audi 016 transaxle

Hello All, Il am a rookie with a bad english, sorry about that.

Il had read almost every archive thread about transaxle, from the begining to now . Il find very different opinion about the 016 trans. Sure it's depend what
you do with it, mine is an AFC code from a 5000 turbo,

The motor is a 4.6 QUAD.already fit in a GTD, and this car will be for sunday driving. After i will fix a reinforcing plate and add a LSD. Did you think that will be good enough? Or I must go for something else. If i still with the 4.6 quad my choice will be narrow, space is a problem, Il dont want to go with a 302 because i already have one in my cobra, so I want someting else.

Another big thing is, how long i will be able to get pieces for a transaxle of the 80's, next choice it's to go for a Quaife but i don't event know if it will fit.
Today i found on the getrag website a transaxle #GMTL380 which i don't know in which car it use that trans.if you have some infos. let me know

Please help me

Hello All, Il am a rookie with a bad english, sorry about that.

Il had read almost every archive thread about transaxle, from the begining to now . Il find very different opinion about the 016 trans. Sure it's depend what
you do with it, mine is an AFC code from a 5000 turbo,

The motor is a 4.6 QUAD.already fit in a GTD, and this car will be for sunday driving. After i will fix a reinforcing plate and add a LSD. Did you think that will be good enough? Or I must go for something else. If i still with the 4.6 quad my choice will be narrow, space is a problem, Il dont want to go with a 302 because i already have one in my cobra, so I want someting else.

Another big thing is, how long i will be able to get pieces for a transaxle of the 80's, next choice it's to go for a Quaife but i don't event know if it will fit.
Today i found on the getrag website a transaxle #GMTL380 which i don't know in which car it use that trans.if you have some infos. let me know

Please help me

Many parts for the 016 are already not available and it will only get worse. That gearbox hasn't been placed into a new car since 1991. It's also weaker than many of the newer Audi options.

thanks, Scott

What are those options , and are they small enough to fit with a 4.6 quad.
thank in advance if you can tell wich model so i can search for it.

Regards

Francois, your 016 should be fine if you have less than 350hp/tq and don't do any drop clutch burnouts. The ratios in your AFC coded box are good - about the best available in an 016. First gear is a bit short but usable, and, 5th will give you about 173mph at 6,000rpm on a 26.6 diameter wheel/tire. 60mph is a leasurely 2,400 rpm.

Kennedy Engineering makes a nice adapter plate for the 016 that may be available for your 4.6. There are so many of these boxes floating around that parts availability isn't bad. I've seen new and rebuilt 016 boxes available w/o too much trouble. Might be wise to get a second 016 so you have a spare in case your AFC doesn't have the longevity you plan on.

thanks, Scott

What are those options , and are they small enough to fit with a 4.6 quad.
thank in advance if you can tell wich model so i can search for it.

Regards

The 01E, 01Xm and 0A2 Found in many European Audis and VWs.
They are dimensionally similar to the 016, have more torque capacity and have replacement parts available.

They have the same codes, but a lot of FWD don't go to the US market, mostly AWD.
If you really want one I can help you source one (I'm in europe).

greetz,
Bram

Thanks ,Bram

Now i am in vacation for six month in Mexico and i will check here to find one of those
because I remember a guy tell me in mexico the model are the same from europe and not
the same in US.Maybe I will get lucky

Charlie M

Supporter
I didn't have much trouble finding an AFC box in the US. It was a little more money than the others though; I paid over $400 for it. I picked up a 5N for a spare for $250.

When I rebuilt the AFC I did have trouble finding some of the parts for it.

Charlie

Back