Announcing Audi 016 with custom 3.17 R&P

Jim Dewar

Supporter
Re: Announcing Audi 016 with custom 3.17 R&P

German Transaxles rebuilt my box 2 years and 12,5k miles ago (quailfe limited slip and 3.17rp). The ratios are perfect for my needs and the trans. has been flawless. I believe the cost was approx. $4k.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter

I have about 2200 miles on my 016 box and it's held up well. The ratios are perfect for a street car. If you are looking for a budget oriented box this comes highly recommended.

Chuck

Supporter

Neal:

I also have the O16 AAZ box. Did you use the 3.22/1 R & P modification?

Neal

Lifetime Supporter

I purchased the first prototype gearbox that MitchD had made. It was based on a 5N. I started driving my car with a stock 5N. The gear spacing is poor in stock form. This modification is a good investment if you are on a budget.

Charlie M

Supporter

I emailed German Transaxles asking if they still offered the 3.22 R&P. They told me they ordered them 3 years ago and were selling them for $1695/set. They don't have any in stock and have to order them in lots of 10 to offer them at that price.

Since the $1695 price is 3 years old, I asked them for a current price. I'll let you know when I get a response. Is there enough interest here for 10 sets in that price range?

Charlie

Chuck

Supporter

$1695 would be a very good price. The trick is getting ten orders. And also ask about the fabrication time - likely many months.

Ron Earp

Admin

Since the $1695 price is 3 years old, I asked them for a current price. I'll let you know when I get a response. Is there enough interest here for 10 sets in that price range?

Charlie

Tell them if they did a bit of advertising on GT40s.com, or offered a group buy to the forum, they'd probably sell a lot more! :idea:

Scott you are saying that a rebuilt un 1 from tornado is 63 percent less than $1695.00

Do they have an LSD? What does the bell housing and throw out bearing assembly cost? Gear Ratios? How much horse pressure?

Really?

Thats over 63% of the retail cost of a complete rebuilt UN1 from TSC!

I have yet to understand the fascination with the 016. They have marginal torque capability, syncros break when slammed into gear, many hard parts are discontinued, and you have to buy a $2,000 ring and pinion to have a useful first gear.

I feel cost and availability in the States is the attraction for some.
I paid $325.00 for a 5N. Now the adapter and clutch will run $1000.00
But it is really cheap compared to the $11,000 I was quoted for a used helwand. The draw backs may be many but cost is always a main factor with budget builders.

Chuck

Supporter

Scott: My observation that $1695 for the 016 R and P would be a bargain was based only upon two current quotes of approximately $2200 obtained from two different suppliers. Compared to those quotes $1695 would be a bargain. That is all I meant.
Really?

Thats over 63% of the retail cost of a complete rebuilt UN1 from TSC!

Back