Anodized Chassis

Steel rusts, carbon delams and splinters , aluminum corrodes...just as well everything on the planet fails ...at least its a level playing field..:thumbsup:

Yes; there has been nothing invented yet that I could not bend, break or distroy.

And BTW nothing I have said here has been a condemnation of your chassis, I still say it looks like the best one out there in it's class and almost every other!

If we're going there, why not just build a carbon fibre/honey comb chassis like the Tornado GT40? :p

I was just goin with what I know. At work we make several things out of laser welded Ti, built to withstand chemical and autoclave sterilization.

Should work for a car, right?

Aluminum will oxidize faster than you realze. Give it some time outside then try wiping it with a white cloth. Leave it long enough and it becomes chaulky and un weldable. last week I brought in my not-so-old aluminum ladder to do some painting and I couldn't figure out why my hands were so black.
Powdercoat works well but the substrate must be etched ether with chemicals or by sanding before hand. I can't imagine putting so much effort into a build then leaving that beautiful aluminum unprotected!
Allan

There are quite a few aluminum chassied RCR cars out in the field now ,some seven or more years old....I have yet to hear of any issues , as with anyones pride and joy , I would hope they get better treated than a ladder left outside all year round....so the corrosion issue is potentially a moot point in all reality...

As I think I mentioned previously there are masses of aluminum boats left in salt water environments that get used and abused in the field daily without falling apart too awful fast...although YRMV..

I confess I don't treat my ladders very well but having worked with aluminum for many years I have seen it degrade over time. T6 holds up pretty good but diamond plate looks like crap in no time. We do not keep too much of it in stock for that very reason.
Allan

As I think I mentioned previously there are masses of aluminum boats left in salt water environments that get used and abused in the field daily without falling apart too awful fast...although YRMV..

Just don't drop a penny in the bilge......wink

Phew that was close........its always a close call when I am hanging out in the pond in my aluminum boat, that the Copper Sulphate is in danger of being dropped in ....

....or your grenade.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgKzOClbW2M]Grenade Fishing Gone Wrong EPIC FAIL - YouTube[/ame]

Since we seem to discuss if the chassis will rust and fall apart at least once a year, for a change of pace next year can we discuss if the aluminum chassis will give us Alzheimers?

perhaps one of these should be provided with each kit :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Sacrificial Anode.jpg
    Sacrificial Anode.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 359

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Looks more like the keel and rudder of a boat to me. Upside down and the prop is off the shaft.

I personally am not terribly worried how well my alloy chassis will age. I think it will be just fine even if I choose to not coat it with anything at all..

Michael Fling

Supporter
Wow, I wish I knew how dangerous this was before I put over 1000 hours on my airplane with my family on board, or before I pulled 4 g's in aerobatic training. :huh:

Back