Would this be sacrilegious?

I am considering a SPF GT40 purchase and have always wanted to have a big block. How true to history would this be? Does the ZF handle this kind of HP & Torque?

Original GT40 MkII's had a 427 and a T44 transaxle because the torque of the BB kept destroying the ZF's. If you treat it gently, you shouldn't have a problem

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Paul......Keep HP and torque to 550 max, no slicks and s/b OK.....Most SPF installs to date have been Roush stroked Windsors at about this level...Olthoff and others in the UK have pushed them around the track and they are holding up.....Steve

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Another good place to get ZF info is the Pantera Forums at: www.pantera.net. Most of the Pantera community seems to feel that the ZF is good for about 700HP as long as you're not doing drag races all day long. Road racing is hard on the ZF too, but there are several guys who actively race their Panteras and they have 500+HP (although 351C) engines. I know of several high-HP and 427-powered cars and have never heard of anyone blowing up a ZF for any reason other than a ring gear bolt failure (wasn't safety wired) or a driveshaft-induced disaster.

I have the first 427 fe in a spf gt40 and it has 560 hp and 550 ft lbs of torque Dennis at oltoff assures me that the zf should hold it. The t44 is almost double the cost and i am willing toi take the chance for $9,000.00
jerryd spo1288
gt402024.

Thanks guys. I need to do a search on the t44. Never heard of it before. Anyone have any good links to share?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
A T44 transaxle assembly will cost well over 30k...a little more than double the 9k you are currently paying....just an FYI

gt40fran said:
A T44 transaxle assembly will cost well over 30k...a little more than double the 9k you are currently paying....just an FYI

Fran, can you even get one ?
By the way, how are the SPF GT40s numbered. I saw above Raven1's car
as GT402024 so did they leave the "p" out and is that the 24th car ? I assume it is black...

gt40fran said:
Mike Tesci in Florida has the T44 boxes for sale......
Weren't the T44's designed and made by Kar Kraft, Ford's racing/specialty subsidiary? How many can there be "out there"? And how easy would it be to mate one up with the Roush 427?

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Alan...Can't comment as to an originals availibility but, there have been and are knock offs avail today....I beieve the Roush 427 you refer to is a W not FE? If so bellhousing would be an issue and even if you are marrying to an FE I believe a special bellhousing is needed that leads to need for special dry sump pan, special clutch and slave and it goes on.....Also spares and repairs become an issue.....I'm told and based on Lloyd of RBT, Pantera experiences and Olthoff thrashing his 500+ HP/Tq GT that the new M type ZF that is built today can take it BUT I would be leery of slicks....I'm doing an FE w/ new ZF and feel OK....Steve

Rune

Supporter
If You want a T44 You chould search on sportscar,se , Goran is almost ready to produse the transaxle . If You book for the first 20 and You will get a box that handle up to aprox 1000hp. it is worth a try.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Rune.....What will he require for a bellhousing???Mate up to an FE? Clutch?....Please let us know...Also what internals? Spares?? Steve

I can tell you my 427 fe 560hp 550 ft/tq last week flogged my zf including a few burnouts. so far so good.
jerry d gt40p2124

Back