2005 Ford GT - ebay auction for the right to buy

Re: $176,100 and counting

Rob,

I'll bet that you are correct. Ford is not about to allow

"dealer greed" to cast a dark shadow over the time, effort,

money invested, and future gain of the GT project.

The scalpers should all be drawn and quartered! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Bill

If Ford was behind this, good for them. Many Chevy Dealers in California highly mark up Corvettes. Too bad Chevy doesn't have the same morals as Ford. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Its not gouging its supply and demand. When we have to sell at a loss because we have more of something than the market will bear no one complains! If the market is $20,000 over list then that is what the car is worth at that time. If I sold it for msrp and then the buyer turned around and made a $20,000 dollar profit selling it again did I not sell it short in the first place? And before everybody is singing praises about Ford for their fairness- if they wanted to be fair they would make sure all of the dealers that wanted one would get one before anyone would get their second.I have a large dealer close to me getting 2 and I as of yet am not even getting one.

Ford Dealer,
You should stick to the Ford game plan.
Let the sale of the GT(at MSRP) be the precursor of many more sales(smart business decision).
If you try to sell the GT above MSRP, you'll alienate plenty of other potential Ford customers(bad business decision). Is that worth the mark up on the one GT that you may be alloted? I don't think so!
Don't try to argue the point, because the customer is always right, and I've been a Ford customer for 30+ years! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bill

Howard Jones

Supporter

Duval, What do you really want to sell, Mustangs, F150, etc. How about anyone who test drives a mustang gets a ticket good for the right to enter a draw. They would be drawing for the right to buy a GT at a advertised price lets say $150,000. Do a local radio ad, or TV with the GT out in front of the dealership, and you get the fact that you have one of the new GT's at your dealership, a lot of foot traffic, maybe even sell a few mustangs etc. The price would be public and you could make a big deal about being a fair respected dealership. Give away some hotdogs and applepie and do it over the 4th of july weekend. Lots of American flags, Job #1, pacecar of the new Ford motor company. Get the Idea?

I will say one more thing on this subject. I have one of the highest repeat buyer ratings in my region. I have that because I treat my customers fairly,(sell at a reasonable mark-up) and take care of them in the shop. Tell me this how many of you would sell something you owned for $140,000 when you know there are buyers for $180,000. I bet that list is awfully short! With the fact that we will only get 1 or 2 for sure you are definitely not going to build enough goodwill by selling at msrp to make up $25,000 to $50,000 in profit. And no one wants to talk about the fact that people will sell them after they buy them to make a profit and then its ok. I had that happen on our first new style t-bird, sold it for msrp and a week later customer sold it for $5000 profit. Its plain and simple market economics, maybe it would be better if Ford just priced it at $180,000 right away?

I am constantly amazed at the greed and stupidity of car dealers. When was the last time anyone paid sticker for a new car? Anyone purchasing a new GT is more than willing to pay sticker price for the car. But no, they have to screw over their best customer to the tune of another 10 or 20K.
Then they wonder why there is no dealer loyalty.
If you sell that car for sticker your profit is around 25k after all is said and done.Not enough? How many Focus's is that?

Jacking up prices on the T-Birds wasn't nice. Now, the sells are so horrible, word is that Ford is discontinuing that model.

I just don't get it. When someone sells a car over MSRP, at least they could give you a free jar of Vaseline.

Once again, English to English dictionary please. I am sure I would like what you blokes(sp)have to say,but what is "tosh"? If you want to say bullshit, just say it.
Respectfully submitted.
William Peter

I find myself in agreement with forddealer on this one. There are a number of people on this forum who own businesses, and I think I can safely say that none of them sell their products for less than what the market is prepared to pay. In fact, for a public corporation, that sort of behavior could leave the officers liable to the stockholders who would most certainly be after their heads.

Supply and demand works both ways. I like the idea of buying a car for $500 to $1,000 over invoice too, and I do so whenever I can. When the dealer can get a better price for the car, he is equally entitled to. I won’t pay $30,000 over list for a car, but that’s my choice. I chose not to buy the car under those conditions. If someone else is willing to pay that, the dealer would be stupid to sell it for less.

I am not sure how this whole thing of car dealers verses their customers got started. Car dealers are businessmen, and most of the ones I have known are good people and are smart enough to know the importance of their reputation.

Still when you buy a car for $500.00 over invoice (yes, I am aware of holdback, we will include that) do you stop and consider what that means to the dealer. He is paying a floorplan of around 12% to finance his inventory. In a big dealership hundreds of cars sit there, all costing 1% of their price each month just so they can be sitting there so that you can get exactly what you want without having to wait. He has to pay commissions to a sales person and a sales manager. He has the overhead of the buildings and the lights and advertising, etc. And for all his money tied up and time invested he would like to make some profit. Yet when you buy a car for $500.00 over invoice, even with holdback, he probably didn’t make more than a few hundred dollars on a $30,000 to $40,000 transaction.

In retail the normal markup is 50%. When you go into a store and buy something you probably paid twice what the store paid for it. Yet people think they are being fair to the dealer when they expect him to make maybe 1% to 2% on his transaction.

My point here is that we are not concerned with being fair to the dealer when we are in a position of strength (I am as guilty here as anyone). We take as much advantage as we can and think this is fine, but on those rare occasions when the dealer is in a position to make some extra money on the deal, we yell that he is behaving badly and not being fair. Where is the difference?

We also talk about how the dealer should treat his customers well because customer loyalty is important. It is, but lets say a dealer has treated you well in past and this time you go in and get a price (a good one) but discover that for some reason another dealer will sell it for $300.00 less. Will you be loyal to the dealer who has treated you well in the past? Or will you go somewhere else to save a little money? Just how much loyalty do you really have, even when the dealer has gone out of his way to treat you well in the past?

I guess my point in all of this is that fair is fair. The way most people treat dealers is terrible, and what you put out comes back to you. If we want to have better relationships with car dealers, we need to look at how we approach the issue and what beliefs we carry into the encounter. If most people went into buying a car with the concern that the deal be fair for everyone, including the dealer, that it is reasonable for a salesman who works 6 day weeks to make a decent living (Most of them don’t), I think this whole adversarial situation would cease.

Kevin

Kevin,

that's exactly what I think about - couldn't have said it better.
I'm working as a sales representative (not for cars) and I know alot about customers behaviour and reactions - and I think this Ford dealer is absolutely right. If there are customers who are able & willing to pay more than sticker price for a car he would be more than stupid if he doesn't sell it to them.

But the daily situation is another one - if you want to sell a normal car, you have to give discounts to potential buyers - the bigger, the better. So the "profit" for daily drivers is more than small and in some cases, you make a loss. And if you have the chance to compensate this with a car which is highly sought after and can be sold for more than sticker price without cheating your customers (note: they pay their money voluntary to get this car earlier than other people!!!), why not? I think under economical reasons you must do it - otherwise you'd be faster out of business than you like.

That's my opinion. Of course I try to be a smart shopper and get the best price for the goods I need or want to have - but the seller of any product has the same right to do his best to sell the product for the best possible price. If the goods are overpriced, he'll notice that very quick in missing buyers.

It's absolutely OK to comment offers and to say his personal opinion about item conditions, asked prices and so on - but to say a seller is greed and stupid only because the price of his offer is high and more than I personally would pay for it is extremly unfair and nearly insulting.

If there's a buyer who wants to pay the asked price it's OK and a good deal for both sides - and a deal is made between a buyer and a seller, not between other people around who are not involved.

Best regards,
Volker

Funny

Considering how "little" dealers make on new cars,
I haven't seen any go under in my area.
In fact several have expanded.

There is nothing illegal about selling over MSRP...
if someone wants to pay more, that's up to them.
But any dealer who does so should not complain
about bad breath or lost customers as a result.
You made your business decision...live with it.

MikeD

[ QUOTE ]
Funny

Considering how "little" dealers make on new cars,
I haven't seen any go under in my area.
In fact several have expanded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the situation is a little different in the U.S. than in Germany - but I don't think it's completly other. In my area during the last 3 years more than 12 dealers closed, most of them are bankrupt - no unknown brands like Opel (GM), Seat (VW) and VW itself, Ford, Subaru, Mitsubishi - and the surviving ones try to concentrate. Ten years ago we had about 6 different BMW dealers around - nowadays there are only 4, and all owned by one person who got strong support from the factory to make sure that there are at least some service points.
The local Ford dealer needed a new roof last year in summer - I know from the workmen that he didn't pay for it until now. So if he makes that much money some people assume, why isn't he able to pay his bills?

In fact the profits for selling new cars are not very big here in Germany - the only chance to make some money is if you have a good repair shop included. But the older the cars are, the less people go to official repair shops...

As told, maybe the situation is different in the States - but here in Germany I'm really not keen on being a car dealer today - for no company....

Volker

Volker,

It is very much the same in the US. Dealers make their money in the in the service department. They are usually happy if they make a little money on the sales end of the business, but a fair amount of the time, breaking even is the best they can hope for from sales.

Kevin

Kevin,
I would say more warranty work than service. That is why there was a big uproar when a lot of manufacturers re-evaluated their time to repair for warranty claims. The cash cow would have not been so lucrative. This is only my opinion though.

Brett

Brett,

You are absolutely right. I meant both when I said service.

One of the big problems facing dealerships now is that as cars are becoming so much more reliable, the dealers aren’t getting the amount of warranty business that they used to and are having to become competitive with the independent repair shops to try to get more of the older car, out of warranty work. This is not easy for some of them since it means changing a lot of the way they do things, but in the long run it will certainly make things better for the customers.

By the way, I like your pet. Most cats seem so small… But Yours... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kevin

I have a nother one as well, who also likes to do impressions of a 15 inch tyre /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Attachments

• 31368-DSC00102.JPG
    31368-DSC00102.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 207

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

I think this is a really interesting discussion and remarkable for its' depth.. I would just like to add this: even the Ford dealers with the most clout will get an allottment of say two cars at the beginning of all this. Even if you pad the price by thirty thousand dollars, times two cars you've added sixty thousand dollars to the dealers' bottom line for the year, or the quarter, or whatever. Big deal.
Instead, I would do this; announce that the car will sell for a specified amount over invoice, but not an outrageous amount. Then, have a lottery of the qualified buyers (folks who have the money) and sell the cars, at the advertised somewhat raised price, to those two guys. This answers both issues: the dealer doesn't sell the car at MSRP to someone who will turn it around and make a huge profit on it (although you know that will happen someplace, somewhere, with someone), and there's an ingredient of fairness- the lottery- that rewards plain dumb luck.
After all, the issue here is just being first, or nearly first; most of the folks that want one and can afford it will get one sooner or later, won't they...so it's just down to being the first on the block with the new toy.
Besides, if some of the rumors are true, it won't be the fastest thing on the block anyway..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am very glad to see that there are some people out there that understand business, and dont have to throw insults to make their points. As to the warranty discussion, it is true that quality is up and warranty work is down. Over the last ten years ours has gone down over 40%. Ford tells us this trend will continue. It is harder than ever to make a profit in this business. I am not complaining- just stating facts. As far as the new GT, Ford cant tell me for sure if I will get one or not. So I went to someone I know will get 2 and am paying him $12500 over msrp just to make sure I will get to own one - just gotta have it!!!!

Back