Audi / VW 5 Speed

I am going longitudinal and no there will be no stretch and i know the axle's will not be lined up but from what i have read i will be fine with anything under 25 degree's of angle and i think i will be at around 10 degree's

well i am going with a ZF 5hp19fl it should be fine for the stock abz and if i want i can upgrade it to handle more power level 10 makes parts for it or you can get a full blown transmission they claim is bullet proof check them out Audi Transmissions | Audi Torque Converter | Audi Valve Body

I'd really reconsider spending $5K+ on a transmission that has been known to slip after 350 ft/lbs regardless if it is "Bulletproofed" or not. Many a stage III Audi S4 Owner have found this out.

You'll also have to buy an aftermarket transmission controller to run the 5HP19 as the ABZ computer will not control it. (the A8 ABZ uses a 4HP24 or 5HP24).

Good luck.

Last edited:
oh ya i wouldn't spend $5000 on any transmission but i will spend $500 plus another $500 to make it shift faster than even a normal standard transmission and sure it wont handle 2000 ft lbs of torque but if it handle 350 to 400 ft lbs of torque with Little more then boosting line pressure that is good enough for allot of engines mine included and is cheaper then a 01x or 01e

oh ya i wouldn't spend $5000 on any transmission but i will spend $500 plus another $500 to make it shift faster than even a normal standard transmission and sure it wont handle 2000 ft lbs of torque but if it handle 350 to 400 ft lbs of torque with Little more then boosting line pressure that is good enough for allot of engines mine included and is cheaper then a 01x or 01e

Boost line pressure on a used trans and you will blow the clutch pistons (they get old and brittle after ~10 years). The front drum will also split as it's not designed to handle much more than stock line pressure.

I'm not sure how you will control the 5hp19 as the 4.2 was only installed with a 5hp24, electronics are a bit different.

Anyways good luck with your project, let us know how it works out.

i am sure i will end up with a after market ecu & tcu to control the engine and transmission . if it blows all the seals i will buy a rebuild kit and rebuild it as it wont be my first time with an automatic but it will be the first electronic controlled one

well Scott i have ordered the 034 motorsports flywheel insert so the automatic is not going to happen and it will be a standard i just wish i was using the 01x and not the 012 but i think i will be alright as long as i don't drop the clutch at 7 grand

Mark, have to say, I have an AFC coded 016 in my GT40 and it's really sweet. I bought an LSD off ebay for a few hundred bucks, installed that myself, and she's a treat. Gear ratios are very nice and appropriate for a GT40. If you're thinking about an 016 be sure to get one with the right ratios.....AFC is perfect.

I have started putting the engine on the cradle and i need to replace the rear cross memeberso the transmission will sit corectly. the photos show where the engine will sit as far as front to back
SSCN1294_2.JPG

SSCN1295_2.JPG

SSCN1298_1.JPG

i have the 012 so i will stick with it they are cheap to buy kinda like a bic lighter lol but was wondering what blows up on them

1-5 gears like to shed teeth. Diff's explode. There's alot that goes wrong with them as they are very light duty.

Scott i noticed that they put the 012 in the early boxsters did the do anything to make them better for the boxster or are they just the same weak transmission and what is the 5 speed transmission that the 2.7 boxsters used from 2000 up

Scott i noticed that they put the 012 in the early boxsters did the do anything to make them better for the boxster or are they just the same weak transmission and what is the 5 speed transmission that the 2.7 boxsters used from 2000 up

It's the same or very similar to the audi units.

Scott what do you know about this transmission i like it due to the axle location being moved to just behind the bellhousing flange it makes it work better in the fiero
$(KGrHqV,!hsE+nL(Kq9zBQGZqM)BS!~~60_12_1.jpg

Scott what do you know about this transmission i like it due to the axle location being moved to just behind the bellhousing flange it makes it work better in the fiero
$%28KGrHqV,%21hsE+nL%28Kq9zBQGZqM%29BS%21%7E%7E60_12_1.jpg

That is an 0B series box.. I've not had my hands on that one. It's primarily used in 4 cylinders. There's 4 different versions and the ones behind the V6 turbo diesels are probably the best to use.

However the clutch setup required is pretty bizarre. a few of my customers have looked into this and due to the width of the box, the cv angles are not optimal.

thought i would post a few pictures of my progress
SSCN1305_2.JPG

SSCN1306_2.JPG

SSCN1307_2.JPG

SSCN1308_2.JPG

SSCN1309_1.JPG

SSCN1310_2.JPG

as you can see i put two new cross-members in and used the stock front Audi mount and made a new block mount on the drivers side . the transmission mounts just come straight up off the rear cross-member and catch a bolt hole on each side . Scott do carrie the Porsche boxster transmission linkage

Back