460 Ford help needed

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
This is not Gt40 related, but for a Cobra replica. There seems to be some of the best brains on this forum, and I would like to pick them for a moment. Recently a fellow brought me a 460 to rebuild out of a Cobra he recently purchased off Ebay. The engine came to me without the oil filter on it. Now it is time to reinstall the engine, and I haven't found a short enough oil filter. The common short unit is still way to long. He did not keep the old one so I could not get a manufactuer and a part number for it. He seems to think it was only about 2 1/2 inches long. I also do not find the manufactuer name on the car so I might contact them either. I know some of you gentelmen have Cobras also and might be able to offer a solution.
Thank You for any help you might be able to offer.
Regards Brian

Hi Brian,

If you only have 2.500" of space to fit a filter I would look into fitting a remote filter of a standard or larger size. Any of the circle track sites should be able to help you with the ,Filter mount & bracket, Block adaptor, Hoses & Fittings. The 460 uses the same filter as any small block Ford , Use -10 hose & Fittings.

Cheers
Jac Mac

I had a similar issue in a vehicle I swapped an FE into. I found that the oil filter from a 00' or so Ford F-150 had a real short oil filter, that had the same thread and stuff as the old filter that all other ford motors had, like my FE, and your 460. I can't remember the exact legnth of that filter, but it was like half as long as the regular ones.

I eventually ended up w/ an oil filter relocator from summit for $40.....best thing I ever did for an oil filter!.....made changing the oil WAY easier!

I had a similar situation on a SBF. I don't know if a FE 460 uses the same size screw-on filter, which if memory serves me right is a 3/4" x 16. I ended up calling the Mobil 1 "hot line" and they were able to designate a filter that worked. It also was quite short (about 3") and came from a Lexus. You might give them a call. Good luck.

Back