Superformance Wide Body?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Mike, I was never too much of a fan of green body paint, but this shade captured my imagination. It looks great on your MKI. The white exhaust treatment is the first I've ever viewed and it does coordinate nicely with the roundels and side stripes. I remain confused on the taillight issue. I thought only the MKII featured the double lights. The wide and extra wide SPF rides I've seen have larger single lights. How would you judge the functionality of the two traditional side mirrors? I have ordered a MKI, but it will not be ready 'til summer, and I am contemplating the more modern larger body colored side mirrors that are affixed along the door. I entertain that idea primarily for enhanced safety, not for style or design. I realize that mod breaks with tradition, so I'm in limbo for now, but have plenty of time to consider. Please share your thoughts. Thanks for sharing . . . Robert

The early MK Is had the stacked lamps similar to the MK IIs. All of the "medium" and "wide" tails have the single, combination lamp setup.

That car is not Mike Drew's (although I am sure he would love to have it) but resides in the Chicago area.

You will find if you really intend to use and drive your car that a larger mirror setup will make traffic much less sweat inducing. While not "original" they are more functional. There are a couple of threads here regarding outside mirrors.

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
The early MK Is had the stacked lamps similar to the MK IIs. All of the "medium" and "wide" tails have the single, combination lamp setup.

That car is not Mike Drew's (although I am sure he would love to have it) but resides in the Chicago area.

You will find if you really intend to use and drive your car that a larger mirror setup will make traffic much less sweat inducing. While not "original" they are more functional. There are a couple of threads here regarding outside mirrors.

Thanks Rick, After I sent that post re mirrors I continued to peruse this wonderful forum and discovered a mirror rich thread here: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/superformance-gt40s/26999-side-mirrors.html

It was reassuring for me to hear that you too have a sense that better side mirrors make for better safety. I also hope to discover if many have installed the wireless rear camera with small LCD screen for back-up safety. I'm just full of questions since I'm both a newbie and wannabe at this stage, so hope folk can give me a pass for the short run. Thanks for all you do! Robert

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Thanks Rick, After I sent that post re mirrors I continued to peruse this wonderful forum and discovered a mirror rich thread here: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/superformance-gt40s/26999-side-mirrors.html

It was reassuring for me to hear that you too have a sense that better side mirrors make for better safety. I also hope to discover if many have installed the wireless rear camera with small LCD screen for back-up safety. I'm just full of questions since I'm both a newbie and wannabe at this stage, so hope folk can give me a pass for the short run. Thanks for all you do! Robert

Several have done the rear view camera setup. Search around and I think you will find a t least three threads with different solutions to that idea.

I have the Talbot mirrors mounted on the front fenders and I find they offer good visibility. No complaints regarding blind spot.

Keeping the stacks low in the back also helps rear visibility

Kevin

Just a detail point--although the stacked lights of the early Mk Is are philosophically similar to the ones on the Mark II, the lights themselves are completely different. I know the early lights are generic Lucas units; weren't the late lights actually American-made, lifted from some production car?

And yes, I would love to have that Linden Green SPF, but alas, I'm still in the wanna-be phase (although I do have a ZF gearbox--that's a start!)

It's owned by Jesus Pozo, who is a Spaniard who lives in Indianapolis for part of the year. He's active here on this forum under the username "JP" a.k.a. Victors. He has gone to great lengths to make his car as authentic as possible.

Here is one of his first posts where he introduced himself and his car to the world:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/superformance-gt40s/26201-gt-40-p-2231-finally-home.html

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Just a detail point--although the stacked lights of the early Mk Is are philosophically similar to the ones on the Mark II, the lights themselves are completely different. I know the early lights are generic Lucas units; weren't the late lights actually American-made, lifted from some production car?

And yes, I would love to have that Linden Green SPF, but alas, I'm still in the wanna-be phase (although I do have a ZF gearbox--that's a start!)

It's owned by Jesus Pozo, who is a Spaniard who lives in Indianapolis for part of the year. He's active here on this forum under the username "JP" a.k.a. Victors. He has gone to great lengths to make his car as authentic as possible.

Here is one of his first posts where he introduced himself and his car to the world:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/superformance-gt40s/26201-gt-40-p-2231-finally-home.html

Interesting, compelling info and picts. Thank you for sharing. Robert

Wide body MKI with MKII...
15x14" wheels on rear.

Attachments

• IMG_9314.jpg
    IMG_9314.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 706
An older thread I know, but some I need some info that's loosely related...

Can anyone confirm the width difference (if any) across the FRONT clips from SPF Mk1 and Mk2 variations?

Anyone feel like running a tape measure across one or the other? Thanks!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
SPF MK I clips are the same for all of the body configurations. The MK II front clip is a MK II "B" type with less tuck-under in front of the tires. I don't have both on hand now, but I suspect there is less than an inch of overall width difference in the front clips.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
An older thread I know, but some I need some info that's loosely related...

Can anyone confirm the width difference (if any) across the FRONT clips from SPF Mk1 and Mk2 variations?

Anyone feel like running a tape measure across one or the other? Thanks!

I can measure my Mk II for you, but for the comparison to work I need to know exactly what measurement you want.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I can do the same with my mark one, but need to know exactly where to measure.

Ron

Good we got the team all we need is a captain.

I'm thinking if he wants to know the max width at the front wheel centers (for example) we just drop a line with a plumb bob to the ground, mark it, roll the car out of the way, and measure. Or do the same with a carpenter's square. ??

Thanks guys, you nailed it!

Yep, basically chasing the widest point of the wheel arches / fenders, side to side. Much in the same way the rears were measured earlier in this same thread.

Back