test drive video

Malcolm

Supporter
Took my car for a quick test drive round my local roads to see how the video camera worked. Pleased with stability but should have cleaned the windscreen as it is a bit greasy so smearing the picture a bit. Also need to stop the passengers seat belt rattling on the DRV recorder! So FWIW....

YouTube - test drive

If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve the set up please let me know.

Ron Earp

Admin
If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve the set up please let me know.

I do. Quit driving on the wrong side of the road!!!! :lipsrsealed:

It looks good, nice sound quality there, much better than most I've viewed. I think you've got yourself a winner. Is this system going in the Miata?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Rock solid - Nice ride through the countryside!!! I wish I were out of town a ways too - for a number of reasons, not the least of which would be fun test drives!!!

What happened to the colour on the Pro3000?
Looking good Malcolm! By the way, is that a RWD or 4WD 996?

John

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Malcolm

Only one suggestion is you see if you can get a polarising lens / filter for the camery - is should cut ut a load of the reflections of the car's interior

Ian

Malcolm

Supporter
Sorry John, its 4wd.

I will see what I can do about the filter as the reflection is a pain, but doubt one is available. Of course if I reverse all my instrument dials it becomes a HUD!

A tip for others who also get fed up with batteries running out and where weight is not an issue, today I fitted my power inverter to supply a 240 volt supply behind the dash board where I just plugged in the mains adapter for the DVR. I was finding the DVR very voltage sensitive and it switched off if fans, lights etc came on! Not a very good power regulator there but the power inverter should be much more steady.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Nice one Malcolm, I did much the same thing today, but am just using my DV camera to record. I didn't have any significant reflection from the windscreen, I think because i mounted the camera on the dashboard, so it is only 30mm from the windsreen. Looking at your video, I think yours is mounted further away?
On problem I did have though was on playback,there seemed to be a little interference in the form of a few white lines across the screen. Maybe I should try a ferrite filter on the power line.

Dave

Nice and clear Malc - esp if you click the 'watch in high quality' button.

However, be very careful about posting such material - or at least edit it a little more...

You have PM..

Malcolm,

Really impressed with how smooth and refined your car is - especially for one that I believe reguarly takes to the track. Unless the roads around your house are much smoother than here in Norfolk your suspension seems really well set up. And that engine is very smooth!

Malcolm

Supporter
One of the reasons for the test was to check out the ride quality having softened up my dampers. Also if you use a wider angle lens on the camera (mine is a 3.6mm lens in a bullet camera) you get less vibration. The ARBs are a bit noisy still as I have rose/heim joints on them plus I use metal to metal bearing surfaces and to ensure they do not bind up there is some play in there so it rattles a bit over bumps! I wonder if I take the bars out and wrap some tape round them how long that would last? Le Mans and back?

Back