A gentleman with a grasp of the problem.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Exactly. This is exactly what the Republicans refused to do with health care, and would have refused to do with a Boehner/Obama deficit deal.

When is the last time 1/3 of Republicans have joined with Democrats to pass any major domestic legislation? All votes have gotten so partisan, from Supreme Court justice nominations to Executive branch confirmations to budgets.

A classic example of the glass always being half empty, Al?

I like to think "It passed thanks to the 1/3 of the democrats that did vote for it....many thanks to them."

I mean, after all, it would not have passed had it not been for them.

It was certainly more than we could have expected from the Republicans, who were absolutely (with those few exceptions I mentioned in a previous post) voting as a block and were not at all willing to compromise.

I wonder what is going to happen when this "supercommittee" that is suppose to come up with the next round of budget cuts can't get the job done, legislative mandate be damned!

It will probably be gridlock, just as before.

Geez, now look who's looking at the glass as half-empty :shy: ...shame on me!

Cheers, Doug!

Pat

Supporter
Exactly. This is exactly what the Republicans refused to do with health care, and would have refused to do with a Boehner/Obama deficit deal.

QUOTE]

Jeff, where is the document summarizing the "deal"? I’ve previously quoted Mr. Boehner saying it never existed. Like Nancy Pelosi would have cut Medicare entitlements? Come on, the portrayal of the Republicans as the only hard liners is nonsense. Obama said he would veto anything that didn’t extend the deficit ceiling until after his election. He also said his health care bill was off the table. Pelosi adamantly refused to consider entitlement cuts. That’s why Mr. Obama went back to Boehner doubling the tax increases effectively ending the negotiation in a way to appease the left and try to shift blame.
As far as your lamenting bipartisanship on health care, maybe the Republicans didn't want to find out what was in the heal care bill until after they passed it. Just maybe they wanted to know beforehand. Anything that suggests that the Republicans were "allowed" to meaningfully participate in the Obamacare legislation is purely fiction. But there was bipartisan support of sorts on it yesterday.
"This economic mandate represents a wholly novel and potentially unbounded assertion of congressional authority: the ability to compel Americans to purchase an expensive health insurance product they have elected not to buy, and to make them repurchase that insurance product every month for their entire lives," the majority said in its 207-page opinion.
That opinion was jointly written by Judges Joel Dubina, who was appointed to the appeals court by Republican President George H.W. Bush, and by Frank Hull, who was appointed by President Bill Clinton, a Democrat.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
The portrayal of the Tea Zombies as anything other than unwilling to accept any tax increase even if that resulted in a US default is not nonsense, it's what happened - and Republicans like John McCain have confirmed that.

Ms. Pelosi would not accept a cut to Medicare and SS benefits? Have you been paying attention? The deal includes cuts to them...but....what is it missing? I don't know...oh wait! I got it...any new taxes.

You can spin this all you want but the bottom line is everyone -- the President, the Speaker, the IMF, the heads of European banks, S&P, Moody's, etc. -- wanted a deal about 3-4 dollars in cuts to every 1 new dollar in taxes. We got cuts. Tea Zombies win.

Let me educate you a bit on health care reform.

It's been proposed by nearly every President since Teddy Roosevelt, and has morphed over time. The idea of an insurance mandate, essentially what the Germans and Swiss use, apparently first popped up in the 70s under....Nixon. It was dismissed as too conservative.

It popped up again in 92-93 from.....Newt Gingrich. As an alternative to a national health care system as proposed by the Clinton Administration.

When President Obama first started working with the Republicans on "health care reform," the vision from the left was a system that had a robust public option for those who could not afford private insurance. The Republicans simply demanded nebulous "market reforms."

The Democrats moved to instead offer a mix of a private insurance mandate with a limited public option for the least well off. The Republicans simply demanded nebulous "market reforms."

Finally, the Democrats offered a version of the plan first proposed by Nixon and the Mr. Gingrich. The Republicans? They just continued to say "no."

So the Democrats passed the least palatable (to them), most compromised version of health care "reform" that has ever been put to paper in this country. And yes, the Republicans knew full well what was "in the bill" the unfortunate and stupid statement from Ms. Pelosi notwithstanding. Nice talking point for the uninformed to use, but just does show how uninformed they are when they use it.

QUOTE]

Jeff, where is the document summarizing the "deal"? I’ve previously quoted Mr. Boehner saying it never existed. Like Nancy Pelosi would have cut Medicare entitlements? Come on, the portrayal of the Republicans as the only hard liners is nonsense. Obama said he would veto anything that didn’t extend the deficit ceiling until after his election. He also said his health care bill was off the table. Pelosi adamantly refused to consider entitlement cuts. That’s why Mr. Obama went back to Boehner doubling the tax increases effectively ending the negotiation in a way to appease the left and try to shift blame.
As far as your lamenting bipartisanship on health care, maybe the Republicans didn't want to find out what was in the heal care bill until after they passed it. Just maybe they wanted to know beforehand. Anything that suggests that the Republicans were "allowed" to meaningfully participate in the Obamacare legislation is purely fiction. But there was bipartisan support of sorts on it yesterday.
"This economic mandate represents a wholly novel and potentially unbounded assertion of congressional authority: the ability to compel Americans to purchase an expensive health insurance product they have elected not to buy, and to make them repurchase that insurance product every month for their entire lives," the majority said in its 207-page opinion.
That opinion was jointly written by Judges Joel Dubina, who was appointed to the appeals court by Republican President George H.W. Bush, and by Frank Hull, who was appointed by President Bill Clinton, a Democrat.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
P.S. Everyone knew the 11th would kick out the mandate. The 4th probably will uphold it. Off it goes to the Supreme Court, where Kennedy will be the deciding vote. Will be interesting.

Al, here's the truth....and, I know this to be the truth because quite some many moons ago I was a tax planning attorney for high net worth individuals for Deloitte and Touche for a few years....so please bear with me.

Truth: the ultra-wealthy have much, much lower effective tax rates than Americans realize. Most of the ultra-wealthy have effective tax rates that are below 20%, some less than 10%. Most of the middle class have effective tax rates of between 25% and 28%.

So why is it that the ultra-wealthy pay a much lower effective tax rate than the middle class despite a progressive tax rate scheme? Because they employ guys just like me (back in the day) to engineer all kinds of tax minimization (avoidance) schemes, and these schemes are highly effective! In short, the system is broken...the ultra-wealthy should have higher effective tax rates than the middle class (that's the whole idea behind a progressive tax scheme) but they simply just don't.

What I'm saying is that the ultra-wealthy are not paying their share on a percentage basis. That is, in fact, one reason why they continue to get richer, and greater in number!

Good to hear your god son is doing well. If he makes a whole bunch of money someday then he should reasonably pay a s-load of tax. That's not a "penalty" that's just the way a normal progressive tax scheme works. It's simply a matter of paying for the privilege of living and working in a reasonably organized and free society that allows individuals to accumulate wealth through work and/or ingenuity.

I rest my case.

Buffett: Stop coddling the super-rich - Business - Personal finance - msnbc.com

OK Craig,

I have picked Obama to win the election, since you tell us that you are a great prognosticater, tell us who will win the next Presidential Election.

Now, do not prove that you are a troll by picking the other 200,000,000 elegable folks.
Jim..upon hearing the news that Rick Perry is running for president, I pick him to beat Obama..all he has to do is keep the conservative message alive and paint our economy on Obama's back..

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Domtoni,

A just out Gallup poll shows your Republican Congress with a 13% job approval rating.

This just shows who the people are blaming for this most recent problem.

After all the trouble caused by the Republican Congress, Obama has a 39% approval rating and Congress 13%.

Domtoni, tell us again about the next election.

Last edited:
Who cares about Congress' 13% rating, the last congress had a 25% rating. Pelosi was re-elected. They get elected for a two year term, and are elected by their district. It doesn't matter if I don't like Pelosi and you don't like Boehner. The top guy is the one to watch as he runs the country, has a great influence in the world and is there for 4 years.

Some call him the most powerful man on the planet.

This was conducted almost a year ago between Bush and Obama. BHO beats bush by 2%.
Poll: Obama, Bush nearly tied for voter approval - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jim..upon hearing the news that Rick Perry is running for president, I pick him to beat Obama..all he has to do is keep the conservative message alive and paint our economy on Obama's back..
By Craig

A panel of conservative pundits on Fox News savaged Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry Sunday after the candidate had a rough week.
The Texas governor followed a poor debate performance with a loss to Herman Cain in the Florida straw poll Saturday, a defeat made even worse by the fact that he had actively campaigned there.
“Perry really did throw up on himself in the debate at a time when he needed to raise his game,” Fox News’ Brit Hume told Chris Wallace. “Perry is about one half a step away from almost total collapse as a candidate.”

Craig,

It appears that even Fox news is now critisizing Mr Perry. I saw his melt down in the recent debates, he made BushII seem like a mental giant! What do you think?

Last edited:
Here is a bit more detail from Jim's chart above:
Bush vs. Obama: Unemployment (July 2011 Jobs Data) | Reflections of a Rational Republican

The article draws different conclusions.

Yeah sure, he's drawing his conclusions with a crayon. Did you read that last part where he compares the total jobs created over Bush's ENTIRE 2 terms with Obama's first year and half? What a jackass. If he made a direct, more useful comparison, Bush would have looked criminal.

Oh - then go back and look at the unemployment chart. He has the audacity to make the claim that unemployment is higher under Obama than Bush - like it's Obama's fault and failure as a president. Did he mention the fact that the meteoric rise in unemployment that Obama inherited was stopped and then started declining at the same rate that Bush oversaw? No, of course not.

My only point is that guy needs a lesson in numbers... And he claims to be a numbers capable guy. :laugh:

By Craig

A panel of conservative pundits on Fox News savaged Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry Sunday after the candidate had a rough week.
The Texas governor followed a poor debate performance with a loss to Herman Cain in the Florida straw poll Saturday, a defeat made even worse by the fact that he had actively campaigned there.
“Perry really did throw up on himself in the debate at a time when he needed to raise his game,” Fox News’ Brit Hume told Chris Wallace. “Perry is about one half a step away from almost total collapse as a candidate.”

Craig,

It appears that even Fox news is now critisizing Mr Perry. I saw his melt down in the recent debates, he made BushII seem like a mental giant! What do you think?
I dont really care what fox says.. but I do agree he looked weak as hell through the debates..to be honest I could care less who wins the nominee for my side...although Perry is weak I'm sure he would beat the weaker obama..again like I said before, as long as we have a candidate that is willing to tag, paint, Velcro, glue our current economy on our leaders back, we will most assuredly win the next election.

Yeah sure, he's drawing his conclusions with a crayon. Did you read that last part where he compares the total jobs created over Bush's ENTIRE 2 terms with Obama's first year and half? What a jackass. If he made a direct, more useful comparison, Bush would have looked criminal.

Oh - then go back and look at the unemployment chart. He has the audacity to make the claim that unemployment is higher under Obama than Bush - like it's Obama's fault and failure as a president. Did he mention the fact that the meteoric rise in unemployment that Obama inherited was stopped and then started declining at the same rate that Bush oversaw? No, of course not.

My only point is that guy needs a lesson in numbers... And he claims to be a numbers capable guy. :laugh:

My take is simple, and I have said this before and will repeat it now. Obama's private sector job shrinkage is due to him not putting any kind of jobs bill in place prior to this. Remember the stimulus was supposed to keep unemployment below 8%. Now a friend who worked for the Brookings Institute said the stimulus was too small. But all it would have done is what the proposed jobs bill pledges to do: put construction people, teachers, fire and police back to work. No private sector jobs. And no answer from Obama how to tackle the problem.

Back