Audi transmission problems?

Hersh, according the the Audiworld Historical Model Guide, the Audi 4000 was available in the US from 1980 through 1987. Except for a few turbo diesels, it was never available as a turbo car. The Audi 4000 was a US model designation, and I think it corresponded to the Audi 200 in Europe, possibly the Audi 80/90. According to my Audi parts database, which does not cover US models, all Audi 200, 200 Quattro, 80/90 and 80/90 Quattro models used variants of the 016 transmission.

Ok. The shop where I took my transmission is run by a guy who manages the Champion's Audi A8 race team. Hershal's right about what he said re the Audi Quatro Transaxle mod. The only problem is that I don't know of anybody who has actually done it. What we are going to try first is swapping the ring and pinion gear out of a 944 box. This should give better ratios and hopefully shore up the weakest link. It will be a few months though before I'm ready to put it in the car but I will keep the forum advised.

I`d like to thank all for the replies, seems like an `almost` perfect match product for the average powered `40, food for thought though.
Cheers guys,
Stuart.

Just an update on switching the ring and pinion gear from a porsche 944 into the audi 016-it won't work. The shafts are clearly different. you would have to use the porsch 3rd and 4th gear which is a less favorable ratio than the existing audi gears. Fifth looks about the same (same # teeth and same diameter). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Seems the Audi boxes are plentiful but are not going to work to well for those guys that want a 2200 RPM cruise. Some handle the power, as Robert said if they are driven with concern, but drag racing will blow one up in short order.

I personally think it is easier to change the motor, that is, if you haven't built it yet. Build a motor that will rev and the gearbox problems become less of a problem.

7800 RPM max with a 25.6" tire and the 5N gives:

Ratio Max Speed
Final 4.11
First 3.60 40.27
Second 2.13 68.05
Third 1.36 106.59
Fourth 0.97 149.44
Fifth 0.73 198.57

This same motor in the AFC box I have gives:

Box S/N AFC
Ratio Max Speed
Final 3.89
First 3.60 42.54
Second 1.94 78.95
Third 1.23 124.52
Fourth 0.90 170.17
Fifth 0.72 212.71
RPM at 60mph 2642.63

Which looking at many other cars is reasonable on the shift points and speeds.

Ron

Which cost more...a 7800 rpm motor or a G50?
I'm thinking the G50 might be the better choice for street.

Actually I'm waiting for someone in the UK to pony up
and help locate/export 3U boxes...so far they haven't.

And what's the latest on Robert's new 5th gear?

MikeD

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, that was just considering being faced with Audi only choices which so many people are using.

3U boxes are cheap. I was able to get the last lot for around $250-300 each (and that was without looking) plus about the same in shipping, so around $550 delivered to my warehouse. But, it did take a lot of work and frankly, I don't think it is worth it. It still has an ultra short first gear and while it cruises much better it still isn't as good as a G50.

Ron

No argument...I was just addressing the highway RPM issue
of the US based 016 boxes. Certainly the G50 is better
than the 016 in all respects except cost.

Rufaz

The G50 will set you back $ 2000 to $ 4000 depending
upon condition/options. But if you already have a car
with the Audi trans...you'll have to pick up a new
engine adapter and clutch parts (another $ 1200) and you'll
have to modify your shifter, which can be a pain depending
upon design/location in car.

MikeD

Back