Audi or Renault transaxle

we are hoping to visit Andy over the christmas period to order our kit and need to make a decision about a transaxle ,any input from current owners would be great , car will have a std 302 in it and will be used as a everyday car ,want to keep cost sensible as i got bittern when i built my Ultima and don,t want to go down that route again !! don,t feel the ratios on a g50 are right , looke like the std renault boxe is very easy to upgrade in the future but i do have good contacts for Audi boxes !! so not sure which way to go . simon

Hi Simon,

UN1!

Lightweight

Pupose built bell housing

Standard Ford disk & plate

Easy shifting

Rod change (better than cable shift)

Easily upgrades for outputs over 400 hp

Low cost, 1595 GBP RH change rebuilt from Andy

Merry Christmas!

Scott

ok thanks Scott makes very good sense !!! what is the final drive like ,the Ultima was always pretty awful on the motorways and did not make for relaxed cruising is the UN1 any better ??

Hi Simon
keep the power below 350Hp and the standard Renault UN1 will cope. As Scott says upgraded parts are available but on the expensive side. If you wanted relaxed motorway cruising go for the alternative 0.75 fifth gear ratio

Regards
Andy

Thanks Andy ,sounds like the un1 is the best way to go ,have heard that the shift is not very good !!! is this true or is it BS !!! going to start with a stock engine so under 350bhp should not be a problem !!

Malcolm

Supporter
The UN1 is a tried and tested solution in the UK. May not be the ultimate best but on a budget it is hard to fault. The gear shift has a number of solutions, to succeed each needs to be properly installed/adjusted and I think that is where most risk falling over. The cable system can work very well if set up correctly. It can work as quick as a solid rod link if set up but zero feel IMHO. The solid rod changes do work but the issue here is having the engine and box well tied down to the chassis as at one end you have it fixed to a moving lump (engine and box) and the other is solidly fixed to the chassis. You risk getting missed gears as the gate moves about! The quicker you wish to change gear at high rpm the more you will suffer on this. I am on my third gear shift system. The first was cable which was fine for many years. Heavily insulated against heat and put onto rose joints instead of knuckle joints. Worked fine but no feel as said above. Then I had my first rod change which gave me a first forward set up and a bit more feel but forever needed adjustment as the rear end is prone to getting mucky as grit and rose joints don't mix. My current system is a Southern GT cabin end which is the lightest and best feel gear shift system I have ever had and it is a replica ZF set up as well. The box end is still not right but Mick and I are working on a solution to this as first we think my ancient engine and box mounts are not helping at all. Its all down to your budget, but overall I am most happy with my renault box with a sub 400 bhp engine.

Simon,

If you use a geniune Tornado gear shift assembly and Tornado eng/axle mounts, your UN1 will shift beautifully.

Cheers,
Scott

Back