1965 Mark 1 Roadster #106 is alive.

Nice try but those are 1971 photos of George Sawyer in 108 which he later sold to Harley Cluxton and is now in Seattle in the good hands of John McCaw. I have those same pics along with another 30 from the same day supplied to me by a close friend of Mr Sawyer.

The lineage you listed is not correct. The car was not owned by any of these people you listed between October 1971 and 1976. It was owned by my brother living in Springfield, IL.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
Re: Correction: 1965 Mark 1 Roadster #108 is alive.

:embarassed: . It had no speedometer. It would cruise in 3rd gear at 70mph on the interstate. 5th gear wasn't much good below 150mph.

Not to embarrass you more, or myself, but it's my understanding they were 4 speeds...not 5.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
The lineage you listed is not correct. The car was not owned by any of these people you listed between October 1971 and 1976. It was owned by my brother living in Springfield, IL.

Without some more "authentication", I would say you are opposing someone very knowledgable in GT40s. He is a supplier of parts/pieces and would have reason to know the lineage as well as current owner. I'd say the weight would be in his favor.
Did he ever have the car out?? I have lived in Illinois since 1966, not far from Springfield and service several Shelby's and know many GT40 enthusiasts...this is the first I have ever heard of a spyder GT40 in the area. I would have thought he hit several car shows and look forward to seeing the pics with Illinois plates.
Not sure about it be a street legal car either...they were all race cars or in this case a prototype...both are far from "street legal".

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Odd...

I've lived in Minnesota for most of my 57 years.. While not an authority on all businesses that have done business here in this state, I think I'm relatively well connected and have known and heard of many...

I don't recall a "Car Craft" Restoration or Automotive business here..

There is a Kar Kraft body shop in Glenwood MN, but they are just a body shop - not a restoration or Race car Fabrication / maintenance shop.

Now here's something really odd -
There is a Kar Kraft facility in Brighton, Michigan. They were / are builders of many High Performance Ford cars..

Is it possible that there are a few confused memories here?

I'd really like to hear and see more.. If the current notable reference books are wrong - then so be it, but I think before I would call them wrong, I'd like to see a bit more in regard to proof and corroboration..

Would you have any documentation of my GT 40 at the 1966 LeMans trials. AM GT 40/1 with the Alan Mann team. Or any data as my car was listed in a few places as a spare for the race. I know it did not run the race event. I can pay you for any costs and for your efforts.
Thanks, Rex

Hi

The documents I have are the scrutinising and full race reports from the 66 and 67 race. They don't include information about test days.

Best

Warren

Regarding 108 I'm still confused. Bruce owns it now, your Brother owned it when? Any photo's of it and your Brother? Kar Kraft was part of Ford Factory in Dearborn, MI. 108 was never thought to be scrapped 106 was scrapped and it wasn't a roadster.

Last edited:

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
Odd...

I've lived in Minnesota for most of my 57 years.. While not an authority on all businesses that have done business here in this state, I think I'm relatively well connected and have known and heard of many...

I don't recall a "Car Craft" Restoration or Automotive business here..

There is a Kar Kraft body shop in Glenwood MN, but they are just a body shop - not a restoration or Race car Fabrication / maintenance shop.

Now here's something really odd -
There is a Kar Kraft facility in Brighton, Michigan. They were / are builders of many High Performance Ford cars..

Is it possible that there are a few confused memories here?

Thanks for the info about the MN. shop. That was, of course, a curious reference because of Kar Kraft in Michigan that we are all familiar with ( or most I suspect).
I believe that there are more than a few confused memories involved. I had a guy in the shop about a year ago that claimed that his dad owned a '69 T-bird with a 429 SCJ in it, from the dealer that way. He said his dad could never get the lifters adjusted and had to adjust them every week. For those unfamiliar, the 429 SCJ didn't appear for another year and not in T-birds. The '69 429 had positive stop hydraulic lifters and any attempt to"adjust" them would have resulted in a constant effort to maintain...whatever adjustment. But he swore that is what it came with. 40 years ago and he was only about 10...but he is ABSOLUTELY sure. Some have a great memory, others get cloudy/confused.
He could also mention who performed any repairs, that would be an easy trace from here.

Interestingly the pre 71 aspect to some extent ties in with Ronnie Spain's history of 108 as does the change of ownership later in the 70s

Last edited:
Warren, thanks for jumping in and sharing some information and pics about #108. Tough crowd here no doubt, only because there are a lot of passionate GT40 history buffs here. And, as you may know, there are people who have been known to try to sell modern "recreations" as original cars, so, historical precision and provenance matters.

Thanks again!

Warren, thanks for jumping in and sharing some information and pics about #108. Tough crowd here no doubt, only because there are a lot of passionate GT40 history buffs here. And, as you may know, there are people who have been known to try to sell modern "recreations" as original cars, so, historical precision and provenance matters.

Thanks again!

Thanks. The additional pictures he took in his yard on Old Jacksonville Road outside West of Springfield, IL (area called New Berlin) are colored slides. Perhaps there is a way to get them into prints. Hard to scan them. Might even satisfy the Doubting Thomas in so many of us. In the meantime, I will see if he has any other "documentation."

Ron Earp

Admin
Thanks. The additional pictures he took in his yard on Old Jacksonville Road outside West of Springfield, IL (area called New Berlin) are colored slides. Perhaps there is a way to get them into prints. Hard to scan them. Might even satisfy the Doubting Thomas in so many of us. In the meantime, I will see if he has any other "documentation."

Slides can be scanned by many modern scanners. In addition, any camera shop can scan slides for you into electroic format.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
I may have misunderstood some of the posts, but it seems as if Jay has identified the driver of the vehicle posted as someone other than the OPs brother, which is what was stated. That seems to be a hard one to do, the picture is pretty clear on my PC. I don't know either of the names mentioned, but if I knew THAT guy, I would certainly think I could identify him....even 39 years later.

I may have misunderstood some of the posts, but it seems as if Jay has identified the driver of the vehicle posted as someone other than the OPs brother, which is what was stated. That seems to be a hard one to do, the picture is pretty clear on my PC. I don't know either of the names mentioned, but if I knew THAT guy, I would certainly think I could identify him....even 39 years later.

There is that...

Ron Earp

Admin
Photos here for clairty:

1_GT-40A_A.JPG
1_GT-40E_A.JPG

I would have to agree with Dave. If I saw a friend in a photo I would know it was him/her. Its interesting to see how cars can have such a mysterious life.. or seem to have a mysterious life (depending on how this story unfolds). I think that if we have present pictures it could help clarify things.

-Dave i was going to say the same thing... but could it be a MGA?

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
-Dave i was going to say the same thing... but could it be a MGA?

In all honesty, I didn't post the comment earlier on because I initially thought Healey. But the bumpers seemed to cry out XK120-150 to me. I have an XK120 Doepke model I got as a child from my mom's mom. And that seems pretty similar. The point of origination is the only explanation why my dad didn't throw it out with every other part of my history, including, but not limited to, an American Flyer train set.
I think it appears to big to be an MGA though.

Molleur you have to be correct. MGA tail lights are on the fender not the rear bonnet. The XK140 has a very similar grab handle and also the lights are placed in the same spot.
Good eye!

Let me clearify a few things. The first post here at least suggested 3 things; this car was 106, the car in the pics was still in the posters family and has been since the 70s and that the history books on GT40s were wrong and this car was destroyed. I know were this car is today, it is 108 and the history books know most of the owners. That being said it could be possible that the posters brother owned it at some time in the 70s but he does not own it today and none of the books that I have ever claimed this car was destroyed. I have a very similar set of photos from 1971 with Mr Sawyers plates on the car and he lived in Mi. I do not know what he looks like so can not verify whos in the pics but it is the same guy in all of them. having a old set of photos does not prove much. If Warrens brother did own this car at some time good for him and congrats on being a previous owner of an original GT40.

Back