And so it begins - Changes to 2161

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Re: And so it begins

Nord-Locks a little pricey but work

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwmuZuJ02I]Nord-Lock Demonstration Video - YouTube[/ame]

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter

Mike:

The headers look great, but I hope your black ceramic coating lasts longer than mine has. Mine looks pretty bad after three years. In the next few months I'm going to have mine redone in silver. I don't know if my problems with the black coating are related to the way it was applied, or if the heat was just too much.

Dave

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

The guys at Luftkraft highly recommended this Techline product over any of the silver finishes. The silver is aluminum that oxidizes pretty quickly and gets chalky looking. This stuff is rated to 2000 degrees and recommended for turbo housings. I also flow coated the inner walls with the Techline MCS product. Their experience was that this was much more durable and resistant to discoloration as well as being much more effective as a thermal barrier when used with the interior flow coat. We shall see.

Those Nord Locks look interesting.

I'd like to see more data on their test methods like what vibration frequency and G force was used. The test fixture almost looked like it was attached to a power drill.

I do vibration testing at my job. We run random (varying) vibration tests at 6 g's and 3KHZ for 10 minutes per axis. Each item is tested in all three axis using the same force and frequency. In the ten years I've been testing I have yet to see a properly tightened fastener come loose as fast as theirs did. The items I test have over a hundred fasteners of varying sizes and use everything from split lock washers to Loctite to secure them. Even my test fixtures that are bolted to the vibration table and subjected to thousands of test cycles are only held by 15 lbft of torque. I periodically check them but have not found one to be as loose as those in the video.

Not knocking the product, just want to see more test data.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

Are you suggesting the video may have been rigged to unfairly disparage the regular fasteners? I find that hard to believe in today's day and age :D

Well....not exactly. LOL
But I have run into manufacturers that skew the data in their favor.

I see how the device works and believe it does work as advertised.
I just haven't seen nuts/bolts come loose so fast.

Back