, 07:26 PM   #154
Dreamcars
A Tenth
United States

Stephan's SLC Build Log

It was a slow weekend on the SLC but I was able to remove another uncertainty about the installation of this motor. The exhaust system, I believed to become a major problem due to space issues and unknown parameters on angle and port locations. It turned out that simple LS7 headers actually seem to become the weapon of choice. I got them for cheap from someone who took them off a new crate engine. Not quite the same locations as on the an LS3 or LS7 but still not out of this world. With 4.5" to work with until I am going to hit the next roadblock...After pre-fitment of the side exhaust, everything will go to Ceramic coating to reduce head radiation.
In addition I installed the A/C compressor which I opted to use standard LS equipment. The Mercury hardware was too nice to ignore.
Attached Thumbnails
Stephan's SLC Build Log-exhaust_1-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-exhaust_2-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-exhaust_3-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-exhaust_4-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-exhaust_5-jpg  

Stephan's SLC Build Log-exhaust_6-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-exhaust_7-jpg   Stephan's SLC Build Log-exhaust_8-jpg  

Last edited by Dreamcars; 15th May 2018 at 07:40 AM.

Tags
carbon, clutch, cup, erik, gears, graziano, line, ratio, slc