AVIATION - Fact or Fiction??

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I agree with David...

I've saved every episode of Black Sheep Squadron (35 of them) - I could listen to those Corsairs all day and never get tired of them..

I was lucky enough to meet Pappy Boyington when I was younger. When they were filming the Black Sheep Squadron they did most of the island overflight scenes off of Anacapa island in So. California. They would often fly the Corsairs from Oxnard airport which is where my dad flew from. When the planes were there my dad would take me out there to watch them take off or land. Pappy was a technical advisor on the show and was around every once in a while. I was lucky enough to meet him a few times. He was very nice to me and my father and was nice enough to sign a copy of his book for me, which I still have. Great memories.

Check these out!

http://www.americanaeroservices.com/videos.htm

Videos to make a radial engine lover's heart flutter! Very cool footage of startups, taxis, takeoffs, landings, and flybys of a few of the best known radial engined warbirds. Even a humorous carrier landing "crash" advertisement featuring an F4U.

F4U Corsair

B17G Flying Fortress

B25 Mitchell

B24 Liberator - Currently the only one in flyable condition. Pretty rare footage.

Hawker Sea Fury

Even a P-51 Mustang for the Merlin fans out there.

Enjoy!

Pappy Boyington used to appear at many Fly-ins on the West Coast and I was able to talk with him several times, Usually the Japanese pilot who shot him down was there also promoting his own book.
Both of them were very interesting characters.
Dave

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 1.35pt; PADDING-LEFT: 135pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1.35pt; WIDTH: 100%; PADDING-TOP: 1.35pt" width="100%"><TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 100%" cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; WIDTH: 100%; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt" width="100%"><TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 100%" cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; WIDTH: 99.68%; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt" width="99%">You could not make this up...........
<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 1.35pt; PADDING-LEFT: 135pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1.35pt; WIDTH: 100%; PADDING-TOP: 1.35pt" width="100%"><TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 100%" cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; WIDTH: 100%; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt" width="100%"><TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 100%" cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; WIDTH: 99.68%; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt" width="99%">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 100%" cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; WIDTH: 100%; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt" width="100%"><TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 100%" cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; WIDTH: 99.68%; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt" width="99%">These are pictures of the wreck of a brand new A340-600 in November 2007. The plane had never flown one paying flight. Brand spanking new right out of the hanger, with only flight test time in the log. Enter the Arab flight crew. Thank the French and the crew for this 'comedy of errors'.
Nine employees of the airline were in the aircraft, but not one employee from French Airbus was present. The pilots taxied out to the run-up area. Then they took all four engines to takeoff power with virtually an empty aircraft.

This was their first mistake as they obviously didn't read the run-up manuals. They had no clue just how light an empty Airbus really is. No chocks were set, not that it would have mattered at that power setting anyway - the brakes will not hold it back at full power.

As it turns out, the takeoff warning horn was blaring away in the cockpit because they had all 4 engines at full power.
The aircraft computers thought the crew were trying to takeoff but it had not been configured properly (flaps etc, etc).
Then one of the pilots decided to pull the 'Ground Sense' circuit breaker to silence the alarms. This fools the aircraft into thinking it is in the air. That was their last mistake.
As soon as they did that, the computers automatically released all of the brakes and sent the aircraft rocketing forward. The poor beggars had no idea that this is a safety feature so that pilots can't land with the brakes on.

There was no time to stop now, and no one smart enough to throttle back the engines from their maximum power setting anyway. So the end result was as you see it below.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>If I can post these pictures some time today .....</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited:
Here you go David

airbus.jpg

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
French investigators state that the Airbus A340-600 involved in an accident at Airbus’ plant in Toulouse last week was undergoing a final test of the engines and brakes when it accelerated from standstill into the test-pen wall.

No technical malfunction has been found in either the Rolls-Royce Trent 500 powerplants or the A340’s brakes.

France’s Bureau d’Enquetes et d’Analyses has released preliminary findings after downloading information from the aircraft’s flight-data and cockpit-voice recorders.

BEA says the aircraft, which was due to be delivered to Etihad Airways on 21 November was at a standstill but that the wheels were not chocked.

Initial information from the flight recorders, it says, shows that all four engines were operating at “high power” for around three minutes.

BEA says the aircraft then began to move forward and the A340 struck the blast-wall about 13s later.

“At this stage no technical fault with the braking systems and engines has been discovered,” it adds. “The investigation is continuing to determine the exact circumstances under which the incident occurred.”

Nine personnel from Airbus and United Arab Emirates engineering company Abu Dhabi Aircraft Technologies were on board the jet at the time, five of whom were hospitalised as a result of the 15 November accident.

Famous last words when the crew got off the aeroplane again:
Will it be ready for the morning chief ?

Last edited:
Back