Allen English RCR40 Turn Key Build

could a compromise be possible? There are usually various activities that one partner does on their own, quilting, cat shows, whatever, no matter how "together" they are.

One major reason my hobby is alive is because we went into together. We are both invested in the journey and for now the only compromise that is working is that I keep it local and she follows me in her car. So this is our hobby.
By Randy

With the windows out and the roof off, it would be about as open as your Cobra was and Liz got along with that alright didn't she?

Yes she was alright with the roadster, but I can't see myself changing the car. It's perfect the way it is.

As has been said the economy is bad, but I think for the right person the car will still sell. No real hurry, it's paid for and I'm not broke. If I still have the car next summer you can bet I will try and get the wife back in it. Maybe we will keep trying to get her used to just sitting in a parked car and work our way up to a drive. Time will tell.

Thanks

I really hate to sell her after a little over two years of waiting to get to this point, but if I can't travel in it with my wife the car has to go.
That sure wasn't the way it played out for me! One had to go, but I'm glad you feel that way,Allen, and hope everything works out. I trust you won't abandon the forum. Throw us a video now and then, would you?

Allen, has she and you tried driving with the windows off the car? I installed helicoils in the body of mine so I can take all the plexi pieces on and off easily. I can see where someone could feel like they were limited on breathing air in a GT. I enjoy them off for a more open air feel sometimes.

May as well get rid of it now . The wife I mean. If you put in this much effort and there is no compromise on her part it will only get worse. Before you assume I am a bitter divorced man , you would be wrong. You dont have to like all the same things and if you find a woman who does you should run. ( Because she is lying).

May as well get rid of it now . The wife I mean. If you put in this much effort and there is no compromise on her part it will only get worse. Before you assume I am a bitter divorced man , you would be wrong. You dont have to like all the same things and if you find a woman who does you should run. ( Because she is lying).

Thats oretty harsh. I think he expressed pretty well this was a hobby both enjoyed but this particular car was not one she was comfortable in once they got it home. If anything it may have been wise to spend more time around a few before comiting to building one but I think they havew their priorties as a couple pretty straight. Just my two lincolns

After putting all that time and hard work into your beautiful car all I can say is that your a stand up guy for making this decision. I am semi-retired and also enjoy doing things with the wife. I will begin my build in a couple of years and I just hope my wife will enjoy it as much as I do. I am lucky because she is really into old muscle cars.

Thats oretty harsh. I think he expressed pretty well this was a hobby both enjoyed but this particular car was not one she was comfortable in once they got it home. If anything it may have been wise to spend more time around a few before comiting to building one but I think they havew their priorties as a couple pretty straight. Just my two lincolns

I agree Tim... Egoman, not sure you have ever met Allen or his wife but I would be cautious about throwing around those types of comments (I hope you were kidding and left off the ;) ). Allen went for a dream and it does not appear that dream worked well for his wife, relationships are a compromise.

I agree Tim... Egoman, not sure you have ever met Allen or his wife but I would be cautious about throwing around those types of comments (I hope you were kidding and left off the ;) ). Allen went for a dream and it does not appear that dream worked well for his wife, relationships are a compromise.
I am not kidding and I didnt leave out a smiley face. I have watched a lot of friends in the last few years have their dreams die just before the wives walked out. I also stand by the statement that the wife doesnt have to like the same people or hobbies as you.
My sarcasm when used is quite noticeable, it wasnt used this time.
By the way didnt you say relationships are a compromise, that doesnt allways mean one allways compromises.Dreams dont need to allways be understood but they dont need to be dashed on the rocks either.
I said what I meant, Ill speak no further.

I have been married and divorced before and do know a good woman when I find one. My first wife was controlling and alot as EGOMAN explained and I left her. That was the best thing I ever did, because I found a woman after that, that loves cars and traveling like I do. My current wife and I enjoy the hobby and we have other things we do separately to still keep balance to our relationship and this works.

By Alex,
wana trade it for my h/c/i/e/t z06? it's a fair trade, honest :)

Hi Alex, Funny you should say that. I am a GM parts manager at a Chevrolet dealership and walk past Corvette's every day. I guess after walking past them for 23 years they don't seem so unique any more. I am thinking about getting a 2011 Camaro and tricking it out. The Grand Sport Corvettes do look great and I could get one at employee cost if I wanted.

Hi Alex, Funny you should say that. I am a GM parts manager at a Chevrolet dealership and walk past Corvette's every day. I guess after walking past them for 23 years they don't seem so unique any more. I am thinking about getting a 2011 Camaro and tricking it out. The Grand Sport Corvettes do look great and I could get one at employee cost if I wanted.

How about a ported/pullied/blahblah 04 cobra 'vert. Or a viper. I can offer many possible trades, all fair, honest :D

Your car turned out fantastic, Allen. Considering your FFR build, I would have expected nothing less. All the best with the future of the car... Your wisdom is trumping emotion and that's a great thing!

- Allen.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Allen

Before you sell the car.
Get some white masking tape or similar and cover the dark paint on the doors, door jams etc Perhaps even the inside of the doors (if they too are painted dark.

Then ask your wife to try the car.

Reason I suggest this is the first few GT40's I sat in I felt very chlostrophobic in and felt the doors were closing in on me. They were all painted dark colours / black.

On mine I left the interior fiberglass white (other than the door cards covered in black leather and the black carpets and it feels amazingly spacious in comparison.

If she can handle the car / not feel too bad with the doors closed ot may be worth while having the doors painted white / light and make the car a "keeper"

Cheers
Ian

I have a Cobra and a GT40 and there is no comparison bewteen them...I love the freedom feeling the Cobra provides.....like riding a motor cycle . My Wife Loves the Cobra and wants a ride every chance she gets. When I meet up with other Cobra Guys their Wifes or Partners are usually with them having a great time.

The 40 has a closed in race car feel..no air and heat build up. They are a bugger to get in and out of, where the Cobra you can just get in no dramas. The 40 is a great car to look at but they are not passenger freindly and I can see why they don't appeal to women. My Wife has never said I want to go in the 40.

The simple answer is to keep the 40 for yourself and get another Cobra for family outings.....That's what I did.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Allen, keep the good woman.........they are hard to come by. Cars are toys, wives are life. Find another toy you can both enjoy together.

Ego... I'm not kidding either. It's not cool to inject yourself into another mans relationship with his wife. Just not cool.............

Back