A new car design! and......an old car design.

Molleur,

What were your thoughts on DDR? I don't see much about them on the web. Are they actually selling any cars?

John

I did a 3 view comparison of the 917 windscreen to my windscreen. It was about 2 inches shorter and about a foot longer in the long axis. What do people think about polycarbonate? (btw just using a generic name)

Hi Fred

Thanks for well wishes. I really enjoyed looking through your build diary. I'm sure I'll have many questions for you. Keep up the good work! What type of metal is your chassis constructed from? I thought about using 4130 but have decided to use 1020. I've read its not as brittle as chromemoly, easier to weld (ie it can be mig welded), and will actually last longer than a 4130 chassis. The NHRA says a roll cage made from 4130 must be recertified ever four years. The FF GTM uses 1020. Trying to figure out what they use over at Ultima. What do you think?

That puppy without a roof looks like an Alfa T33. Me likes Alfa T33s.

HHHhhhmmmmm? As he walks ever closer to his SLC with the cut off saw in hand.

Neat project perhaps since it is so close to a 917 WS perhaps you could redesign for it's use? Seems whole lot easier than making a one off glass...especially when it's time to buy another.

John
DDR has sold a couple of cars. Diego is putting a lot of effort into the V-8 version and the turbo 4cyl proto is still sitting there (after 2 years). IMO a LOT of development work is still needed. Basically, that's why I ended up with the SL-C.
Looked at DDR, GTM and a few others for a year before deciding. Send me a PM
and I'll fill you in with more detail.

Hi Fred

Thanks for well wishes. I really enjoyed looking through your build diary. I'm sure I'll have many questions for you. Keep up the good work! What type of metal is your chassis constructed from? I thought about using 4130 but have decided to use 1020. I've read its not as brittle as chromemoly, easier to weld (ie it can be mig welded), and will actually last longer than a 4130 chassis. The NHRA says a roll cage made from 4130 must be recertified ever four years. The FF GTM uses 1020. Trying to figure out what they use over at Ultima. What do you think?
1020 DOM tubing is cheaper but better, Not even close. 1020 does work for a street chassis. most all race chassis are chrome moly for a reason., it is about 4 times stronger and stiffer then 1020. properly made welds are much stronger and easier to do on chrome moly. the NHRA requires that all roll bars ( mild steel or chrome moly) be certified on 9.99 sec or faster then 135 mph cars every 3 years. mild steel bars are required to be thicker then the chrome moly ones because they are not as strong. try bending some tubing in a hand bender and you will get an appreciation for how much stiffer and strong the chrome moly really is

1020 DOM tubing is cheaper but better, Not even close. 1020 does work for a street chassis. most all race chassis are chrome moly for a reason., it is about 4 times stronger and stiffer then 1020. properly made welds are much stronger and easier to do on chrome moly. the NHRA requires that all roll bars ( mild steel or chrome moly) be certified on 9.99 sec or faster then 135 mph cars every 3 years. mild steel bars are required to be thicker then the chrome moly ones because they are not as strong. try bending some tubing in a hand bender and you will get an appreciation for how much stiffer and strong the chrome moly really is

I read in the metal fabricators handbook that 4130 is 25% stronger than 1020. 86,000 psi to 69,000 psi respectively and that its more likely to break than bend in a crash (ie it wont absorb the energy). How would you weld 4130?

That puppy without a roof looks like an Alfa T33. Me likes Alfa T33s.

HHHhhhmmmmm? As he walks ever closer to his SLC with the cut off saw in hand.

Neat project perhaps since it is so close to a 917 WS perhaps you could redesign for it's use? Seems whole lot easier than making a one off glass...especially when it's time to buy another.

Thanks! I like the Alfa T33 too, and I have compared the 917 windscreen to my own. It's an inch to short and over a foot longer. I might be able to cut down a windscreen, but its hard to say until a person actually got there hands on one. I'd like to avoid just using someone else's glass outright. I've found that when things gets out of place even by a few inches the result vastly affects the overall aesthetic. Also, when i look at cars that use someone else's glass outright, I usually see the other cars design. For example the Saker out of New Zealand. I look at that car and I see a Mclaren M6 coupe, as they use the same glass. Plexiglass has been used in aircraft and racecars for many years. Does anyone know why its not street legal?

Back