Audi 01E 6-speed

The 01X is a good choice, it's lighter due to it's all aluminium construction. It's a bit weaker than the 01E, it doesn't have the gear choices of the 01E, many parts such as ring and pinions, shafts, and cases you cannot purchase new (Audi's solution is to trans in your trans for a new/rebuilt one).

We've seen a few abused 01X's develop cracks in the main bearing case behind engined with modest horsepower (400hp).

If you have the option of 01E versus 01X I'd go for the 01E hands down unless weight is a consideration.

I got a REALLY good deal on the 01X, so I jumped on it, plus the ratios look really good. What can be done to make it stronger? Can the bearing case be replaced?

I guess I should clarify my question. Is there anything that can be done to the cases to fix that problem? Replace the surfaces, strengthen them via a girdle of some kind?

I'm sure it's possible but likely not cost effective taking into account the costs of stronger units.

But taking into account that many parts for the 01X aren't offered by the OEM, I'd shy away from investing alot of money strengthening those units.

Scott,

Do you know the function of the shift stub on the 01X? That is... when you move the shift lever to the left, is the shift stub supposed to move in or out? When you move the shift lever forward, does the shift stub move clockwise or counterclockwise?

Scott,

Do you know the function of the shift stub on the 01X? That is... when you move the shift lever to the left, is the shift stub supposed to move in or out? When you move the shift lever forward, does the shift stub move clockwise or counterclockwise?

I don't recall with the 01X and don't have a shifter assembly to look at.

The 01E has an earlier/later shifter setup, the earlier a pull to the right yields the shifter selection cylinder and shaft moveing in the opposite direction (to the left) and vice versa. The later setup is reversed as the pivot point for the shifting lever attached to the shift shaft and cylinder is under the shift shaft versus on top of it for the earlier.

I'd be willing to wager that the 01X is similar to the later 01E.

How can I check?
It appears that I was wrong. Here's the best picture I could find showing the 01X shifter linkage.

f7bb_1.JPG

This should be an 01X box and the ball socket is on the top of the lever ball. I'd have to look at the shifter box and lever and see if the shift rod attaches above or below the lever pivot point.

Back