1042 for Sale in San Diego

I just got back from my annual trip with my wife to visit her family in San Diego. While there, I made my pilgrimage to Symbolic Motor Car Company and Grand Prix Classics in La Jolla.

At Grand Prix Classics, I found that they had 1042 available for sale. It appears that they just got the car, because they don't have any info about it on their website. The car has been repainted red and is wearing its Scuderia Filipanetti markings. The person at the front of the store said she thinks they're asking $2.2 million for it.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• 1042-1t.jpg
    1042-1t.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 757
  • 1042-2t.jpg
    1042-2t.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 657
  • 1042-3t.jpg
    1042-3t.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 627
  • 1042-4t.jpg
    1042-4t.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 649
  • cars-t.jpg
    cars-t.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 632

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very nice.... Curious about the screws in the side windows - looks like many of them are covered with black tape?
Also - I like the ventilation slots in the rear window. How many were done like that? A recent modification?

Very nice.... Curious about the screws in the side windows - looks like many of them are covered with black tape?

The little squares confused me until I zoomed in on the original photo and saw that the squares had text on them. It turns out that the shiny window caught reflections of the posters) hanging on the wall opposite the car (you can see them in the last picture above).

Symbolic always has such beatiful cars.

Can't say I've had good experience with the place however - my brother and I bought a nearly new Lotus Esprit from them a few years back in which they said they had just installed a new clutch. The clutch went out 200 miles after purchase and upon disassembly it became clear that only one side of the clutch fork was engaged in the release bearing (the other "prong" not engaged) causing all kinds of problems. Symbolic refused to do anything about it, along with a few other problems that appeared immediately after purchase. Car was described by them as "perfect" and "fully serviced." Simply put, they were real pricks.

I got the distinct impression that if you were only spending $50,000 on a "lowly" Esprit then you weren't one of the big boys (who presumably spend seven figures) and therefore don't deserve much service or consideration.

Symbolic sucks.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The little squares confused me until I zoomed in on the original photo and saw that the squares had text on them. It turns out that the shiny window caught reflections of the posters) hanging on the wall opposite the car (you can see them in the last picture above).

Right you are!!!!

Symbolic always has such beatiful cars.
[...]
Symbolic sucks.

I just go there as a tourist, so my interaction with them is admiring the pretty cars. But that sort of treatment of the customers doesn't sound like a good way to earn a customer's trust.

I did a search here on the fourm.
"GT40 serial numbers"
And found 1042 listed.
Seems it may have some up dates ?
Carbon body, new high tech instrumentation .....
I guess this was found on the internet,
and then posted here.
The list contains all the serial numbers.
Long list with some info on most,
but no info on witch site it was found on ?

Back