016 speedo sensor

Hey Guys
I am hoping someone can link me to an electronic speed sensor that adapts to the original mechanical drive on the transaxle.

I have a speed hut speedo and the log style inductive sensor but I hate the look of it and don't really have somewhere to mount it except for the CV flange ,I can't mount it up front as my disc brake rotor is a cast one piece item with no bolts in it.
HTZ_sendingUnit.jpg

Would rather something like this
GM_speedo_sensor.jpg

Any ideas greatly appreciated. If you have a part number or link would be awesome.

Dave, on an 016 there is provision for a speedo drive. Left hand side, near the output flange. What you can't see in the pic is the plastic helical gear drive buried in the hole, but I assure you it's there.

I would look for the audi part which screws onto this and try to adapt to your upstream wiring and gauge. What you have in your second pic looks like the business end of what you'll need.

Personally, I just have the inductive sensor on the CV bolts and while it's not pretty it does work quite well.

Attachments

• speedo drive.JPG
    speedo drive.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 307
The thread is 18mm by something. I checked as many as I could find and there was only 22 and 7/8th's...... Was hoping someone had found a sensor that screws on.

The thread is 18mm by something. I checked as many as I could find and there was only 22 and 7/8th's...... Was hoping someone had found a sensor that screws on.

Cliff any chance of a pic of how your sensor is mounted? Might give me inspiration to fit mine.

Worse case you could drill and tap (in a lathe) a 22 x 1.5mm bolt with an 18mm internal thread to make an adapter, loctite it to the Audi drive and use the 22mm thread section for coupling ??

Clayton

Yeah I thought about that and it turns out that some universal cruise control kits have these reducer bushings. But buying them is the hard part also I dont know what size square drive the cable the audi has.

Mmmmm the search goes on. Hopefully Cliff comes through with a pic of his sensor set up.

ABS ring and use the top sensor Dave.
It can be off the front wheels as well.
You may even get it to work of the CV bolts.
Dave Bills pic is showing the speedo sensor next to one if the drive flanges you may need to put your glasses on.

Jim

I was building a car some time ago for a customer that had an 016 in it and I contacted Auto meter and they gave me the name of a speedometer shop that had an electronic speedometer drive that mounted to the frame near the transmission and then a short cable when from the transmission sender to this electronic drive unit. I don't remember the name of the company but a call to Autometer should get you the information.

Yeah I thought about that and it turns out that some universal cruise control kits have these reducer bushings. But buying them is the hard part also I dont know what size square drive the cable the audi has.

Mmmmm the search goes on. Hopefully Cliff comes through with a pic of his sensor set up.

Hi Dave, I'll try to snap a pic this evening. It's pretty basic.....just a right angle bracket attached to the bolt of the RH side rear transaxle mount with the sensor placed horizontally and pointing at the socket bolt heads of the inner CV with about 1/8th inch of clearance. Looks like something somebody whipped up between swigs of coffee using some old scrap metal.....

Back