Superformance Wide Body?

Any pictures of the MK1 wide body out there from Superformance? I have heard they make one but have yet to see one.

Thanks

My wide body is being completed right now....will post pictures when done.

Brian
GT40P2266

Dennis Oltoff finished the car, including sourcing wheels and tires. I have one set of 15"x10"f and 15"x14"r BRM wheels with Avon race tires as well as a set of 17"x10"f and 17"x14"r BRM wheels wearing Michelin street tires.

I'm not sure who supplied the wheels, but I'm pretty sure its one of the US manufacturers mentioned on this site. I know Dennis can tell you if you give him a call.

The 15" set of wheels/Avon tires is off getting powdercoated so I can't give you tire sizes right now. BTW, believe those stories about race tires picking up every piece of gravel they come across. I have to vacuum rocks off of the chassis almost every time I run the Avons.

Jack

I am considering a SPF MKI wide body. Most feedback I get from people is negative. Too impractical, no DOT tires available, trailering issues, resale. Any wide body owners out there? I would like to know if you are happy with your wide bodies. I think they look great.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I am considering a SPF MKI wide body. Most feedback I get from people is negative. Too impractical, no DOT tires available, trailering issues, resale. Any wide body owners out there? I would like to know if you are happy with your wide bodies. I think they look great.

The issues you point out are real. If looks are the only criteria, the 69 tail is your choice. If you are really going to drive the car, and on the street, the 68 tail may be a better choice. The DOT tire thing is an issue. If you are running Goodyear Billboards or other non DOT tire and have an "Oops" and your insurance company catches it, it may be totally on your nickel.

Unless you have a 102" width trailer it will be tight getting the car into the trailer.

Again, if you can live with the issues, go for it. Also, Superformance does not supply a rear wheel wider than 10.5" so they must be sourced elsewhere or modified (widened) to fill the wheel wells.

We have had customers rethink the choice and go with the mid width tail. Call me for more information.

is that the difference between this>
1968-ford-gt40-mk-ii-chassis-1074-award-23.jpg

and this?

1968-ford-gt40-mk-ii-chassis-1076-main-2.jpg

both are here for more pictures

Amelia Island Concours

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
is that the difference between this>
1968-ford-gt40-mk-ii-chassis-1074-award-23.jpg

and this?

1968-ford-gt40-mk-ii-chassis-1076-main-2.jpg

both are here for more pictures

Amelia Island Concours

No,

The first picture (#40) appears to be a replica of some sort or a modified original and the second photo(#7) is the 1969 "Gulf" type tail which featured the flares in carbon fiber, the first use of CF in a racing car as we are told.

These pictures are the standard SPF "1968 "mid" width tail...

Attachments

• frangt7.jpg
    frangt7.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,958
  • P7130015.JPG
    P7130015.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 1,287
so there are about 4 different style flares/body in the mk1?
so if they say wide we have to ask how wide :D
and if they say standard we have to ask what standard.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
so there are about 4 different style flares/body in the mk1?
so if they say wide we have to ask how wide :D
and if they say standard we have to ask what standard.

Four? More like 14!

The rears were changed numerous times, sometimes from race to race to fit the ruber being used. In general my understanding of the Mk Is are four common tails, the early unit (103 for example), the FAV production unit (street and competition, P1054 for example)) and the 68 and then 69 Gulf styles (P1075 in both years).

Pick the one you like!

:D so then...more then I thought, thx for the info, so when you order a car you better send a picture of a car with the look you wish.
indeed they also did a lot changes on the same car, just came acros this website with most GT40 in all years and sorts, also P1075 changed...
anyhow here lots pictures and year and names/races etc, nice to see all the different things also mirrors and wheel arches etc>

FORD

saw some strange flares :D
how about this (not my style but to point some out)
Chassis%20AMR2%20No62%20MP%2068.jpg

my style I guess would be more like those as P/1083 for example, thats wide enough

Chassis%201083%20PB%20Monterey%202009.jpg

thats more like the early 1968 P/1075 me thinks? like this>

1968seb%20No28%20Ickx-Redman%20Ford%20GT40.jpg

the later P/1075 was wider seeing some pictures on that website.

Rick,

How wide is the 69, 4 inch flared SPF?

Is the 102 wide trailer measured from total width or from the interior from trailer well arches?

Trailer could be 102 wide but from wheel arches could be 94 inches.

The 4 inch flared SPF fits inside a 102 inch wide trailer?

The Red #62 car is AM2.... beautiful in it's own right, very odd rear though in comparison to other GT40's.

My CAV is a wide hip and certainly wider that I recall the SPF hips to be. It has 10" rear wheels with an offset that allows the wells to be filled nicely. I just installed a set of Goodyear 26.5-10.5-15's on the rear and think they look great. It is a great option allowing the use of more obtainable and streetable tires. The 10" wheel/custom offset with Avons would be a great combo for the SPF wide hip cars. I can attest to the ride quality of the Avons. Had them on my Cobra and the were far superior to any other tire you could buy for these cars.

Hi Dave,

Would love to see photos of your wide hipped CAV with the spacers. Do you think it is wider than the SPF option with the 4 inch flares?

Did you put a lot of miles on the Avons? I have been reading they pick up every rock and damage the wheel wells. Have you experienced this?

My Avons are very sticky and do pick up every rock on the road. That said, a little foam glued to the underside of the wheel wells stop the rocks from causing damage.

Kevin

Back