Would this be sacrilegious?

Ron Earp

Admin
I haven't seen much of anything a FE motor can do that a SB stroker can't do, and be lighter and smaller to boot. Dart SB strokers go out to what, 450 some inches? Ought to be plenty. However, I think if I was doing a MKII from Superformance I'd put a FE in it, but that'd be about the only time I'd want it.

I do like the 385 series big blocks and they have quite a bit going for them, I'd prefer them over the FE.

Different strokes for different folks they say.

Ron

Rune

Supporter
Steve C I can not give You the information You want because I do'nt have them, his e-mail is [email protected] and then You have to ask him about this .
I have seen some of the parts and they sure look to handle alot.

steve c said:
BUT I would be leery of slicks....
So, because the extra traction wouldn't allow wheelspin and load the transaxle too much, right?

I saw a SPF GT roller being set up for racing on Saturday at my local dealer. It had a Roush aluminum-block 427 on a stand next to it to go in it --- and a ZF transaxle on the floor beside the engine.

We shall see . . . . . .

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Questions re Gorans T44

Does anyone have details re Goran's T44......Cost, what bellhousing used to mate to an FE, can an external slave be used and if so how, how will spares be handled, can cable linkage be used, will shifting be sequential, double clutching required, have any been built and tested yet and if not what is timetable and leadtime?????
Tx Steve

Steve,
Goran can supply the bellhousing too.

It is designed for rod shift, so no idea re cable use.
He told me it is being made to original specs and drawings, so is likely to be as they were. Not sure if they were sequential, but I know the original ZFs were.
As yet none have been fully produced, so it follows that none have been run or tested as yet either. I'm therefore initially going with a ZF for my side oiler, and will watch how the T44s progress / hold up.

Goran is trying to fill an initial order book for 20, and told me he expected to have these available some time next year.

You will have to contact Goran to get the other info.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
John.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
John..tx for reply...so you are doing an FE too..do you know anything bout Goran's clutch/slave ( is it like orig 44 operated from the bellhousing and if so will he be providing complet selection of clutch components or at least direcion)...can one run wet sump ( no bellhousing tie in to the sump as original or is he only doing the whole 9 yards w/ dry sump to bellhousing ect)...any idea on $ and for what??? Tx a lot....Steve

Guys,

I have been doing some research on transaxles and whether they can handle the torque produced by stroked 302s. Another option that someone mentioned earlier is to buy a new transaxle for the 2005 GT. Here's a link

Ford Racing Performance Parts [M-7003-GT*]

Personally I'd find it very hard to justify the expense but it's modern design and manufacturing will handle the 550HP supercharged 5.4l puts out...

Stu

Being a product of a major manufacturer, The GT's transaxle was very probably designed, developed and tested to death, and we know it will handle 550 bhp. But when Ford finishes production of its GT, production of its transaxle will very likely also cease. (Production of the T44's ended with the production of the commercial and racing GT40's. Ford's follow-on vehicle to the GT will have a front engine/rear drive layout.) So, there will then become a finite number of the transaxles and parts for which, which will dwindle away from Fords parts warehouse over time. At some point, the item and spare parts for it may very well become available only to registered GT owners. And at some point, in the distant future, they won't be available at all. I wouldn't swear that this all will be the case, but it would be typical for specialized, limited-production automotive parts, and is a fair to good possibility.

The ZF's have been around for decades and have a broad enough application that they will probably still be made for decades yet.

Last edited:

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Alan,

That would probably be true IF Ford were building them. I believe they have sourced the transaxle from Ricardo.

Lynn

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Don't know about a CAV but, I'm told the Ricardo won't fit in a SPF......From Lloyd@ RBT: 500/550 OK, and based on testing so far on SPF dealer demos as well as limited experience from Jerry w/ his FE powered SPF the NEW ZF's seem to be handling the HP and TQ. Dealer demos are all (?) Roush and all over 500 HP & TQ. As far as I have heard nothing has broken yet....Steve

That's what the dealer here has said: [SIZE=-2][/SIZE] "So far there's been no problem."

But the SPF GT's are so new and there's so few "out there" in "owner product-testing land."

llarsen said:
Alan,

That would probably be true IF Ford were building them. I believe they have sourced the transaxle from Ricardo.
Hmmm. O.K.

steve c said:
I'm told the Ricardo won't fit in a SPF......From Lloyd@ RBT.
If so, then we can forget about the Ford/Ricardo item. (More's the pity, because it would probably be an excellent item for the SPF GT.) But I note the answer/opinion is from a competitor. Has anybody contacted Ricardo about the issue?

Last edited:

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Alan...Pls re read my post above...I was the one that said that I had heard the Ricardo wouldn't fit (and I am a SPF 40 owner)....I quoted Lloyd when I said "From Lloyd @ RBT: 500 HP/550 TQ OK"....Just want to clear the record...Steve

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Pantera Performance says they have an RBT ZF behind 740 HP so it can handle the 500 to 550 HP Roush engines and the FE that w/b installed in my car....Only caution per Pantera Perf is "as long as 1'st and 4'th aren't abuse", but, as I have posted B4...I know Olthoff and the other SPF dealer demos aren't being babyed with their 500 HP Roush Windsors.....Steve

steve c said:
Alan...Pls re read my post above...I was the one that said that I had heard the Ricardo wouldn't fit (and I am a SPF 40 owner)....I quoted Lloyd when I said "From Lloyd @ RBT: 500 HP/550 TQ OK"....Just want to clear the record...Steve
I was just inquiring if anybody had contacted Ricardo about the applicability of their Ford GT product to the SPF GT --- aside from a prime competitior of Ricardo, RBT.

steve c said:
Pantera Performance says they have an RBT ZF behind 740 HP so it can handle the 500 to 550 HP Roush engines and the FE that w/b installed in my car....Only caution per Pantera Perf is "as long as 1'st and 4'th aren't abuse", but, as I have posted B4...I know Olthoff and the other SPF dealer demos aren't being babyed with their 500 HP Roush Windsors.....Steve
What kind of "abuse" are they referring too?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
As has been posted here before, the Riccardo box is several inches longer then the ZF and will not fit without chassis/rear clip modifications. I understand the even the RBT six-speed will not go in without mods.

The T44 is based upon the Ford T&C "toploader" and is a syncro box. Look at the pictures on Goran's site and you can see the syncro rings on the gear clusters. A T44 would probably be overkill for many engines but it is period correct for an "FE" so go ahead!
Rick

Back