944 tran's gear lever & cables?

Hi, I'm doing a new build, & I know very little about Porsche/Audi transaxles, I will shortly be getting a 944 turbo LSD transaxle ( not seen it yet), it won't have any drive shafts or gear change cables/ shifter, can I use Audi parts or 924 Porsche stuff?
I realise that the box needs clutch fork & pilot bearing provisions.

thanks Tim

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Hi Tim,

Welcome aboard. The 944 box presents it's own challenges, and I'd strongly recommend you look over a previous string(s) discussing the specifics that you've mentioned. It is a very informative string detailing those modifications. You may change your mind (or maybe not).

Anyway, keep us informed on your build, and enjoy the company.

Terry thanks for your comments!, yes I have been useing the search option & have read up on the 944 tranny',I'll have another look, but from what I've read the main thing is the clutch fork & pilot bearing for the input shaft.Have I missed something? .
Don't have the budget for the good 911 box, & from what I've read the Audi TDI box is on its limit?.
The power unit is a 302 Ford, may be with mild boost ;0)

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
The 944 was my primary focus when I started my project. The thick adapter plate requirement (roughly about 38 mm) and a couple of other things pushed me into a search for a 930 box.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Tim,

You can use the CVs and Axles from a 924S - not sure if the 924 is the same.. I would have to believe that the shifters and related parts are the same between 924-924S-944.

You can use 924/924s/944 axles. The shift mech is the same an all of them as well.

The 944 transaxle does not have the provision for a clutch fork, slave cylinder or pilot bearing.

Thanks for the advise, I've seen a company in the Uk that uses a slip on pilot bearing end piece.It's used on Toyota tranny's mated to hot Jag engines, seems to work well.
Any one used any thing like this?

Back