Active Power - New Owner?

PaulProe

Supporter
I spoke to Chris Ardern's son today, calling to get info on cars. He told me they sold the company in April to a gentleman in Minnesota named Todd.

I saw the site had been relabeled to an address in Minnesota. Did a little Google searching and the address comes up to a gentleman named Todd Bolzer

Does anyone know anything about this? Tried calling the phone number but it went to voicemail. Left a message but no call back

Paul

Hi Paul,
I’m in the research/planning stages and considering AP, and have been in contact .
Would enjoy comparing notes - - -Please check your pm’s.

Ray

I’m also considering Active Power. The site still has Ohio listed in some places, although the contact information is updated. I’m guessing everything has been moved to Minnesota?
I plan on calling next week, would love to get some feedback from others.

I took delivery in March of my roller. I went with AP because I plan to track it some, and if something happens at the track (or on the street) I could fix the frame myself, and pick up new control arms and suspension off the shelf. My body has been challenging, but nothing I can't handle. I think if quality control was a little tighter as the body parts were pulled out of the molds and put together, there would be less work on my end.

Same reason I went with AP, proven off the shelf suspension not having to worry about replacement parts years later. Build is pretty straightforward and customization is possible.

specifically what issues did you guys have with the body? I saw a thread where someone was having a problem with the vent in the hood, but it wasn’t clear to me if it was modified to hold a larger radiator.

The body “problems” are similar to most other bodies that are available. If you want great even gaps, you’ll have to work for them. My single-opening hood was terrible as delivered. I tried heat, clamps, weights,etc to try to get the fiberglass to move to where I wanted it. I decided to cut it up and will epoxy it back together after it is fit. I had to cut the slope anyway, since I wanted it to go all the way to the bottom of the rad. It’s next on the list. This is a common thing across most manufacturers as well.

I took delivery in March of my roller. I went with AP because I plan to track it some, and if something happens at the track (or on the street) I could fix the frame myself, and pick up new control arms and suspension off the shelf. My body has been challenging, but nothing I can't handle. I think if quality control was a little tighter as the body parts were pulled out of the molds and put together, there would be less work on my end.
If you don’t mind me asking.How was the process with the new owner? How long did it take to take delivery? About the panel gaps, one Can say that uneven panel gaps are more historically “correct” :p

I had heard that the new owners were going to tweak the chassis a little.
This is my 3rd car project, with my previous builds being frame-off street/track builds (1969 Firebird and a 1966 Mustang FB). I was so frustrated with this thing a few months ago that I actually put it up for sale! A cooler head prevailed and the project is moving forward nicely, but it isn't for the faint of heart...or those that lack talent and trouble solving skill!

I had heard that the new owners were going to tweak the chassis a little.
This is my 3rd car project, with my previous builds being frame-off street/track builds (1969 Firebird and a 1966 Mustang FB). I was so frustrated with this thing a few months ago that I actually put it up for sale! A cooler head prevailed and the project is moving forward nicely, but it isn't for the faint of heart...or those that lack talent and trouble solving skill!
I think I’m good a fiddling with things, my fear is that I would end up spending ages trying to make the car look perfect. Maybe the best approach is to get the car functioning and then little by little perfect it. So far what I have seen from other builders is that these cars are never done, haha. I’ll like to build it before my old man leaves this earth; he is a pro at working with cars, but also great getting arguments started! So it would be a fun project.

Back