6mtl650 transmission

This transaxle have been discusted before but can it be modified to be used in a mid-engine application by blocking of the rear output shaft.

0000000374.jpg

Audi RS6 AWD variant of the Boxster S gearbox. You'd have to lockup the center diff section, essentially making it a Boxster 6 speed transmission, before you'd be able to use it in a ME-RWD fashion.

I've never been inside one of those RS6 boxes yet, so I can't commnet on any other internal changes from the 2WD six speed version found in the Porsche's.

I got the previous pic from the getrag site, I thought this one was from the boxter, its only rated at 380 nm. and I thought the 6mtl650 was for the quatro AWD. The pic below is the 6mtl380.

0000000372_t.jpg

The 650 box is the quattro AWD gearbox from the RS6. It's essentially the same as the 380 2WD box found in the Porsche Boxster S, but has a center diff and stub shaft. The internals are different to handle the increased torque output of the RS6, but to what extent I don't know as I have not worked on one.

I thought you were asking if you could use the 680 gearbox in a MERWD setup. In order to use the 680 gearbox as a mid engine drivetrain you must open it up, remove the central diff, and lock the spline shafts so that all torque is sent to the front diff. If you don't do that, the car will not move as all torque will be sent to the free spinning stub shaft.

RS6 6mt380 gearboxes are not a common piece.

I got the previous pic from the getrag site, I thought this one was from the boxter, its only rated at 380 nm. and I thought the 6mtl650 was for the quatro AWD. The pic below is the 6mtl380.

View attachment 37437

OK I understand now, so the boster box is a more appropriate unit to use for a mid engine app.

I just thought that the 650 would be a good unit to work with being it could handle more tork, providing some mods are made internaly witch no one was done yet.

Back