6-speed UN1?

Howard Jones

Supporter
Paul, I haven't driven my car enough to get a informed impression. I would say however that I like the ratios. I'm not a drag racer type. Never have been. I like the feel of a long 1st gear. It makes me feel like I'm really in a road race car. Second is really a useful gear now. I can cruse around in the slow part of town and leave it in 2nd. 25-35 mph. When on the power the 2nd to 3rd shift puts the engine right back on the top of the torque curve. Real nice. The 1st, 2nd shift is still a little troublesome but fooling with the adjustments in the cables have made it better. More fooling to go on that one.

I will say that if a guy had a really steep driveway or some other serious need for a short first gear then the DB 3.0 might be better. These cars are so light that just about any V8 will have enough torque in 1st to be fine no matter which one you choose for normal driving. These comments are using a 3.44 final. The 3.89 would love the taller CC 1st.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Everyone

6 speed UN1 Prices are £4700 for the complete box and £3200 for a gear set kit.
Available from Tornado Sports Cars.
I posted about these 6 speeds about 6 months ago but there was no interest and now everybody wants one. We sold 2 today.

Thanks

Andy

What a wonderful thing!

Having gone down the UN1 track over the past few years and having several UN1 boxes apart in the workshop at the moment I know what a wonderful thing we have in our cars!
Anyway .. just a few comments in my opinion on these things. Weather right or wrong heres my take on this.

Someone commented on gear loading stresses.
Ok. Helical cut gears are stronger than straight cut for the same given size.
Straight cut are used because of the 'minimal' power gains from not having the gear teeth 'wipe' over each other as in helical. (read friction)
Helical gears dont separate any easier than straight cut because the teeth still have to 'ride' over the individual teeth 'curve', so there are parting stresses in both designs.
Straight cut gearsets create more loading on the secondary shaft thrust bearing. Well, actually not the straight cut gears themselves but what happens is there is only sheer stress on the bearing of the input shaft. The secondary shaft 'rear' bearing has both sheer and lateral stress MORE than the input shaft with straight cut gears. This is because when you are using helical gears, the gears are actually cut in an 'opposing' direction to the stress of the crownwheel and pinion gear. Sooooo when the car is accelerating forward, the pinion gear is pushing back on the rear bearing and load plate. What happens with helical cut gears is that the turning force on the input shaft through helical cut gears, 'opposes' this force on the secondary shaft to lower stress on the rear pinion bearing and load plate.
An even simplier explaination - with straight cut gears, there is full crownwheel/pinion lateral backward force on the bearing/loadplate, the secondary shaft being pushed back. With helical cut gears the input shaft wants to push the secondary shaft forward, so lessening the load on the secondary rear bearing and loadplate.

Just something I was looking at with the 6-speed conversion though. Does it use the existing input and secondary shafts of the UN1 box, and just have new gears slipped on, or are they completely new shafts??????

One other question, who has blown or broken a 2-spider differential unit in their UN1 box?? I have one box at the moment Im building up where I have put (read adapted) in the 4-spider unit from a 369 box (I have a Un1-13) with 3.44 FD. Having the thought of 500+ hp/tque going thorough 2-spider gears kinda gave me nightmares. Any comments???

Andy Sheldon said:
I posted about these 6 speeds about 6 months ago but there was no interest and now everybody wants one. We sold 2 today.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy - I had a quick search of your posts but couldn't find the posting you mention above, any pointers?

Also - might be interested in a set myself - can you post pics of the kits you offer please....

RamboLambo said:
Just something I was looking at with the 6-speed conversion though. Does it use the existing input and secondary shafts of the UN1 box, and just have new gears slipped on, or are they completely new shafts??????

One other question, who has blown or broken a 2-spider differential unit in their UN1 box?? I have one box at the moment Im building up where I have put (read adapted) in the 4-spider unit from a 369 box (I have a Un1-13) with 3.44 FD. Having the thought of 500+ hp/tque going thorough 2-spider gears kinda gave me nightmares. Any comments???

Hi there, speaking to Chris Cole, it would appear the kit he offers, detailed above retains just the gearbox casings / diff. I cannot see that the gears would fit the existing shafts as an extra gear is in there anyway.
Remember 5th used to hang on the end...

Re your diff dilema, the problem as I see it is not the strength of the gears, but more the fact that without any form of LSD, you'll be wheelspinning like mad and it is that that destroys the gears. When one rear wheel breaks traction to the point of smoking the tyre, one can only imagine just how fast the planet gears are spinning at that point. The fact that they run on a 'plain pin' is the crux of the problem, numerous over here have broken following wheel-spinning exploits on the sprints/hillclimbs. Having 4 instead of 2 might just make it twice as likely to happen (IMHO)....

Thanks for the explanation of straight vs bevel cut loadings.... any opinion on which gear loads the input shaft most? 1st or 5th/6th??

One last thing, a first name would be nice, can't quite get to grips with calling someone 'Rambo Lambo' - but hey, thats me..

Howard Jones

Supporter
Rambo, I just can't envision a stock R21 (UN-1) lastling very long if you have either a lot of grip (slicks) or a lot of high speed 4th or 5th gear full power.

Hi Paul and Howard, (and any others reading this).
Name here is Bruce. Sorry for the Rambo bit .. must have Sly Stalone on the mind ......

Ok on your comments. I see then that if the shafts are newly made for the application then you would think the person making them would not have put in things like the undercut on the spline at the joint. A sure weak point.
Then the pinion gear would have to be recut as well ...... not too much an issue ... Just a thought about the shafts that was all.
Yep, I know 5th hangs out the back. And there is room for all those gears in there, just a matter of machining them to suit the room available.
I hear what you're saying about the diff and wheelspin. Having 4 spider gears will effectivly halve the torque placed on them if only using 2. Interesting to note that Lotus used a 4 spider diff on all the UN1 sourced boxes from 1988.
There are also upgrades for Fords 9" diff head as well to stop such failures.
Also, using 4 spiders gives a more uniform pressure on the output shafts eg: every 90 degrees instead of 180.

More opinions!!
Which gear most loads the gearbox?? 5th! As someone explained in the thread, in the lower gears, torque is reverse multiplied so its easy to spin the wheels with excessive power, but when you're at max revs/power the wheels wont be spinning at 150+ mph! Thats when there is the most strain on the gearbox. Interesting to note, that if you have a slipping clutch for instance (worn) you can still drive ok (carefully) in the lower gears 1st, 2nd etc ... and not slip the clutch, but when you get into the higher gears 4th and 5th for instance, it will slip because there is the most resistance of the vehicle (rolling resistance, aerodynamics blah blah) and as we put our foot down the engine produces more power so it slips! I know there have been 2nd gear failures too but this has been from the dreaded input shaft flex. My 1-peice shaft is of a different material and slightly larger in diameter. But one good thing is that the shaft is supported with '3' bearings now instead of 2. By that I mean the shaft would actually flex quite well where the splined sleeve is from the clutch shaft. Now with a 1-peice shaft it has the clutch end spigot bearing to help stop flex as well. I made my shaft 25mm (1 inch) all the way from the clutch to the first bearing, so this will help eliminate 2nd gear shaft flex problems. I think the Bell shaft is wasted down along that length? .... or so it seems from photos.

Howard, I know what you mean. I uprated my Un1-13 box using ideas from the Bell upgrade. I made a 1-peice input shaft, new gears, bearing bores blah blah ... One thing I did do different to the Bell upgrade is make a new 5th gear. The shaft at that end is now 27mm up from 24 - one size all the way, no undercuts, no steps. The 5th gear size went from 18mm to 21.5mm wide - a 19% increase in size. It dont sound like much but it really is a big advance. Because there is so much stress on this gear when flat out in 5th, I have seen lots of stripped gear failures, so I decided to make new gears - also at a 0.76 ratio instead of the 0.82.

But I guess like anything, you abuse it you break it. I dont do burnouts or excessively hard starts. Once you're moving, put the boot in!

Right, enough of my opinions and theories!

Howard Jones

Supporter
All this talk about how much power a given gear box will take is really about how much ABUSE it will take. Great race car drivers to the man are known for their smoothness and careful use of the car as to NOT break it.

I think if you drive it like it's YOUR money the gearbox will last longer. If you have enough money not to care then buy a stronger gearbox. If you drive it like it's someone else's money then there is no gearbox, or anything else, know to man that will stand up to stupid.

The Renault is a good value if you drive it like it's your money.

The upgrades spoken about here all seam to make them better. Some a lot better. I personally like the Chris Cole version so far, and since it is my money I think it will be fine for some time.

I am in the process of adding a oil cooler and diff/5th oil spray return. The fittings on the box are done and as the budget allows the pump and cooler will come along. This is one other thing I would recommend beyond the other's remarks above.

Mark Donohue, Dan Gurney, Derek Bell and other greats would(do) not have had a problem keeping a Renault alive with 500 ft/lbs.once the weakness's were known. Robbie Gordon on the other hand...... well you get my point.

Oh.... and nice to meet you Bruce. I would love to hear more about your R21 project. Did you add a LSD? How about internal pictures?

Last edited:

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
6 speed

Paul

There are details on our web site and I also sent info to you for the GTD club mag. Did you receive it. Have you changed email address?

Also is our 1/2 page advert still running.

Thanks

Andy

Back