427 in a Mk1

Quinn,

if you get the block for nothing your on to a good start. You say it comes with all the parts. If these are serviceable that is even better. As a guide, my side oiler has cost me around $8000 in parts so far (not including block), and its not finished yet !

My big concern would be your last point - the proximity of the exhausts to the rear clip. You can both wrap the pipes and put heat reflective matting on the clip, so maybe this isn't really a problem.

You can run the big block with a wide winged sump rather than a dry sump, but space is limited and it will most likely need to be specially fabricated (An Aviaid cobra one might work if your lucky).

I suspect using a thick core alloy radiator will do wonders for the cooling, as long as you also use a swirl pot to help seperate the air. Oil cooling would be a great benefit too.

Finally, you could use a ZF box. Sure they broke in the original cars, but this was under race conditions. I was told Panteras with big blocks have no problems, and the ZF expert in the UK told me the same. It seems these might be harder to find than a 930 box at present though.

Finally, finally ;) , you need to speak to the chosen chassis supplier so they can advise on fitting a big block, engine mounts, increased weight, and any clearance issues (remember a big block sump is 24 inches long, then add the front pulley clearance...).

Hope that helps.

Save the 427 for something else. Use a bored and stroked W351. It will be less expensive, make more power and use newer technology.

A potential purchaser of your GTMkI (and that day will come sooner or later) will most likely not see the "strange" combination as a plus. that's not to say that there isn't someone out there that wouldn't purchase it, but most folks would look at it and deduct whatever it would cost to put in the "correct" motor or change the body work to MKII style.

But in the end, do whatever it takes to "float your boat". Just realize the potential consequences.

Jim

Well, if there is a will there is a way! But that may take a large budget to get the kinks worked out.

Have you thought about one of Fran's Mk IV's?????? If my wife would stop spending.... my dream garage would have BOTH a MkI and a MkIV. Fran can you call my wife please??? I would rather send the money your way....

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Keep it up Danimal and your wife, or should I say ex-wife will have your dream garage!:)

Gregg,

I said I wanted Fran to talk to her... I wasn't trying to trade her for a RCR,.... hmmmmm now there's a thought.... Nah, I couldn't do that to Fran!:rolleyes:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
You can stuff the 427FE motor into a Mark I car, but you'll spend a lot of time and effort, not to mention $$$, doing it. The ZF transaxle will work with it, if you are careful and don't get in the habit of doing drop shifts or burnouts all the time.

I don't think you'll end up with a favorable ratio of effort to fun, though; I would save the 427FE motor for an aluminum Cobra like a Kirkham, where the technology to make it fit already exists. All the issues mentioned above are far less trouble in a Kirkham or similar car which is already engineered to accept the 427 sideoiler motor.

Sounds like you win either way, frankly. Good for you. The only thing that I would rather find in my garage than a 427FE sideoiler engine would be a 1957 Fender Tweed Twin (the low-power, twin rectifier version). Whoops, wrong forum. Sorry :)

Back