347 Windsor Stroker First Run on Dyno

Well, after much fooling about and much spent, my proper motor is finally done and ready to go in to the 40. I've had my DRB GT40 registered for nearly a year and not driven it since rego as it was built initially to get through registration requirements with a suitable motor and I have since spent the last year getting a roll cage, proper exhaust, decent engine and body and paint. Time flies when you're spending money...

Anyways, after two aborted attempts the engine got on the dyno on Thursday. Result after a bit of bedding in was 415 HP at 6900 rpm. Couple of things to note:
1) Since motor is brand new they only gave it 20 deg total ign advance. Guessing it should be closer to 35 - 38 deg total advance, so that should get the power up a bit.
2) Power was still climbing at 6900 when they decided to stop! Think the combination is a bit more revvy than I had planned! Not a bad problem to have given the short gearing in the 016 trans. Not sure how hard I should rev the cast crank and I beam rods however, but there's only one way to find out! My previous track car was a bridgeported and turboed rotary, so 8500 rpm was the fuel cut on that one, though I won't be going near that with this motor.

Anyways, soon as the car is back from the painters (hopefully in the next couple of weeks) I'll get the engine in and sorted out. Then onto chassis dyno and tune the motor to go properly.

Quick specs are:

Ford Motorsport Boss block
347 stroker bottom end (scat crank, rods, KB forged pistons)
Edelbrock Victor Jr Ali heads
Lunati solid roller cam 244/250 deg at 50 thou, 598 thou lift on both
50 mm downdraft throttle bodies and manifold from DC&O
Wolf V500 ECU to run it all (including 8 LS7 coil packs for spark)

Looking forward to getting it in the car and on the track. Acceleration won't be an issue I'm thinking...

Mike Pass

Supporter
Sounds like there is a lot more to come when the timing is spot on. The combo you have will rev well I would think especially with those heads and throttle bodies. I don't know what the rev limit will be with the set up you have but with forged pistons it should take 6,5000rpm all day long. What's more interesting is the torque figure with a stroker motor. Even with a top end type setup the torque should be good which is what gives you accelleration. Martin's 347 stroker gave 319bhp amd 430 ft lbs with RPM heads and 4 barrel Holley with 375 ft lbs from 3,000rpm up. The engine will grab your attention when you hit the road! A Ferrari F40 has only a little bit more power and weighs more! You may well find the tyres spinning up quite a lot unless you have some which are big wide and sticky. I know of one like your which is being detuned as it it is a bit much for the rear tyres which spin up as soon as the throttle is hit.
Let us know what the final figures are when run in and fully set up or post the dyno graphs for us to drool over. Have fun.
Cheers
Mike

Back