Go Back   GT40s.com > >

Notices

Wings, Wheels, and Keels Assorted discussions and build projects

Old 13th July 2018, 11:34 PM   #241
jac mac
I Have No Life
New Zealand

Re: McCopy mk 5

Have got a couple of those uprights here, will check ackerman on those and get back to you. If it has akerman your rack will likely need extended by that amount at each end. On those pics height does not look bad.
Old 14th July 2018, 12:07 AM   #242
russell keach
4 Tenths
New Zealand

GT40: Mclaren M8b rep

Jac
Toyota Lite Ace from memory
russell keach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 02:28 AM   #243
jac mac
I Have No Life
New Zealand

Sorry, mine are Supra. Quick check to see if I am on right track, turn steering wheel to left so rack moves ~20mm toward wheel, then without moving rack adjust that LH tie rod end inward until LH wheel is in straight ahead position. Then lift wheel/hub up and allow to drop thru full travel and observe toe change.
Old 14th July 2018, 05:46 PM   #244
russell keach
4 Tenths
New Zealand

Thanks Jac, I will try that next week.
Drove past your place a couple of weeks ago...felt sure I could recognize your entrance but failed. Next time. Had a look at the GT40 and Jaguars at Classic Car Developments and was blown away by the skill levels. Dave was very accommodating and spent time with me, a nice bloke.
Also went thru Hayes and saw the Begg, so many similarities to my original car. Had the only frost in 3 weeks, no snow and no dramas in 4500k`s. Our Fiat Ducato has an automated manual gearbox, unusual but really great for driving on slushy greasy roads, we went over the Lindas Pass the day after it was closed and really appreciated being able to roll down the hills still in `gear`. We hope to be able to do the same trip in Jan /Feb all going well.
Cheers
Old 14th July 2018, 06:13 PM   #245
jac mac
I Have No Life
New Zealand

Road frontage has been tidied up a bit since your last visit Russell, still exit SH1 @ same point but gate is ~70m west toward Gore, and gradient a bit more vehicle friendly! With a wet winter you would have had to wash van anyway! When it freezes the ABS in the Subaru gets a real workout on way down, actually had to use handbrake & spin it once as I was running out of options.

Funny story'now'. When I built shed I hired compressor & rock drills from local building co, They loaned me MF 135 to tow it up to site as it was mounted on 4 wheel trailer with turntable front axle. at weeks end when returning it all turned to custard as soon as I pointed the rig down hill and weight of compressor & trailer took over, you know things are turning bad when one wheel is rotating backward on a tractor, Option I took was to shift into high gear and open up throttle, that got me thru the hairpin in trees and it was all straight downhill with run off thru fence at bottom, as last resort I dropped the front end loader bucket and lifted the front wheels off ground, stopped about 2 feet from fence! Drove very sedately back into builders yard in town.... foreman walks over and first thing he said was how did I get on coming down driveway..... I said Id prefer not to answer that Question!... then he pointed out the huge concrete block they usually fit to the 3 point linkage when towing the unit..... Great I said, Ill remember that if I ever need it again!!!!
Old Today, 03:21 AM   #246
russell keach
4 Tenths
New Zealand

Jac, that explains things.
I ventured into the shed armed with my new `knowledge` and a fresh mind, Lengthened the rack approx 20mm and run the front thru its range.....hey presto, close as first time.
After a couple more positions we were well within tolerance without any surgery. I shall make up a new end fitting 25mm longer and that will allow some further adjustments.
I had feared that I was going to have to chop my mounts out as all previous positions pointed to more lowering of the rack. We are off to Aussie soon for a couple of weeks and then back for an oncology meeting that will be quite defining.
Your tractor incedent reminds me of my first day at Hirepool some 45 yrs ago, got told to deliver a forklift up the road....got it into the middle of the road waiting for the traffic to clear before crossing the road....then floored it only to turn it the wrong way (rear steer). Very exciting.
Now that the rack is more or less all go, I can now complete the front bulkhead, brake reservoirs and throttle mounts.
Thanks again
Russell
Old Today, 06:48 AM   #247
jac mac
I Have No Life
New Zealand

Good to hear the extenders will help, If you ended up having to move the ~25mm to get it right on that one side then you will need that 25mm amount of extension at each end of the rack to allow for both sides and have the rack in a central position of travel. ( Unless you have more rack total travel than reqd in which case you might be able to add the total ~50mm of extension at one end only and shift steering shaft on splines for straight ahead position.
Old Today, 12:40 PM   #248
manta22
Rookie
United States

GT40: None

Russell;

Your forklift story reminds me of the first public showing of the STP turbine Indy car. Andy Granatelli was quite a promoter so he had a big gathering of the motoring press outside a hanger where the car was housed. On cue, the doors were rolled back, the driver started its engine and drove it right into the hanger door frame. They had installed the steering rack upside down.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ
manta22 is offline   Reply With Quote