GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > GT40 Replica Manufacturers' Corner > Superformance GT40s

Superformance GT40s Sponsored by Superformance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th June 2008, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
P2164
Gold Supporter
United States

GT40: SPF 2164 07-07
Insulation and noise reduction.

I wish I would have taken the temperature and DB before I did all this but still think it has helped a lot. These cars where never meant to be an NSX or Lexus but when your over 50 every little bit of comfort helps. In these pictures you will see a diamond looking aluminum (the insulation) which came from Summit Racing its very sharp and will cut like a razor so just heed my warning. The tin foil looking stuff is Dynamat and I really like it, it goes on pretty easy and does a great job, I even put it inside the doors and now when you shut the doors it even sounds some what like a normal door. I put the insulation on the front of the tub and plugged all the holes (all this was told to me by Mike T. long before) where the hoses and other items went through, this helped a GREAT deal and on the back of the cab and plugged all those holes, if you do anything at all this will make you happy. The Dynamat is sort of like a sticky tar and when you put it on I am not sure if you will get it off so be sure you can live with it, I have put it on the tub of the left front tire and plan on the right soon as time will allow.

Mike showed up this afternoon and we went for a spin, 90 outside and we were comfortable and didn't have to use to many hand signs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9194.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	30264   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9197.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	30265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9198.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	30266   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9199.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	30267  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 4th June 2008, 09:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
chuck 1
8 Tenths
United States

GT40: CAV
Re: Insulation and noise reduction.

I usede this stuff over Dynamat on the CAV, all under the carpet si it does not show, the difference was amazing. eBay Store - Deadener: Nuprene, Neoprene, Sound

On the SPF I filled the holes under the seats with the neoprene and have added it and Dynamat in the doors and on the bulkhead . Putting it under the carpet is a chore but it looks good and you cannot see it.
Kirkham 427 cobra- 427so
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 5th June 2008, 07:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
P2164
Gold Supporter
United States

Chuck I looked at that, it was sort of a toss up between that and dynamat. Did you have to glue it or was it sticky backed?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 5th June 2008, 08:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
wbmusarra
I Have No Life
United States

GT40: DRB#5

Dynamat has a sister product that works very well. Called Dynapad. It is about 1/2" thick with two foam layeers sandwiching a hard thick layer and is applied with a fabric adhesive. When used on top of the Dynamat, it kills noise and heat transfer even better. I have used it on my car and I am sure it will keep everything quiet. Particularly in the backing of the front wheel wells and the wall mounting the pedals. Road noise is very distracting. The trick is to make sure you cover all the holes. It will give the doors that solid sound when closing. Put it all over the inside of the door openings. Very important for those of you who want a decent sounding stereo. I know... I know.... The purr of the engine should be enough. But if you want to talk to the passenger, you got to quieten it down a notch. So cover everything on the inside with it. Even the surfaces you don't think will contribute much noise like the sill plates. The disadvantage is that these products are not light and add some weight to the car.
The ideal place for this stuff is in the engine bay. That is not an option for me, as I have a lot of stainless there and this stuff is not great to look at with all the advertising stamps on it. Put these products on the cabin side of "everything". It all will be hidden with the upholstery, not to mention it will give the guy a great surface to apply the fabric or leather. It is easy to cut and apply. All the pieces of the dynamat can be used to fill in. Be a little more careful with the Dynapad. Your upholsterer wants everything flat, smooth and to the edge. I only have one pic of the dynamat and have included it. Will get some more when I visit the car later today.
It comes in rolls and Ebay,Amazon etc. are good places to find it. Just have to look up the price and compare. Some places want double the price of others. It is the 21100 stuff. The good thing is that what you buy will be more than you need most times. You can turn around and sell what is left over.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010211.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	30273   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010207.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	30274  
DRB#5
351W/408 TWM FI. AFR 205s 930 Porsche LSD
Old 5th June 2008, 08:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
A Tenth
United States

GT40: bristol uk

I put dynamat in my CAV under the sill and floor carpets and in the firewall. The difference in the cockpit noise level was so significant that I took it all out a few months later. Part of the attraction of the GT40 is that glorious V8 soundtrack!.
Old 5th June 2008, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
chuck 1
8 Tenths
United States

Jack , I put Dynamat on first and then the neoprene over that, much like what Bill did. It can be had with or without adhesive already on it. I used the type without and just used spray adhesive. It is very well priced and works well.
Kirkham 427 cobra- 427so
Old 6th June 2008, 12:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
RWoerz
5 Tenths
United States

GT40: GT40 MKI P2197

Chuck did you use the 1/8" or 1/4". Without a lift this would be very hard to install after the engine is in, in the firewall area. Great idea!
1997 Eagle Talon Tsi
Old 7th June 2008, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
chuck 1
8 Tenths
United States

Richard, I used the 3/8 mostly. It is easy of course to put it on the removable bulkhead. I actually lifted up the carpet on the CAV and put it under the carpet, not on the engine side.
Kirkham 427 cobra- 427so
Old 7th June 2008, 07:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dlampe
10 tenths
United States

Will you guys be adding cup holders and vanity mirrors in your sun visors too?

Just kidding around.
Old 7th June 2008, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
chuck 1
8 Tenths
United States

not enough room since I put in the DVD player
Kirkham 427 cobra- 427so
Old 8th June 2008, 01:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Alan in Nevada
A Tenth
United States

GT40: A Superformance GT is on my "get list."
Wink Re: Insulation and noise reduction.

Heat insulation, noise reduction, cup holders, vanity mirrors, sun visors and DVD players on a race car. Oh man, you guys . . . . . .

What would Dan and Mario think?

Last edited by Alan in Nevada; 8th June 2008 at 01:53 AM.
Old 8th June 2008, 07:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
wbmusarra
I Have No Life
United States

GT40: DRB#5

Us multi-taskers have to have something to do between corners don't we????

Bill
DRB#5
351W/408 TWM FI. AFR 205s 930 Porsche LSD
Old 20th June 2008, 11:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
kgschrader
They're all silver
United States

GT40: SPF MkII 2155

Further to Jack's noise reduction quest, what he didn't tell you in his initial message was that he makes a replacement rear window out of thicker material which actually fits directly into the opening.

My thin, original window had a big scratch in it (I still have no idea how it got there....), so I took the plunge and had him make me one of his replacements.

Wow! I started the car after installing the window and the reduction in engine noise level in the cabin is impressive. Plus, the material he uses (what is it, Jack?) is much clearer and wipes off easily when dirty without scratching.

He's asking $250 plus shipping for them and I have to say I'd thoroughly recommend it.

FWIW,
Kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2164 View Post
I wish I would have taken the temperature and DB before I did all this but still think it has helped a lot. These cars where never meant to be an NSX or Lexus but when your over 50 every little bit of comfort helps. In these pictures you will see a diamond looking aluminum (the insulation) which came from Summit Racing its very sharp and will cut like a razor so just heed my warning. The tin foil looking stuff is Dynamat and I really like it, it goes on pretty easy and does a great job, I even put it inside the doors and now when you shut the doors it even sounds some what like a normal door. I put the insulation on the front of the tub and plugged all the holes (all this was told to me by Mike T. long before) where the hoses and other items went through, this helped a GREAT deal and on the back of the cab and plugged all those holes, if you do anything at all this will make you happy. The Dynamat is sort of like a sticky tar and when you put it on I am not sure if you will get it off so be sure you can live with it, I have put it on the tub of the left front tire and plan on the right soon as time will allow.

Mike showed up this afternoon and we went for a spin, 90 outside and we were comfortable and didn't have to use to many hand signs.
71 Pantera #1661-silver/black
71 Pantera #1921-red/black
01 Lightning-silver
GT40 Mk II #2155-titanium/black
13 GT500-silver/black

Old 21st June 2008, 09:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
P2164
Gold Supporter
United States

Glad it helped! Its 3/4 inch thick acrylic. Dean I seen you drive at Hallett, don't think cup holders would do you any good.