2014, Daytona 24

Ron Earp

Admin
It is cold in FL, no joke. Low to mid 60s for the highs at Daytona today and they don't hang on long. Sunday the high barely hits 60. Have fun down there fellows, I'll watch what I can on the garage TV while I tear into a lifter problem on the race car.

Pat

Supporter
It was a great time catching up with Jim Craik and Jimmy Patton. The weather was a bit chilly but warmed up and the racing was fantastic. Heck, Mrs Veek even commented how much fun getting together was, "even the water pump part" which was a lively discussion of belt alignment and the Ford 302 motor.
On a more serious note, thoughts and prayers for the recovery of #99 driver Memo Gidley who was seriously injured at the race.

Attachments

• P1250009.jpg
    P1250009.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 253

Pat

Supporter
More sights from the Daytona 24

Attachments

• 009 Aston Martin 2.jpg
    009 Aston Martin 2.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 209
  • Ganassi Racing.jpg
    Ganassi Racing.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 231
  • Ferrari leaves the pits.jpg
    Ferrari leaves the pits.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 207
  • P1250011 - Copy.jpg
    P1250011 - Copy.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 233

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Home safe and sound...............& warm........

I want to thank Pat and Debby for their wonderful hospitality, being with folks who know the ropes makes all the differance, I had a great time!

Great meeting you Jimmy, he's a great guy, great fun!

I owe you folks, I'm thinking Monterey in August......

Come stay on the mountain.

Jeff, I found your motor home on Sunday morning, but they said you were still sleeping...................at 10 AM with race cars thundering by 100 feet way!

But I can understand that, as Daytona at night is just magic.................every bit as cool as Le Mans with much better visability and way fewer French people:)

Jack, sorry we didn't hook up, I was looking forward to meeting you.

Our prayers go out to Memo, his team and family. They had the fastest car, it could have been their year, what a shame:(

Last edited:

Pat

Supporter
Jack, I'm so sorry we missed you. Maybe next time we need to determine a rally point or something to meet up. We didn't know they had closed the France Blvd tunnel entrance so poor Jimmy had to hoof it a mile to two to connect. But I'm glad we were able to meet up, the more the merrier.
Jim, I'm glad you had a good time and It's always a lot more fun when you have a group of friends to share the experience. Debby told me that I was to encourage you to bring Fran next time. You can considering flying into Orlando a day early and stay at Casa Veek to give yourself a night to beat the jet lag.
As for the race, it's always an interesting coincidence that a full course yellow seems to come out to tighten up the standings in the last hour or so. It was a great dash to the end and while I was disappointed in the Wayne Taylor #10 car couldn't pull off the win, I think the fastest car won. Congrats to the number 5 Action Express Racing car on a great victory. Of interest is the controversy over IMSA officials penalizing the first in class GTD car of Allesandro Pier Guidi, for avoidable contact with the number 45 Flying Lizard Audi. Replays open to question if contact was actually made.
It was a great time for Debby and me made all the better being able to connect with Jim and Jimmy.

Attachments

• BMW hits the pits.jpg
    BMW hits the pits.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 215
  • P1250007 - Copy.jpg
    P1250007 - Copy.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 202
  • P1260088.jpg
    P1260088.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 200
Pat, Debby & Jim, Thanks for a great day out. Jim you remain my hero as anyone who has a GT40 with 40K on it can't be anything but IMHO. Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound. After you guys dropped me off I unloaded my coat in my car and headed back to the race just to get my fill since I knew I wouldn't be able to return Sunday. I ventured back into the merchandise area and walked the track to see the race from different viewpoints. That track has changed in a HUGE way since I worked as a corner worker back in the late 70's and early 80's. Its so much more upscale then I recall. Sadly, not long after I got to turn 2 the massive accident occured so I left shortly after when the red flag came out. I too watched the completion of the race on TV and it was a great finish for fans...helped by a few well timed yellow flags! I witnessed some great sights and sounds and am sorry I we didn't get to meet up with Jack and others. Pat, let me know if you go to Amelia Island this year. Thanks again guys....really enjoyed the day.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jimmy,

I really enjoyed meeting you, you are great fun to watch a race with!

If you can make it out to Monterey for the Historics, I would love to show you around. There are a huge number of fun events during that week, and there should be lots of 40s.

I was able to find some good news about Memo....

“That was one scary crash that could have had a much worse outcome,” teammate Alex Gurney said. “We were able to see him and speak with him this morning. He is one tough guy, and he’s going to pull through this. I told him to take the rest of the day off.”
Gurney and fellow teammates Jon Fogarty and Darren Law visited Gidley in the hospital Sunday morning.
“It’s great to see that he’s in good spirits,” Fogarty said. “His positive attitude and physical fitness will be a huge asset in his recovery.”

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Upon further review.......

l5win.jpg
Photo: John Dagys

IMSA has reversed the stop-and-hold plus 75 second penalty issued to Level 5 Motorsports on the last lap of the Rolex 24 at Daytona, thus making the No. 555 Ferrari 458 Italia GT3 the new GT Daytona class winner.
IMSA officials reviewed the situation after the race. IMSA’s Scot Elkins, VP of Competition and Technical Regulations, came into the media center more than three hours after the checkered flag to release a statement.
Here is the official statement: “A full post-race review of the incident on the last lap of the 52nd Rolex 24 At Daytona was completed by IMSA Supervisory Officials. The decision has been made to reverse the decision by the race director, rescind the penalty against the No. 555 Level 5 Motorsports Ferrari 458 Italia team, and reinstate drivers Scott Tucker, Bill Sweedler, Townsend Bell, Jeff Segal and Alessandro Pier Giuidi as the GT Daytona class winners. We regret the confusion following the race.

Last edited:

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Yeah, sorry I missed you guys. Terrible flu all weekend. Just now getting over it.

Was knocked out on cold medicine for most of the race....

Jim, Many thanks for your offer which I would love to take you up on. Thanks also for the updates on those involved in the accident. When witnessed at speed its remarkable to know both drivers are "ok" and not in more serious condition. A testament to drivers of not so long ago mandating safety changes to cars ala "The Killer Years" documentary that aired.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Howard,

Great photos, thanks!

I really enjoyed going to the Rolex 24, what a great event.

We had just the standard pit entry passes, yet we were able to go out to the pre-grid, walk among the cars, then with about 15 minutes to engine start, we walked across the beautiful grass with the large "Daytona" logo, across the track and up into the stands to watch the start were you could see about 75% of the track.

Then during the race, the working garages were open and you could stand and watch the feverish activity of changing brakes and fixing bashed up cars.

I've been to Le Mans and none of that would NEVER happen there.

A great trip and I will do that one again!

Last edited:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Haward,

Great photos, thanks!

I really enjoyed going to the Rolex 24, what a great event.

We had just the standard pit entry passes, yet we were able to go out to the pre-grid, walk among the cars, then with about 15 minutes to engine start, we walked across the beautiful grass with the large "Daytona" logo, across the track and up into the stands to watch the start were you could see about 75% of the track.

Then during the race, the working garages were open and you could stand and watch the feverish activity of changing breaks and fixing bashed up cars.

I've been to Le Mans and none of that would NEVER happen there.

A great trip and I will do that one again!

At our age Jim we need to enjoy this kind of stuff as much as possible. :)

Back