Another addicted to GT40s

Hi guys,

I'm Jean Phi a 38 yo French guy (nobody is perfect!) and totally addicted to GT40s. Younger, I admired these car from quite far away because they seems to be inaccessible. Fortunately, now I can plan on joining the builder community ... so I start learning as much as I can from this wonderful forum ... a great resources ... thanks to you guys.
I must say I'm quite admirative of the different builders on the forum and will enjoy following their path! I'm also a fan of Fran/RCR kits and his beautiful aluminium chassis!
I understood from you that the motor/trans/gearbox should be the first thing to be choosen.
I honestly have some difficulties so far to understand which elements are involved in GT40 motors and transmissions as this is not really my specialty and there is no standard parts definition. I don't know either how to differenciate the different motors on the US market. I think a 302i will fit my needs (mainly road with a bit of punch, let say 350 hp) but there is a huge variety of products out there ... is there some reading which could help developping my understanding ... thanks for advices!

In France, the government killed some years ago the kit car industry by implementing very demanding regulations ... so if a french guy could help me figuring out how to register the car or how to find turnaround for this stupid situation ... it will be great

As a conclusion, I wish all of you lot of success with your projects and I'm looking forward to discussing some topics on the forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Jean Phi (France, Uzes, temporarly moved to Boston USA! Colder than southern France for sure!)

Welcome to the forum, Jean. Forum member olivier is in Paris, so you may want to look up his user name and ask him about registering a GT40 in France. There are a couple other forum members in France, but their user names escape me right now.

I'm also stuck here in Boston, and have been for almost 20 years now. There are a few of us in New England who occasionally get together to drink beer and talk about GT40s, including forum members Brian, Steve Miller, Ben L, Charlie Murphy, Bill Hough, and some others. We envy the California guys who get together because they actually drive GT40s to their gatherings and we drive Hondas and pickup trucks. We keep hoping one of us will finish one some day...

Anyway, send me a PM if you want to be included in our next meeting (we seem to always have a guest from across the pond) or if you want to stop by and look at my RF build. Caution, you may end up with a sanding block in your hand...

Thanks guys for your welcome.

Mark, I will certainly appreciate to joining your GT40 fan team when you organize a meeting. Please let me know when you schedule this type of event.
Additionally, you cannot image the pleasure it could be for me to be introduced to your treasure ... I mean your GT !!! I'm exited to finally have the opportunity to meet one in person ... don't worry with sanding, this in fact I did a lot in the past (hobby building furnitures and various DIY activities), so I feel happy being in the dust!!!

Have a great day

Jean Phi

Back