997.2 bleeding

Hello everyone
Im having a very hard time bleeding slave cylinder. Anyone familiar with Porsche and have any ideas? Im stumped lol. Its a recirculating system, on slave top is supply bottom teturn and both go back to recirculator.
4A020FE4-8B27-4ED6-8AB1-95ED12D16064.jpeg
C3DD38E5-3019-4BC8-8738-F57C3199C521.jpeg

Is this transaxle flipped upside down? If so, you may need to fab a device to hold the piston from blowing out the end so you can hold the slave up side down (from current position, right side up like OEM install) so when you bleed the bubbles can escape.

If the slave is in OEM orientation, you may just have to make a mess and crack open the return at the recirc valve.

Where are you trying to bleed from now?

Is this transaxle flipped upside down? If so, you may need to fab a device to hold the piston from blowing out the end so you can hold the slave up side down (from current position, right side up like OEM install) so when you bleed the bubbles can escape.

If the slave is in OEM orientation, you may just have to make a mess and crack open the return at the recirc valve.

Where are you trying to bleed from now?
Yes it is flipped. Ive bled from both slave and recirc. Im not getting anymore bubbles but still not engaging. When i go to put car in gear it rolls but wont actually lock in.

I think you'll have to do a bit of fitting cracking. Maybe have someone half way push the pedal, then crack open the slave fluid in line at the slave and mash the pedal the rest of the way and quickly close.

The clutch will push fluid out the port (hopefully with the bubbles in the slave) and the pedal will push some down the line too.

Not sure of the interior architecture of the port location on the slave, but it's possible both ports are going to the bottom of the cylinder leaving air trapped in the top. If that's the case, you may have have to bleed with the slave removed and held right side up.

My Cobra slave is upside down, and I have to reverse bleed it.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Could you reverse bread it? push the fluid the opposite direction? Not sure if / where any one way valves may be.

Neil

Supporter
Because i have no other way to hook up return line
OK, now I see what Porsche did. I was not aware that Porsche had changed from a simple slave cylinder with a single line from its M/C to a complicated system that added a separate return line simply to eliminate a bleeder fitting. Sometimes Porsche does weird things

You're bleed is the rubber cap with the JQ I guess.

I bet the slave has to come off and be held up side down or at least back side up. But the danger is in blowing the piston out when you pump the pedal. If you do it very gently with the bleeder open the whole time, just some tire wire might get you there. Of not, bolt it to a board with a block of wood or angle iron clip. My bet is the slave is full of air and the return port is getting the fluid instead of the air.

Joe I also have a Porsche 997 transaxle with a Wilwood clutch setup. I created a fitting into the original trans hydraulic port and connected the hydraulic hose. I bled from the fitting (black cap) next to the hose on the transaxle. I never had an issue and works great. Hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_1274.jpeg
    IMG_1274.jpeg
    420.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1271.jpeg
    IMG_1271.jpeg
    460.8 KB · Views: 65
Joe I also have a Porsche 997 transaxle with a Wilwood clutch setup. I created a fitting into the original trans hydraulic port and connected the hydraulic hose. I bled from the fitting (black cap) next to the hose on the transaxle. I never had an issue and works great. Hope this helps
Thank you, appreciate pics.Looks like you have the 997.1, that only has a supply with bleeder.

I got it. As @Luce_ mentioned, i took slave out and bleed the correct orientation the put back in upside down. Once back together it was basically just bleed recirculator and all worked.

Back