1966 Ford 351 Race Engine With Gurney Weslake Heads

1966 FORD V8 351 FULL RACE ENGINE

SPEC.
WINDSOR COMPETITION BLOCK<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.gt40s.com/forum/ /><o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/SIZE][/U]
[SIZE=3]<FONT face=FORD 351 ffice:smarttags" /><o:p></o:p>

ORIGINAL GURNEY WESLAKE HEADS<o:p></o:p>
750 DOUBLE PUMP HOLLEY CARB<o:p></o:p>
FULL RACE STEEL CRANK<o:p></o:p>
CARILLO STYLE RODS<o:p></o:p>
FORGED TRW PISTONS<o:p></o:p>
FOUR BOLT MAINS<o:p></o:p>
7” AP FLYWHEEL<o:p></o:p>
DRY SUMP WITH TITAN TWIN SCAVANGE OIL PUMP<o:p></o:p>
HEADS TAKE IDA STUDS<o:p></o:p>
PRIMARIES FOR GT40 IF REQUIRED<o:p></o:p>
426 BHP @ 6,000 RPM<o:p></o:p>
418 FT LB TORQUE @ 4,500 RPM
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
HISTORY<o:p></o:p>
ORIGINALLY BUILT BY IAN RICHARDSON<o:p></o:p>
PERIODICALLY REBUILT BY GREG MARGATES AT COMPETITION ENGINE SERVICES<o:p></o:p>
NOT RUN SICE LAST REBUILD AND DYNO TEST BY CES IN 2002 AT A COST OF £4,500 (BILLS AND DYNO SHEETS AVAILABLE)<o:p></o:p>
RECENTLY DRY STORED AND REGULARLY TURNED<o:p></o:p>
PURCHASED FROM TREVOR TAYLOR IN 2006 – WHO HAD COMPETED THE ENGINE IN A GT40 INCLUDING WINNING THE SPORTS RACING AND GT CHALLENGE SERIES PRE 2002

[SIZE=+0]PRICE: ££ OFFERS[/SIZE]​

</U>

Hmmm...
According to Ronnie Spain's book, "GT40, an Individual History and Race Record", the 351 didn't get used until January 1967 when it was installed in Mirage chassis M.10003. All subsequent uses of the 351 were in Mirage chassis cars according to the book. The only exceptions I can find are July 1968 and May 1969 when AMGT2 used a 351.

I Am Obviously Not An Authority On This Subject Unlike Many Of The Members In The Forum.
The Engine Can Be Viewed For Sale At Racecarsdirect.com.
Perhaps Someone More Educated In This Area Could Bring Me Up To Speed.
Many Thanks

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
The 351W was initially offered in production cars in 1969. There were developement engines that made their way into some cars, including Can Am. I believe they were usually in the 377 size range. Besides casting #s, which would be helpful to see, there should also be a date code casting that tells exactly when it was made.I think there was a G-W 377 in one of the late 60s Can Am cars, I recall it being driven by a noted driver but don't remember who right now.

Hi
The Only Info I Have On This Engine Is What I Have Gained From People Who Have Had Past Interest In It. I Would Obviously Be Very Interested To Know Exactly What I Have For Sale And To Be Factually Correct With Respect To Year / Type / Size Etc.
Can Anyone Help Me Identify The Block Etc, For Example - Where Should I Be Looking For Numbers On The Block And What Type Of Numbers / Markings Should I Be Looking For And How Then Can I Use Those To Verify The Engine??
Many Thanks
Andrew

Hi, Andrew,
If it is a 67 block it shood have the prefix ''XE'' then 6 numbers, my frend Sean has a mirage one in hes shop i can get the rest of numbers if you need. The place to look is on the block where the starter woold mount, ther is a flat and all numbers and letters are ther. If it starts with C9 (69) or D1(71) or E2 (82) or any number then it will be a normal block, or it coold be a Ford motorsport block which will be 4 bolt main but 1980's, and not special like the mirage one.
Hope this helps.

Cheese n Ham, Boris.

Thanks Boris,
I'll Have A Look And See Whats There.
I Have Been Advised To Ask £12,950 For This Engine - I Think This Is A Fair Asking Price Considering All Of The Bits Especially The Heads And The Fact It Last Had An £4,500 Professional Rebuild??
Now All I Need Is A Buyer!
Andrew

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
It would be good to check the stroke, I am pretty sure that most of the 351W engines they were experimenting with were at 377 inches. I think it had to do with the rules at the time.

The 351W was initially offered in production cars in 1969. There were developement engines that made their way into some cars, including Can Am. I believe they were usually in the 377 size range. Besides casting #s, which would be helpful to see, there should also be a date code casting that tells exactly when it was made.I think there was a G-W 377 in one of the late 60s Can Am cars, I recall it being driven by a noted driver but don't remember who right now.

Would that have been Lothar Motschenbacher in McLaren M6B after he took over the engine from Gurneys Can Am Lola.
If so that was 375ci based on HD 302 Block with 4"Bore x 3.75" Stroke which would have to either have an extended deck height or one lousy rod ratio. if you go onto the GT40 restoration on the 'Racing Icons' site you will find photos of cyl heads with extended combustion chambers for use on 'tall' blocks.
There were also alloy blocks around that time also @ 344 ci.

Jac Mac

Back