A very powerful piece of writing by Bryan Forbes

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
<TABLE style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; LINE-HEIGHT: 1.5em; WIDTH: 22em; FONT-SIZE: 88%" class="infobox biography vcard" cellSpacing=5><TBODY><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; FONT-SIZE: 125%; FONT-WEIGHT: bold" colSpan=2>The Baroness Uddin</TH></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Born</TH><TD>Manzila Pola Uddin
17 July 1959 (1959-07-17) (age 51)
Rajshahi, Bangladesh

</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Residence</TH><TD class=label>Wapping, East London</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Nationality</TH><TD class=category>British</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Known for</TH><TD>First Muslim woman in the House of Lords.
United Kingdom Parliamentary expenses scandal.
</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Political party</TH><TD class=org>Labour</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Religion</TH><TD class=category>Islam</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I thought I would highlight this tart. She has missapropriated £125,349 OF YOURS AND MY MONEY. Its time to start writing again. This time to the Met Police and start making complaints about her. Sooner or later we will get a review and hopefully charges against her. This campaighn seems to be working as Woolas got sacked , other MPs have gone on holiday at Her Majesty's holiday camps. We will never get all of them but they know who they are and increasinglly THEY KNOW WHO WE ARE. PLEASE PUT PEN TO PAPER. The MPs expenses saga started with just one complaint.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
R.I.P Sapper Jamie Larcombe killed yesterday in a firefight with the Taliban.

Her hair was up in a pony tail,
Her favourite dress tied with a bow.
Today was Daddy's Day at school,
And she couldn't wait to go.

But her mummy tried to tell her,
That she probably should stay home.
Why the kids might not understand,
If she went to school alone.

But she was not afraid;
She knew just what to say.
What to tell her classmates
Of why he wasn't there today.

But still her mother worried,
For her to face this day alone.
And that was why once again,
She tried to keep her daughter home.

But the little girl went to school
Eager to tell them all.
About a dad she never sees
A dad who never calls.

There were daddies along the wall in back,
For everyone to meet..
Children squirming impatiently,
Anxious in their seats

One by one the teacher called
A student from the class.
To introduce their daddy,
As seconds slowly passed.

At last the teacher called her name,
Every child turned to stare.
Each of them was searching,
A man who wasn't there.

'Where's her daddy at?'
She heard a boy call out.
'She probably doesn't have one,'
Another student dared to shout.

And from somewhere near the back,
She heard a daddy say,
'Looks like another deadbeat dad,
Too busy to waste his day.'

The words did not offend her,
As she smiled up at her mum.
And looked back at her teacher,
Who told her to go on.

And with hands behind her back,
Slowly she began to speak.
And out from the mouth of a child,
Came words incredibly unique.

'My daddy couldn't be here,
Because he lives so far away.
But I know he wishes he could be,
Since this is such a special day.

And though you cannot meet him,
I wanted you to know.
All about my daddy,
And how much he loves me so.

He loved to tell me stories
He taught me to ride my bike.
He surprised me with pink roses,
And taught me to fly a kite.

We used to share fudge sundaes,
And ice cream in a cone.
And though you cannot see him.
I'm not standing here alone.

'Cause my daddy's always with me,
Even though we are apart
I know because he told me,
He'll forever be in my heart'

With that, her little hand reached up,
And lay across her chest.
Feeling her own heartbeat,
Beneath her favourite dress.

And from somewhere here in the crowd of dads,
Her mother stood in tears.
Proudly watching her daughter,
Who was wise beyond her years.

For she stood up for the love
Of a man not in her life.
Doing what was best for her,
Doing what was right.

And when she dropped her hand back down,
Staring straight into the crowd.
She finished with a voice so soft,
But its message clear and loud.

'I love my daddy very much,
he's my shining star.
And if he could, he'd be here,
But heaven's just too far.

You see he is an Aussie soldier
And died just this past year
When a roadside bomb hit his convoy
And taught Australians to fear.

But sometimes when I close my eyes,
it's like he never went away.'
And then she closed her eyes,
And saw him there that day.

And to her mother's amazement,
She witnessed with surprise.
A room full of daddies and children,
All starting to close their eyes.

Who knows what they saw before them,
Who knows what they felt inside.
Perhaps for merely a second,
They saw him at her side.

'I know you're with me, Daddy,'
To the silence she called out.
And what happened next made believers
Of those once filled with doubt.

Not one in that room could explain it,
For each of their eyes had been closed.
But there on the desk beside her,
Was a fragrant long-stemmed rose.

And a child was blessed, if only for a moment,
By the love of her shining star.
And given the gift of believing,
That heaven is never too far.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
iCasualties | Operation Enduring Freedom | Afghanistan
Think of it this way - That is six full passenger loads on a Jumbo Jet.

A British soldier has been killed in Afghanistan

A British soldier has died in southern Afghanistan after his vehicle hit a makeshift bomb.
The Ministry of Defence said the soldier, from 1st Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment, was on an operation to disrupt insurgent activity in the Nad-e Ali district of Helmand province when he was caught in a blast from an improvised explosive device. Next of kin have been informed.
Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Lieutenant Colonel David Eastman, said: "The soldier gave his life pursuing peace and stability for a people that had been dominated by insurgent subjugation, threats and intimidation."
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter RSS
The death comes after it emerged British Special Forces seized a shipment of Iranian arms intended for the Taliban.
Foreign Secretary William Hague condemned Tehran's "completely unacceptable" behaviour following the seizure of 48 122mm rockets, which can be fired up to about 13 miles.
British Special Forces and Afghan troops discovered the weapons after a heavy firefight in which a number of insurgents were killed or captured, a source said. UK officials say detailed technical analysis has showed that the rockets, which have twice the range of the weapons currently available to the insurgents, were supplied by Iran.
The three-truck arms convoy was halted in Nimruz province in southern Afghanistan, which borders Iran, on February 5. The drivers resisted arrest and were killed, an intelligence official said.
Mr Hague said: "This is completely unacceptable. It is not the behaviour of a responsible neighbour. It is at odds with Iran's claim to the international community and to its own people that it supports stability and security in Afghanistan."
Defence Secretary Dr Liam Fox said: "This confirms my often repeated view of the dangers that Iran poses not only through its nuclear programme but its continuing policy of destabilising its neighbours. Supplying weapons to help the Taliban kill Isaf soldiers is a clear example of the threat they pose."
Mark Sedwill, Nato senior civilian representative to Afghanistan, said the rockets represented a "step-change in the lethal impact of weaponry infiltrating Afghanistan from Iran".

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Our Ministry of War (M.O.D.) will stop repatriating soldiers remains via R.A.F. Lyneham because it's a base scheduled for imminent closure.
It will be done via R.A.F. Brize Norton instead, which is also the main trooping centre for the British Forces.
This will also have the effect of stopping the hearses (funeral cars) from driving through the village of Wooton Basset. As a tribute to that Village and all that it has become to symbolize in the outpouring of grief, it has been granted Royal Status and will now become known as Royal Wooton Basset. Very fitting and well done to the people of the former Wooton Basset. It has a nice ring to it and if other towns granted the same status are anything to go by , then the inhabitants of Royal Wooton Basset are in for some nice benefits.

Last edited:
Our Ministry of War (M.O.D.) will stop repatriating soldiers remains via R.A.F. Lyneham because it's a base scheduled for imminent closure.
It will be done via R.A.F. Brize Norton instead, which is also the main trooping centre for the British Forces.
This will also have the effect of stopping the hearses (funeral cars) from driving through the village of Wooton Basset. As a tribute to that Village and all that it has become to symbolize in the outpouring of grief, it has been granted Royal Status and will now become known as Royal Wooton Basset. Very fitting and well done to the people of the former Wooton Basset. It has a nice ring to it and if other towns granted the same status are anything to go by , then the inhabitants of Royal Wooton Basset are in for some nice benefits.

David,

I live 5 mins from Bassett (or Royal Wootton Bassett as it is now). I am so pleased for the town. Also it shows some respect to our forces by taking this action.

Good on them!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Oh to be twenty or thirty years younger and still on a Squadron in the R.A.F. now we have the green light to stop Gadaffi. I almost still have a score to settle as I was on the squadron (203 Nimrod) in 1970 when Mintoff (PM of Malta) and Gadaffi started their antics over the Christmas period 1970. I ended up living out of a kit bag for 6 months, lost my 13ft Dell Quay Dory and outboard engine, my car was semi trashed before being shipped back to the UK, my diving kit was stolen, and I abandoned my room in the mess at R.A.F. Luqa to it's fate. Libyan (special?) forces arrived in two transport aeroplanes just after we departed to Cyprus on New Years Eve but were met by 42 Marine and invited to get back in their aeroplanes and Fox Oscar. (disappear?)
It became the worst six months I have ever endured and Gadaffi set up a boundary, south of which he would shoot us down. Apparently there was a skirmish with the 6th fleet and the Libyan Migs.
Gadaffi? He's history I hope.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

Private Daniel Steven Prior died in hospital in Birmingham after being wounded in an explosion in Afghanistan

A new father wounded in Afghanistan has died at the same age as the uncle he was named in memory of, who was killed in the Falklands War.
Private Daniel Steven Prior, of 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment, was born the year after the death of Steve Prior, who lost his life trying to save the life of a colleague.
The 27-year-old had only returned to Afghanistan a fortnight ago, having flown home to the UK to be with wife Emily as she gave birth to their son Logan, who is now three weeks old.
Pte Prior was fatally wounded by an improvised explosive device (IED) while on patrol in the Nahr-e Saraj District of Helmand Province last week and was treated at a military hospital in Camp Bastion before being flown back to Britain. He died at the Queen Elizabeth NHS Hospital in Birmingham on Friday with his family by his side.
His parents Ian and Gillian made a joint statement with Pte Prior's wife and newborn son, saying: "Dan was a lively young man with an amazing sense of humour. He was a wonderful son, husband and father. We are all tremendously proud of him and he will be sorely missed by his family and friends."
Pte Prior, who was from Peacehaven, East Sussex, lived in Colchester, Essex, with his wife. He had been singled out for training as a non-commissioned officer and was described by colleagues as the best soldier in his company.
Lieutenant Colonel Andrew Harrison, Commanding Officer, 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment, said it was the "smallest consolation" that Pte Prior had lived to see the birth of his son. He said: "Private Dan Prior died surrounded by his family in England. Two days before, he had been mortally wounded, 4,000 miles away, whist patrolling to bring lasting peace to the village of Char Coucha in Helmand Province.
"The village has recently made headlines for its remarkable return from Taliban devastation. Private Prior was one of those incredibly brave young soldiers who made that happen.
"This bright, inspiring and able paratrooper knew the risks of war more than almost anyone - his uncle died the year before Dan was born fighting for this great battalion at the battle of Goose Green in the Falklands conflict. Dan had accompanied his family to receive the Elizabeth Cross in his memory only last year.
"On the anniversary of the battle last May, he sat with me to honour his uncle. They both fell aged only 27. Twice in two years his family will receive an Elizabeth Cross. For a second time the Prior name will be carved into the Battalion's memorial."

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

It just keeps on happening:

Two UK soldiers die in Afghan blast

<ABBR class="published updated" title="24 March 2011">24 March 2011</ABBR>

Search: British soldiers deaths Helmand

Two British soldiers died in an explosion in Afghanistan six days before they were due to return home

Two British soldiers have been killed in an explosion in Afghanistan six days before they were due to return home to the UK.
The Ministry of Defence said the soldiers, from 1st Battalion Irish Guards, were killed on Wednesday when their vehicle was caught in a blast from an IED (improvised explosive device) in the Nahr-e Saraj district of Helmand province.
The soldiers were killed returning from an operation where they had been searching compounds alongside troops from the Afghan National Army and C Company of the Danish Battle Group.
Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Lieutenant Colonel Tim Purbrick, said: "It is with very great sadness that I have to inform you of the deaths of two soldiers from 1st Battalion Irish Guards.
"The soldiers had been conducting a partnered operation with the Afghan National Army and the Danish Battle Group during which they had successfully disrupted insurgent activity and searched a number of compounds in the Nahr-e Saraj district of central Helmand.
"On completion of the operation their patrol had just left an Isaf base in order to return to their own camp - to commence their handover to the next unit before they were due to return home in six days - when the vehicle in which the two soldiers were travelling was struck by an improvised explosive device.
"Both men were recovered to an Isaf base, however, tragically, both had lost their lives. Our thoughts and prayers are with their families and friends."
Next of kin have been informed.
The deaths bring the total number of UK military personnel to have died since operations in Afghanistan began in 2001 to 362.
Earlier this week it was announced that Afghan forces are to take control of security in Lashkar Gah in July in a major step towards the withdrawal of British troops from the country.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Wow - £345,000 .........

Ex-MEP must repay £345,000 expenses.

Search: Den Dover expenses European Court

Former Tory MEP Den Dover has been ordered by the European Court of Justice to repay 345,289 pounds in 'unjustified' claims

Former Tory MEP Den Dover, who was expelled from the Conservative Party over allegations of expenses misconduct, has been ordered by the European Court of Justice to repay £345,289 in "unjustified" claims.
Mr Dover, 72, an MEP for the North West England region from 1999 to 2009, was suspended and then expelled from the party in November 2008 for "gross misconduct" after the Parliament demanded repayment of £538,000 in allowances officials said should not have been claimed.
He stood down at the 2009 European elections and launched an appeal in the European Court against the decision by European Parliament administrators to seek the return of the cash.
The Luxembourg judges found that he should pay back part of the amount - but said the European Parliament had not sufficiently demonstrated that the rest was unjustified.
The MEP has denied any wrongdoing over expenses he claimed between 1999 and 2008, when a total of £959,446 went to a company called MP Holdings Ltd, which names Mr Dover's wife and daughter as directors.
The money came from allowances MEPs receive to pay the salaries and costs of an MEP's staff.
In 2008 the Parliament's secretary-general raised questions about a possible conflict of interest and asked for full details of the use of parliamentary funds claimed by Mr Dover.
A ruling followed that only £421,156 could be justified in salaries, national insurance and legitimate staff travel expenses. The rest was "without justification" said the Parliament, and it asked for the balance of £538,290 back.
Mr Dover told the court it was up to the Parliament to prove that the payments were unjustified, pointing out in court submissions that "the requirement to provide documentation justifying each item of expenditure since 1999 did not exist when the relevant expenses were incurred".
He said the European Parliament was aware that his wife and daughter held managerial positions in MP Holdings, and claimed that it has never "implemented a transparent system setting out clear preconditions for reimbursement of parliamentary assistance expenditure or required Members to produce documentary evidence of their parliamentary assistance expenditure".

It just keeps on happening:

Two UK soldiers die in Afghan blast

Search: British soldiers deaths Helmand

Two British soldiers died in an explosion in Afghanistan six days before they were due to return home

Two British soldiers have been killed in an explosion in Afghanistan six days before they were due to return home to the UK.
The Ministry of Defence said the soldiers, from 1st Battalion Irish Guards, were killed on Wednesday when their vehicle was caught in a blast from an IED (improvised explosive device) in the Nahr-e Saraj district of Helmand province.
The soldiers were killed returning from an operation where they had been searching compounds alongside troops from the Afghan National Army and C Company of the Danish Battle Group.
Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Lieutenant Colonel Tim Purbrick, said: "It is with very great sadness that I have to inform you of the deaths of two soldiers from 1st Battalion Irish Guards.
"The soldiers had been conducting a partnered operation with the Afghan National Army and the Danish Battle Group during which they had successfully disrupted insurgent activity and searched a number of compounds in the Nahr-e Saraj district of central Helmand.
"On completion of the operation their patrol had just left an Isaf base in order to return to their own camp - to commence their handover to the next unit before they were due to return home in six days - when the vehicle in which the two soldiers were travelling was struck by an improvised explosive device.
"Both men were recovered to an Isaf base, however, tragically, both had lost their lives. Our thoughts and prayers are with their families and friends."
Next of kin have been informed.
The deaths bring the total number of UK military personnel to have died since operations in Afghanistan began in 2001 to 362.
Earlier this week it was announced that Afghan forces are to take control of security in Lashkar Gah in July in a major step towards the withdrawal of British troops from the country.

Absolutely gutted to hear of this...

Why are we in a "war" that we can never win?

:(

Foreign Secretary William Hague spent £275,000 on flights on a trip to North Africa and the Middle East in February, according to a report in the Daily Mirror today.

As people across Britain are preparing themselves for the consequences of savage public sector cuts, the minister paid £113,000 for a private jet and a further £162,000 for an RAF plane, to fly him between Tunisia, Jordan, Yemen, Abu Dhabi and Bahrain, says the report.

The spending spree was uncovered by Lord Sugar, using freedom of information laws, after he spotted Mr Hague being interviewed on a private jet.

Acknowledging that ministers have a job to do, Lord Sugar pointed out, however, that all the destinations on the trip were accessible using commercial flights. And the report claims that such flights would have cost the taxpayer just £5,000.

The Foreign Office, defending Mr Hague's travel expenses, was quoted in the Daily Mirror, saying, 'We avoid using charter flights wherever possible.'

Keith

For Christ's sake guys, get a grip of yourselves. We elect these people to govern so let them. In the scheme of things going on in the world a couple of hundred thousand here or there is totally irrelevant. Nick, I love you man, but please don't get caught up with the trivia. The stakes are far too high.

Lord Sugar, yes. He wasn't always succesful either and he is a media whore - he is not elected and so he has no say beyond his own personal agenda.

Given an amount of time and consistency any Government policy can possibly work but if constant badgering and nitpicking from the media and the chattering classes distract elected representatives from fulfilling their promises however "peacefully" then, we ain't got a democracy.

Ergo, you elect a Government - either let them govern or plan your next move. Better still stand for Parliament yourself if you have the courage and committment - then you will have a voice that matters.

Keith,

Great to have you back.

Very valid point, was having a bad day did something really stupid on the car and took it out on Mr Haugue.

Perhaps I'm getting old, I did get myself elected many years ago albeit in local politics at a time when many people didn't actually take any money for doing it.

I realise being an MP for many would be an impossible job without the ability to claim expenses, and suspect in the same position I might very well have grabbed all I could.

Still think they should be reminded now and again they are in a very privileged position at a time when many others are having a very difficult time, and when ever possible they need to watch the pennies.

Keith,

Good to see you back mate.

I actually agree with both of you. Hague needs to look "The Business" when dealing with Cripplingly Rich oil men who think nothing of buying a 747 for their own personal use, so to turn up in an economy seat from a BA flight really wouldn't look right...

On the other hand, the scum who have blagged too much money on expenses et al need to be brought to book, if only to serve as a reminder to those following on after them.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
What a wonderful moment in time. It would be one of lifes amazing moments to see his face as he lost and was taken down. Thanks Ian.

Back