44 Years Ago

Will always remember the loss of Jimmy. Had planned on seeing him race at Indy 1968. The whole Lotus team effort was somewhat somber by then with the loss of Jimmy a month before and Mike Spence in Indy practice that month. The Lotus STP turbine cars were typical Chapman innovation and nearly won the race. Always wondered how they would have performed in Jimmy's hands.

I had gone to Brands Hatch with my father to watch the BOAC 500, Jim Clark and Graham Hill were down to drive the Ford 3L protype but went to Hockenhiem instead.

Early in the day I remember I bought a pack of six postcard pictures of racing drivers from one of the shops there. In the packet were photos of Clark, McLaren, Rint and some others, within a few years only Jackie Stewart was still alive out of the six.

Were these the "Golden Days?"

I went to an evening and Jackie was giving a talk.
He spoke about the time prior to his retirement.
He was at a funeral every month for 6-8 months,I cant remember the numbers exactly but it was high.
That was the decider for him.

Jim

46 Years Ago
Jim Clark - Hockenheim 1968

Thanks Jim :cry::cry:

Shame he never drove a GT40.
My all time dream GT40/JC :heart::heart:

Attachments

• Jim Clark Scan.jpg
    Jim Clark Scan.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 193
I first started going to Motor racing about 1966 at Bay Park in Mt Maunganui NZ. I got see McLaren, Hulme, Amon, Brabham and other Euro and American stars that used to come over in the off season to Race in the Tasman series in Aus/NZ. In the late 60s until 75 it was F5000s the NZGP has never been the same since. They weren't the safe years but they sure were the "Golden Years" I still see Chris at historic meetings, always smiling, and happy to chat, in fact, him, Howdan Ganly and Eion Young were at Hampton Downs for the Ferrari Festival a month or so back. They will always live on in the memories of us older Gents. Cheers Leon

Back