917 Engine Internal View

Thanks for the answer - yes, a commitment indeed but what great project.. anyone here fancy a challenge ? ;)

Great work Mark, getting these drawings together must a labour of love in itself.

Here are two more rendered images showing the Camshaft Housing.

The first is of the raw 'casting', the second shows the machined finished part.

Attachments

• CAMSHAFT HOUSING - RAW CASTING.jpg
    CAMSHAFT HOUSING - RAW CASTING.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 658
  • CAMSHAFT HOUSING - MACHINED.jpg
    CAMSHAFT HOUSING - MACHINED.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 712
Jesus Christ, Mark,
I really hope you are gonna post the large renderings, I am dying for a good technical cutaway hanging on the wall!
Perfect job!

Can't wait for the Laguna Historics next weekend.....Porsche is the featured manufacturer. MMmmm....... will be my first time to hear a flat 12 Porsche. Hope the 917-30KL takes some laps.

Hi Mark,

just registered to this forum due to your work regarding the 912 engine! It's very nicely done - I've been in 3D Catia construction some years ago and know what time it takes to show these details and find the geometries fitting together without having the exact dimensions!

As stated before this engine would be produceable but I think the cost would be way to high. So my idea was just as replica cars were build with compromises to modern ways of fabrication, materials and standard parts (talking about frames of steel instead of aluminum, Wilwood or AP racing brakes, ...) it would be great to have a kind of replica engine desinged that takes as basis 911 parts - if costs for cylinders, heads, chain driven camshafts are only for available series components which are fitted together to a new engine housing, this could be a real alternative for the replicas of the different companies

Hi Patrick,

You are absolutely correct. An engine based on a 911 would be more practical if not historically accurate. In fact, I originally started this project by adapting parts from the 2.7 liter engine, and I have quite a bit of that engine designed. It uses the 2.7L heads, has chain driven single overhead cams, and has the power output from the end of the crankshaft so it would bolt up to a 930 transmission. If single plug heads are used, you would only need one distributor and it would be driven as it is in the 6 cyl engine. I hadn't worked out the details of the fan drive, but an external drive, like Porsche used on many race engines, would be the simplest approach for that.

As I worked on this project, I moved away from adapting stock components since a great deal of my interest in the 917 is due to the engine design.

Mark

Hey Mark,

although I'm not in detail in the 911 engines I got some additional ideas:

for the distributor: I would not consider any because in the meantime I think its easier (and cheaper) to use a own injection system without distributor and 12 single throttles without MAF sensor - I got one of these for one of my 944 S2 engines preparing at the moment (I'm just coming from the 944/968 section)
for the power output at the end of the crankshaft: I would consider a connection part between 2 crankshafts produced as a gear with th original middle power output - the original one was designed this way due to the massive torque stress at the end of the crank - the 911 one wasn't ever constructed to deal with it! This will also give the opportunity to drive the fan what is saver than an electric one.

Basis for these ideas are a new housing that brings together the parts - what I worry about would be the chain housings that would make the engine longer than the 912 - for that problem it could be an idea to move the 2 chain housings from both engine ends to the middle where some space due to the crankshaft coupling could remain.

Another problem could be the clutch that cannot deal with the torque of 2 engines (and is to large in diameter) - but also therefore existing kit can be used by AP racing or others

Mark,
You can post your images in any size you want. The forum will automaticly reduce them for viewing. There will be a message on the top of the image that will say, "This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768." or what ever size you post it as. You can see it on my build log.
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/13742-drb-5-a-5.html
Here is one from Photobucket
P5210128.jpg

I transfer all of the pics I want to post to Photobucket in their full size. Once there, when I write my Reply, and I reach the point I want to insert the pic. I usually minimize the GT-40 web page, open a second browser window and go to Photobucket. I then find the pic I want to insert. By placing the mouse over the pic a window opens with all of the posting info available. You can get direct links to facebook, twitter etc., Email or IM link, Direct Link, HTML Code, and ING code. I have no idea what the last two do. For posting to the Reply Box, use the Direct link box and left click on it, it will be highlighted, right click it and copy it. Reopen the GT40s Reply box, pllace the cursor where you want it, click on the mountain top box at the top of the reply window and insert the Direct Link and press enter. Your pic will be posted right in the spot you want, and reduced for display. Hit the Preview Post button to see what it looks like. Make any adjustments you want , then Submit Rely. Anyone that wants the original size will click on it and it will be displayed in its full size, which will probably take up the entire window. They can then save it or do what ever they wish.

Bill

I haven't posted anything for a while. I got a little burned out when I was doing the animation that I posted on youtube.

Here is a view of the 12 Cyl SOHC engine based on the 911 heads and valvetrain. I haven't done much on it lately, but I'm going to get back into it now.

Mark

Attachments

• SOHC 12 CYL 640x480 101909.jpg
    SOHC 12 CYL 640x480 101909.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 847
Dear Burnt-out Mark:

You have done a marvelous work. Deep thanks to you from the bottom of my heart.

No one seems to have offered you any money for a large-resolution poster or image. I know no amount of money can recompense you for such a labor of love. What amount of money do you want for a 3000 by 5000 pixel (correct me, please, if that is the wrong ratio) of the 917's engine?

Thanks,

Les

Back